Hello Aces of the Internet!!! :)

DekaVow

I want to start by saying THANK YOU to all of the people at AVEN (moderators, staff, etc) that make this network possible. Community is important - and I'm so happy this one exists.

Well... here it goes...

I'm 26 years old and only recently discovered that I was different. I was oblivious - all through high school and even through college. Call me naive, but I always just kind of thought that everyone else was exaggerating - playing up their feelings, for attention or some other unknown reason. I never really thought about it...  I didn't think about sex at all, so somehow, I didn't realize everyone around me WAS thinking about it. I figured I just "hadn't met the right person yet" (Jeez, I hate that phrase now), I figured it would happen when it was supposed to happen and it would just "click" and come naturally when that magical person came along. At least that's what people told me. None of that ever happened. I was focused on getting great grades in school, and then, on getting the best start in my career once I had my degree. Dating and relationships never featured highly in my mind. I can count on one hand the number of "crushes" I've had in my entire life.

When I found the term asexual, it felt like an epiphany. I felt seen, like I was not broken. I felt like a lot of things I had found confusing in past situations/friendships now finally made sense. It felt like I was truly seeing myself for the first time, which is amazing.  But at the same time, I was also seeing the rest of the world for the first time. And that is terrifying.  I want to have real connections and find a true partner but I'm scared - is that even possible for me? I guess that's what I'm trying to find out.

I wish I had discovered my asexuality sooner - it would have saved me a lot of tears/frustration over the years. There were so many signs I missed - so my goal now is to make up for lost time. I want to get to know myself as authentically, openly and vulnerably as I can. 

As the great RuPaul says... "If you can't love yourself, how the hell are you gonna love somebody else?" I've felt alone all my life, but now I feel hopeful that maybe, just maybe, this is a community where I can feel like I truly belong.

If you've read this far - I'm sorry I've rambled on like this. Thank you so much for listening! :D

Duke Memphis

Congratulations on finding yourself and your identity!

Welcome to AVEN, and help yourself to cake and community! :cake::cake::cake:

Props for quoting RuPaul, by the way- that's a great way to introduce yourself. 

ôÿē èîęēú ïė ēôēįîûôø

@DekaVow Hi! Welcome to heAVEN! There's an infinite amount of :cake: here, so feel free to take as much as you want!

Hi :) 

I love your intro. 26 is a wonderful age and you've got plenty of time to meet someone truly compatible. Welcome and good luck! 

Hi DekaVow, welcome to the community 😸images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-5-SRRThhMD-JupUxPBZ

NickyTannock

@DekaVow Welcome to AVEN!

And yes it is possible for Asexuals to form relationships.

10.jpg

Anthracite_Impreza

Welcome to AVEN :)

Welcome! It’s always a good idea to get to know yourself and understand yourself better :) 

chocolate-chocolate+cake.jpg

Archived