Can you be aromantic with crushes/squishes?

HeyMan

I'm sorry if someone else has already covered this topic, but I need advice.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

I feel like such an idiot because I don't know how to get rid of these

Hi

Boo! Gotcha

Spoiler
Spoiler

😁

😚

😊

☺️

I am almost 16 years old, and that may be young but I have never felt sexual attraction. Is it normal for sixteen year olds to fell sexual? It confuses me. Like all my friends said that they'd want to have sex, and I felt confused. All my celebrity "crushes" have been purely on their aesthetics. I have never wanted to have sex with them. I can't get behind the idea that teenagers feel sexual at all... I'm pretty sure I'm asexual.

As for me being aromantic, I think I have had crushes before. And can you be aromantic while having squishes and crushes? Because I still don't desire a romantic relationship.

1. My first crush was when I was 13. I liked him a lot, but I never wanted to kiss him. I just wanted us to be close friends. 

2. My second "crush" was purely just aesthetic attraction. He was very handsome but I didn't want a relationship. I did get flustered around him before, though. Is that something?

3. My third crush was on this boy who was unique. His voice was deep and he had cool hair. I just wanted to be friends with him. After I talked with him one day, the feelings kind of went away. I think that I just wanted to get to know him. I could never imagine kissing him or being in a romantic relationship.

4. My last crush was on the coolest boy ever. He was so smart and I really looked up to him. He had beautiful eyes. And I remember feeling infatuated with him. 

My feelings toward romance are weird. I feel like I used to want a relationship, but now I'm 100% sure that I don't. I  remember my feelings for those boys, but I wouldn't have wanted to pursue a relationship. And I don't get kissing at all, it's weird and gross. Like why would anyone want that?

Another thing, my brother talks about this girl he likes and I don't get it AT ALL! He always wants to talk to her and I'd hate that. He also wants to hold her and he's always talking about her. Like I know I would never want a relationship like that. I just love my cats and my fish, but I don't want to be alone when I'm older. 

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Much love!

Anthracite_Impreza

Your crushes all sound like squishes to me, since you say you wouldn't want a romantic relationship with them but wouldn't mind a platonic one. Also, aesthetic-only 'crushes' have nothing to do with romance, it just means you find them nice to look at. So yeah I'd say you're aro, but if you feel you might be able to be romantic rarely you could be grey-romantic.

Moved from Questions about Asexuality to Romantic and Aromantic Orientations.

TheAP

Questions about Asexuality mod

To get rid of the spoilers, on a computer, try highlighting them and pressing the "delete" key.

You sound mostly aero to me. None of those things sound like anything other than an interest in human beings. Platonic curiosity. The desire to be their friends, or just to be aquainted with them, or even just an appreciation for their existence seperate from any desire at all.

All The Thoughts

Good to hear it’s starting to get easier identifying the different attractions! I would agree with the others that your crushes sound more like squishes but if you have anymore questions, I’ll try to respond as best as I can

Archived