Ninjaface

Is a relationship between Asexuality and the Schizoid personality

Recommended Posts

Ninjaface

I think I fall under both groups and I often wonder if one is a result of the other and are there any asexual extroverts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NerotheReaper

It is good to remember that correlation does not imply causation. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MichaelTannock

Welcome to AVEN!

 

I don't believe there's a link.

10.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lichley

There are, but they’re less likely to be on the forum sites. As well as this we just had someone join today who is an extrovert. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ficto.
1 hour ago, Elephantface said:

I think I fall under both groups and I often wonder if one is a result of the other and are there any asexual extroverts?

There are heaps of asexual extroverts (asexuals come in all sorts of shapes and sizes!) however a lot of people with schizoid personality disorder are asexual or at least have asexual tendencies for whatever reason :)

 

Not a lot of asexuals have schizoid personality disorder just to clarify, but a lot of schizoid people have asexual tendencies, if that makes sense? :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sally

Don't see what having schizoid personality has to do with being an extrovert, but neither have any relationship to asexuality.  Asexuality's an orientation, not a personality type.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Laplace

Asexuality or sexual disinterest CAN be a symptom of schizoid PD I believe so it is somewhat related. I’m currently diagnosed with anxiety, but I’m considering going back to a psychologist in case I also have SPD as well (I won’t self-diagnose but it’d explain quite a bit). SPD is defined largely by detachment, a loss of affect, and a tendency to be very private and avoiding emotional disclosure. Individuals often seem emotionless, robotic, or oddly calm. This naturally leads a schizoid individual to probably be more likely to be asexual than the average person. Physical contact can also be uncomfortable. To be fair though, there are some examples of schizoid individuals having sex purely for physical gratification and completely separate themselves emotionally from the act and the intimacy often required for it, but I believe that’s not as common.

 

Overall, SPD is more about emotional detachment and a loss of affect rather than being strictly asexual or even being an introvert. It has a great deal in common with disorders like schizophrenia, as the similar names imply. In general though, I believe people with this personality are more likely to be asexual relative to the average person. As @FictoVore. stated, some individuals with SPD may be asexual or have asexual characteristics, but not all asexual people have SPD (nor are all of them introverted for that manner either 👍).

 

Extra Note: People with SPD aren’t necessarily asocial either and can have friends. It’s just these relationships tend to be based on a non-emotional connection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Confirmed Bachelor
12 hours ago, Sally said:

Don't see what having schizoid personality has to do with being an extrovert, but neither have any relationship to asexuality.  Asexuality's an orientation, not a personality type.  

I see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ninjaface
10 hours ago, Laplace said:

Asexuality or sexual disinterest CAN be a symptom of schizoid PD I believe so it is somewhat related. I’m currently diagnosed with anxiety, but I’m considering going back to a psychologist in case I also have SPD as well (I won’t self-diagnose but it’d explain quite a bit). SPD is defined largely by detachment, a loss of affect, and a tendency to be very private and avoiding emotional disclosure. Individuals often seem emotionless, robotic, or oddly calm. This naturally leads a schizoid individual to probably be more likely to be asexual than the average person. Physical contact can also be uncomfortable. To be fair though, there are some examples of schizoid individuals having sex purely for physical gratification and completely separate themselves emotionally from the act and the intimacy often required for it, but I believe that’s not as common.

 

Overall, SPD is more about emotional detachment and a loss of affect rather than being strictly asexual or even being an introvert. It has a great deal in common with disorders like schizophrenia, as the similar names imply. In general though, I believe people with this personality are more likely to be asexual relative to the average person. As @FictoVore. stated, some individuals with SPD may be asexual or have asexual characteristics, but not all asexual people have SPD (nor are all of them introverted for that manner either 👍).

 

Extra Note: People with SPD aren’t necessarily asocial either and can have friends. It’s just these relationships tend to be based on a non-emotional connection.

From what I have read SPD is quite different from schizophrenia 

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-schizoid-personality-disorder-and-simple-schizophrenia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Laplace
5 minutes ago, Ninjaface said:

They share stuff like anhedonia, blunted affect, emotional detachment, and loss of volition. People with schizoid PD also have a higher risk of schizophrenia and relatives of people with schizophrenia have a higher incidence of schizoid PD. They aren’t exactly the same obviously but schizophrenia, schizoid PD, and schizotypal PD share a fair range of symptoms and, IIRC, are all considered to be schizophrenia spectrum disorders. Schizophrenia definitely has it’s own set of very extreme symptoms and it shouldn’t be confused w/ schizoid PD, but they still share some core symptoms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now