• 9 - 12 times
    • 13 - 15 times
    • 16 - 20 times
    • 21 - 25 times
    • 26 - 30 times
    • 31 - 40 times
    • 41 - 52 times
    • MOre than 52 times
  3. 3. What ways have you watched films in the last year?

• Cinema
    • TV - free to air
    • TV - subscription (paid TV)
    • Subscription to movie channels specifically
    • Through streaming service like Netflix
    • BluRay
    • DVD
    • VHS
    • Projector
    • Drive Through cinema
    • Another way
  4. 4. Have you attended a film festival in the last 5 year?

• On a yearly basis
    • 3 or 4 times out of 5
    • 1 or 2 times out of 5
    • Not in the last 5 years
  5. 5. Of the 9 films nominated for best film in 2018, which of them have you seen

• Call me by your name
    • Darkest Hour
    • Dunkirk
    • Get Out
    • Lady Bird
    • Phantom Thread
    • The Post
    • The Shape of Water
    • Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
    • none of the films listed

This poll is closed to new votes

poll about film and cinema

1) my picks are comedy, coming of age, animation and foreign language

2) I was at the cinema 8 times in the last year

3) cinema, DVD, TV (all three types)

4) I saw 4 of the Oscar animated films - phantom thread, call me by your name, lady bird and Dunkirk. Call me by your name is my favourite of those.

Grumpy Alien

1. What is your favourite genres of movie/films
Comedy, period dramas, documentaries, romcoms when it actually has a good plot, psychological thrillers, family (Disney), and superhero (Marvel)
2. How many times a year would you go to the cinema approximately

Approx 1-2 times... but usually 0-1 if left up to me but my fiance LOVES movies and has a free thing with Cineworld so I get discounts. I'll go if it looks good but I don't generally enjoy going to the movie theater unless it's amazing.

3. What ways have you watched films in the last year?

Cinema, streaming, DVD, and... I said both tv but idk bc there's no free tv here and I didn't watch any films on tv in the UK? I have seen some from basic cable networks (not premium networks where you subscribe to that channel?) so I'll count that as free...

4. Have you attended a film festival in the last 5 year?

Never. Are there film festivals for regular people? I've only heard of Cannes. Anyway, I'd hate that.

5. Of the 9 films nominated for best film in 2018, which of them have you seen

I've seen Darkest Hour and The Shape of Water. I liked them both.

everywhere and nowhere

Btw... drive-in cinemas seem an almost exclusively American invention, here there are no such things. But do people really watch movies from inside their cars? And why???? Are they so lazy that they can't walk the distance between the parking lot and the cinema?

To make it clear, I'm a 100% non-motorist and quite critical of cars, I consider them the way of transport which is most actively hostile to cities and the environment in general. I very much support measures aimed at reducing car traffic.

Knight of Cydonia

1) Genres: Action, adventure, fantasy, horror, sci-fi, thriller, superhero

2) Cinema visits: 1-2 times per year

3) Methods of watching: Cinema, movie channel subscriptions, Netflix

4) Film festival visits: not in the last 5 years (I've only gone once ever, for an English project in high school)

5) 2018 best films seen: Get Out, The Shape of Water, Three Billboards

1. Comedy, animation, documentaries, horror, thrillers, and sci-fi.

2. 3-5 times per year I guess.

3. Cinema, TV(both free and subscription), Netflix, and DVD.

4. I’ve never attended a film festival.

5. I’ve only seen Get Out out of those.

Drive-in theaters had their heyday several decades ago. There are probably still some around, but not as many as there used to be. It's a different experience than going into a movie theater where you sit down inside in rows of seats. There is (or was? do they use apps and your phone or something like that now?) a speaker on a cable at each parking spot which you would put inside your car. So the sound quality was different. They usually charged by the car. So sometimes a group of teenagers or a family would all pile into a car and go to the drive-in. Since you were in your own car it was also a bit more private (or at least somewhat separated from other people). It was also a popular way to go to the movies on dates, to make out while you "watched" the movie. Families might take their kids, with the kids in their pajamas. The kids could fall asleep or watch the movie. If they fell asleep the parents could just drive them back home after the movie was over. Drive-in movies had their pros and cons, and worked pretty well for places like southern California with its mild weather and car culture. Although I think it's been well over 50 years since I last went to one (which was as a kid; my parents would take me and my siblings - a good deal for a large family, and they didn't have to also pay for a babysitter).

1.  Action, adventure, fantasy, science fiction, mystery, superhero, and, on very rare occasions, slice of life films

2.  3-5 times a year, depending on what's out

3.  Movie theater, Netflix, over the air/digital

4.  Never been to a film festival. Not really my type of thing

5.  Of the ones listed above, I've only seen Dunkirk (excellent historical piece).

As for drive-ins, like daveb says, those were a different time and place. Drive-ins go hand-in-hand with American car culture. My parents took us to one here in town shortly before it shut down and it was an interesting experience. First and foremost, if you didn't have an open bed pickup truck, a convertible, a station wagon you could back in and then drop the tailgate down to sit on, or bring lawn chairs to sit outside the car, the only people who could actually see the screen were the ones in the front seat. Also, if you were at a multi-screen drive-in, you could watch the other films which were running at the same time - you just didn't get to hear the dialogue! I personally found the experience fascinating and unnerving at the same time since we were outside, under the dark sky watching these massive screens and shivering because, in summer, it gets chilly even in semi-arid climates.

Now the same lot where the drive-in used to be is home to a 24 screen theater with those ridiculous recliners that only make me want to fall asleep. It's hard finding a decent movie theater that doesn't cater to such nonsense any more. At least they don't upcharge for the experience like some of the other theaters in town do. However, it really, really annoys me that you have to negotiate for every frelling seat just to go a movie these days.

meant to get out of the house to go see Get Out, but didn't get around to it (lol) but on a serious note, I'm way too much of a homebody for my own good. I remember a few years ago Belle came out, the story of Dido Belle from the famous portrait with her cousin, and she was famous for being one if the only classical painted black women at the time. She was sort of made to look like a servant, but from the pearls to the fineness of her smock, you can tell she wasn't an average Black person during the time. I wish someone would do some research to prove once and for all that Sophie Charlotte was Black as well.

SpaceDustbin

1) favourite genres: sci-fi, Western, thriller, and the occasional musical and animated movie

2) ever since I decided it's ok to go to the cinema alone (and having a cinema in walking distance), it's been 12ish times a year - depending on the movies as well. Before it would be closer to 1-3 times a year 

3) I watch movies in cinema, on Netflix, and use DVD/Blu-ray. 

4) no film festival

5) I've seen Dunkirk and Darkest Hour

LadyWallflower

I have a confession to make. Most films I watch, I watch on the plane.

Action, comedy, adventure 

Once in 35 years 

DVD, Blu-ray 

No 

None 

SpookyNameHere

1. Action, adventure, comedy, horror, superhero, fantasy

2. I never actually go out to see movies. Not usually

3. DVD/blu-ray

4. Never been to one

5. Never seen any of those

So something I have always found odd is the genre of the "foreign film." I mean, I'm Canadian technically La La land is a foreign film to me. 

WinterWanderer

I primarily watch either Netflix, or movies owned by friends/family members when I happen to be at their places. I generally don't have money to splurge on entertainment. So I don't really buy DVDs or go see movies. Sometimes (maybe once or twice a year) I will spend $2-5 on a movie on Google Play or another online service.

• 1 year later...

@iff

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived