Bye Mom, I'm moving to Asgardia in Space

The Dryad

I don't know how many other people on AVEN are following the developments of Asgardia or even how many people know about it. So if you don't know, Asgardia is basically a Space Station nation, that hasn't been builted yet, but has a Russian billionaire elected for it's first ruler/president, and about 200,000 pledged citizens. I've also heard that IQ tests might be a requirement for citizenship.

Is anyone interested in becoming a citizen of Asgardia? Is anyone else worried about gene mutation and other side effects of living so far away from Earth?

Anthracite_Impreza
9 minutes ago, The Dryad said:

I've also heard that IQ tests might be a requirement for citizenship.

Ableist, just sayin'.

2 minutes ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Ableist, just sayin'.

Yeah, I find it strange that a "country" would do this, but it is ableist... I know different country can have different laws and policies, and just because it's being founded in this time, doesn't mean it will adopt the same policies we have developed. I think they're mostly looking to create a country of "only smart people" so it looks good. Already they're failing (looks like another Auroville in the making).

Anthracite_Impreza
1 minute ago, The Dryad said:

Yeah, I find it strange that a "country" would do this, but it is ableist... I know different country can have different laws and policies, and just because it's being founded in this time, doesn't mean it will adopt the same policies we have developed. I think they're mostly looking to create a country of "only smart people" so it looks good. Already they're failing (looks like another Auroville in the making).

I have a low IQ, officially, yet I was the second highest scorer in GCSE in my school. I know lots of people in the same boat, or who are so knowledgeable about certain things (but not others) it'd blow your mind. IQ is a truly shitty way of deciding who is smart.

But even discounting that, I'd rather be stuck in a tin can with nice, moral people with low IQs than big-headed, smart ones any day (not that everyone with a high IQ is big-headed, but they can be).

I think so far the only people to be affected by space have been male, but I may be wrong. So, I'm not super concerned about space.

Me as a kid, watching the first space shuttle launch 

"Mum, when I grow up I want to be shot into space" 

Mum - "If your father had done as he was told, you would have been" 😋 😋 

8 hours ago, The Dryad said:

but has a Russian billionaire elected for it's first ruler/president, and about 200,000 pledged citizens. I've also heard that IQ tests might be a requirement for citizenship.

Did anyone else read this line and immediately think that they might not be screening for average or high IQ in this case?

Cynical, I know.

Anthracite_Impreza
9 hours ago, Cimmerian said:

Did anyone else read this line and immediately think that they might not be screening for average or high IQ in this case?

Cynical, I know.

You make an excellent point there.

9 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Me as a kid, watching the first space shuttle launch 

"Mum, when I grow up I want to be shot into space" 

Mum - "If your father had done as he was told, you would have been" 😋 😋 

click me

12 hours ago, Cimmerian said:

Cynical, I know.

Yes, especially if they only want "smart people" applying for citizenship...

20 hours ago, Anthracite_Impreza said:

I have a low IQ, officially, yet I was the second highest scorer in GCSE in my school. I know lots of people in the same boat, or who are so knowledgeable about certain things (but not others) it'd blow your mind. IQ is a truly shitty way of deciding who is smart.

But even discounting that, I'd rather be stuck in a tin can with nice, moral people with low IQs than big-headed, smart ones any day (not that everyone with a high IQ is big-headed, but they can be).

Exactly, I believe there are more well-rounded forms of intelligence than I, seeing as how you can have/study for a high I, but fail in society, lack grace and manners, etc.

Billionaire elected as it's president huh. Russian to boot. And IQ tests to get in.

I really don't see any red flags here whatsoever. No sir.

Bone density loss in zero-gravity.  Thats enough for me to say 'no thanks'.  I don't want to end up as a floating Faberge egg.

It seems that the population of Asgardia has reached over, or almost over 250,000, a blend of celebrities and scientists mostly, maybe with some idealists sprinkled in. It doesn't have a physical state yet, only a satellite "about the size of a bread loaf"..... 🍞

Lol.

GutsyCowardLep

Its a cool idea then when the world ends we can reenact the 100. (TV show)

9 hours ago, The Dryad said:

It seems that the population of Asgardia has reached over, or almost over 250,000, a blend of celebrities and scientists mostly, maybe with some idealists sprinkled in. It doesn't have a physical state yet, only a satellite "about the size of a bread loaf"..... 🍞

Lol.

Thats fine, all we need is a really good blender.

• 3 weeks later...
J. van Deijck

I just really want to go to Belgium first.

9 minutes ago, [noize:injekktion] said:

I just really want to go to Belgium first.

I want to move to France, but honestly, Asgardia seems really exciting, and I'm interested. Reality is this isn't exactly marketed as some Utopia like Auroville was, but....it was a total flop because of the crime rate and threats- my concern is, if you're in danger of rape or someone tries to kill you or steals from you- you're stuck in the space orbit- even smart people are criminals who have no moral compass.

Wow, I'd do nearly anything to go to space!!! Seems a bit questionable, though. Just cause you got a good IQ doesn't mean you're a good citizen.

I'll stick with my fellow idiots thanks.

BTW I've heard about this and it seems horrible. I don't think it'd even be right to call a space civilization "advanced" if they discriminate based not only on IQ but anything at all. If it's gonna be a true Utopia then everyone should be treated equally not just smartasses and government officials.

On 8/18/2018 at 8:57 PM, The Dryad said:

Lol.

Does anyone else think their society won't last very long with that sort of population? :P

10 hours ago, Cimmerian said:

Does anyone else think their society won't last very long with that sort of population? :P

They're probably hoping to get more support and members, but that's doubtful with their restrictions...

On 8/19/2018 at 5:18 AM, GuzziHero said:

Thats fine, all we need is a really good blender.

Cue ancient music from the depths of youtube.

Will it blend? That is the question.

I signed up when it was first announced, but I haven't really been keeping up with it. I got an email about an election the other day? I thought that if it becomes reality during my lifetime, so sure. Until then I'm not going to do much about it though

About the intelligence tests for citizenship thing - it might sound good, especially if they could somehow put together a measurement system that's a bit more accurate than the current IQ tests. But it only works for the first generation of citizens. Regression is a thing that has been noted through history, exceptionally intelligent and talented parents' offsprings will probably be much closer to average than their parents. So what do they do to not-intelligent-enough kids? They exile them? Or they just don't get the equal rights as the exceptional ones? Or the IQ limit is only for generation 0, so they can make it work?

I'm really curious what their plan is abut this situation.

On 9/15/2018 at 4:15 PM, MaeveTheRaven said:

About the intelligence tests for citizenship thing - it might sound good, especially if they could somehow put together a measurement system that's a bit more accurate than the current IQ tests. But it only works for the first generation of citizens. Regression is a thing that has been noted through history, exceptionally intelligent and talented parents' offsprings will probably be much closer to average than their parents. So what do they do to not-intelligent-enough kids? They exile them? Or they just don't get the equal rights as the exceptional ones? Or the IQ limit is only for generation 0, so they can make it work?

I'm really curious what their plan is abut this situation.

I'm thinking they're probably gonna prioritize education to get the highest IQ as possible? Kids are probably going to be doing algebra at age three. My worry is about their governing body, I read an article that already infers that it's corrupt....or on it's way.

Archived