Research Participation Request: Asexuality and Intimate Relationships

Jarle

Hi all, 

The following is from Alyssa Clark from the Illinois State University:

I am master's student at Illinois State University and I am conducting a survey regarding asexual people's attitudes to and experiences of romantic partner relationships.  I am inviting your participation, which involves filling out an online questionnaire.  Participation in the task will take approximately 15 minutes.

Note that you do not have to identify as asexual to participate in this study.  I am interested in the opinions of people of all sexualities (asexual, heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, pansexual, etc.).  The only requirement for participation is that you must be at least 18 years of age.  Upon completion of the survey you will have the opportunity to be entered into a raffle for a $20 Amazon.com gift card.

If you would like to take the survey, please follow this link:

https://illinoisstate.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0VZKTkPbCPyyI17

You will be directed to a consent form.  If you consent, you will be directed to the survey.

Please note that while you must be a US-citizen to enter the raffle for the gift card, responses from all nationalities are welcome. 

Content Warning: Explicit sexual content (description of behaviours), and contains questions regarding gender binary. 

This study has been approved by the AVEN Research Approval Board. 

For those wondering, you can still do the survey even if you have never been in a relationship or had sex. They ask you a lot of questions about your ideas of sex, but later on they ask whether you have ever experienced it yourself.

1 hour ago, Grimalkin said:

For those wondering, you can still do the survey even if you have never been in a relationship or had sex.

Applies to me. There was one page that didn't accept zero answers so I was forced to answer "1". (Zero is my hero.) I commented about this so maybe they will correct it. No interest in the gift certificate raffle. If I got the thing I'd never use it. I play this spiteful game with credit card companies generously offering me their little plastic mouse traps., The survey seemed sincere so these tactics seemed inappropriate. Keep your gift cards and frequent flier miles. There's too much greed, stupidity and carbon dioxide in this world of mine - and they are increasing! 

The gender identity question was structured badly - "transgender" is not a gender identity of its own, it means you don't identify as the gender you were assigned at birth and it's an umbrella term for trans men, trans women and non-binary people. Some non-binary people identify as both non-binary and transgender. Also, non-binary is an umbrella term itself, it encapsulates every gender identity outside of the binary "man" or "woman". Genderfluid is a specific non-binary identity that falls under the non-binary umbrella.

InfiniteNull
On 8/17/2018 at 5:42 AM, Light02 said:

The gender identity question was structured badly - "transgender" is not a gender identity of its own, it means you don't identify as the gender you were assigned at birth and it's an umbrella term for trans men, trans women and non-binary people. Some non-binary people identify as both non-binary and transgender. Also, non-binary is an umbrella term itself, it encapsulates every gender identity outside of the binary "man" or "woman". Genderfluid is a specific non-binary identity that falls under the non-binary umbrella.

While the technical meaning behind it absolutely doesn't fit... I am sure there are some who feel more comfortable identifying as "Transgender" than as their chosen gender, yet they also don't feel that non-binary genders fit. For example, someone in early transition who hasn't decided what their gender is might benefit from having this option. 

I do think I agree with you though, that it might have made more sense to leave it off and to let people fill that kind of detail in on the other button. 

I took the survey :) some of the questions seemed pretty relevant... It'd be super interesting to see some of the correlations between the repeated questions! I'd looooove to see the data after the fact.

• 1 month later...
ArchangelAlbatross

I feel old or ignorant or prudish and even embarrassed by some Qs.

I'd feel very awkward after filling out some of it if I wasn't on this site... which made answering honestly easier.

Archived