tygersongbird

No, Pamela Anderson. Asexuals aren't just broken nerds afraid of sex

Recommended Posts

MichaelTannock

I heard about that in this thread, 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheAP

I'd like to add that there is also nothing wrong with not feeling romantic attraction, and that it doesn't mean you're just afraid of love.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nowhere Girl

I'm afraid of sex and there's nothing wrong with that.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bronztrooper

Already saw the original article on the thread @MichaelTannock linked, but it's no less frustrating.

 

At least the article linked here is positive towards asexuality and is also informative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yeast

Never watched Baywatch. It all seemed like some kiddie show for young adult males. So that's P. Anderson? Icky. She's neither attractive inside nor outside. It's the ad banner that caught my attention the most. GAY OR STRAIGHT - EVERYBODY LIKES WHITE TEETH. Golly. I never thought I'd live to see the day when what were once called homosexuals become part of mainstream marketing.  Maybe someday the ad will go : whether you like sex or not - everyone likes white teeth. It might happen. It will happen!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
uhtred
1 hour ago, Nowhere Girl said:

I'm afraid of sex and there's nothing wrong with that.

I might disagree. I think fear is never good.  Wouldn't it be better to not ever want sex as opposed to "fearing" sex.   Maybe that is what you mean depending on the meaning of "afraid". 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
StormySky

P. Anderson, just cause you like something we don't doesn't mean that there's something wrong with us.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bronztrooper
5 hours ago, StormySky said:

P. Anderson, just cause you like something we don't doesn't mean that there's something wrong with us.

That goes for literally anything, tbh.

 

Unless people get harmed in the process, at least

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Madao

People should educate themselves before making comments on anything. It's better to give no advice rather than giving a wrong advice. I am not a gamer, and I am asexual. My sister is a gamer, and she's not asexual. I never watched Baywatch though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bronztrooper
6 minutes ago, Madao said:

People should educate themselves before making comments on anything. It's better to give no advice rather than giving a wrong advice. I am not a gamer, and I am asexual. My sister is a gamer, and she's not asexual. I never watched Baywatch though. 

But don't you know?  Pamela knows more about sexual attraction and orientations than anyone!

 

/sarcasm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richard_Oz

Come on folks...this has nothing to do with how "educated" or "well-informed" Pamela Anderson is or isn't.

 

There is clear malicious motive here. She's making these comments out of pure spite in order to ridicule, belittle, embarrass and shun the asexual community.

 

To someone as prominently of a sexual icon as Pamela Anderson, asexuals are vermin and scum of the earth that deserve to be outcasted for fear of infecting the rest of her community. 

  

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ceebs.

I can't stand Pamela Anderson and I do think she handled the question very poorly, but one thing that stands out to me is that the person asking for advice doesn't really seem to be talking about asexuality anyway. They're concerned about their partner's interest in sex, which from the sounds of it was normal before and now is not. Which is not an unreasonable thing to elicit concern; a shift like that usually indicates something is amiss. I think "asexual phase" was a bad choice of wording on their part. Regardless though, her response gets at a few possible truths but also sounds kind of trite and not very helpful. But then, this is Pamela Anderson we're talking about, so. I doubt she even understands what asexuality is as an orientation.

 

I remember years ago, 2004 I believe, she "wrote" a novel by the name of Star, and the inimitable Canadian journalist Rex Murphy penned a review for The Globe and Mail, and used the phrase "as still of mind as a tranquillised sheep". My 19-year-old brain adored that expression and I have never forgotten it. :D 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
StormySky
10 hours ago, Bronztrooper said:

That goes for literally anything, tbh.

 

Unless people get harmed in the process, at least

yeah. 

"I don't really like pizza all that much, it's okay tbh"

correct reaction: "Oh, more for me!"

reaction I got: "WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU, EITHER YOUR MIND IS BROKEN OR YOU'RE AN ALIEN"

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LadyOracle

 

29 minutes ago, StormySky said:

yeah. 

"I don't really like pizza all that much, it's okay tbh"

correct reaction: "Oh, more for me!"

reaction I got: "WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU, EITHER YOUR MIND IS BROKEN OR YOU'RE AN ALIEN"

To be honest, I feel the same about people who don't like pizza. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paperbackreader

To be honest, I will openly admit that I  can sometimes be broken and I'm definitely mostly a nerd and I'm probably mostly repulsed by sex, but so far as I can tell, these things are not always corellated nor have any direct causality pathways... And I know people who think they're broken, nerds or broken nerds that are still sexual, so... Pamela, I respect your right to have an opinion but I completely disagree with you. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ceebs.
15 minutes ago, paperbackreader said:

And I know people who think they're broken, nerds or broken nerds that are still sexual, so...

*waves*

 

Yes, we exist. :D 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tygersongbird
On 8/10/2018 at 6:14 PM, Nowhere Girl said:

I'm afraid of sex and there's nothing wrong with that.

You're not alone in that. So, yeah. I am afraid of sex too. It's not like it's something that comes naturally to me or something that I particularly know a lot about, to be honest. I've never interacted with that in any way, shape, or form, with another human being. So, yeah, I'm afraid too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
012
On 8/10/2018 at 6:14 PM, Nowhere Girl said:

I'm afraid of sex and there's nothing wrong with that.

I fear people in general, at least those that I don't know well.  Have social anxiety to thank for that.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tygersongbird
11 hours ago, LadyOracle said:

 

To be honest, I feel the same about people who don't like pizza. 

How can you not like pizza? To quote little Caesars: Pizza-Pizza.

 

Ok.

 

Honestly, I have to only like a certain style of pizza. Chicago Style, and there's a spot in my town that makes a wonderful brand of Chicago-style, and it is awesome. I won't eat any other pizza, even though it is expensive. I can eat off it for 3 days though. Chicago-style is so amazing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
012
8 minutes ago, tygersongbird said:

Honestly, I have to only like a certain style of pizza. Chicago Style, and there's a spot in my town that makes a wonderful brand of Chicago-style, and it is awesome. I won't eat any other pizza, even though it is expensive. I can eat off it for 3 days though. Chicago-style is so amazing.

There's a place around here that makes a great Chicago pizza but it's so filling that if I have even two pieces for lunch I won't (can't actually) eat dinner that night lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tygersongbird
3 minutes ago, 012 said:

There's a place around here that makes a great Chicago pizza but it's so filling that if I have even two pieces for lunch I won't (can't actually) eat dinner that night lol

Same way for me. I only eat 2 meals a day. I can't eat anywhere near 3 times a day. Some days I will only eat one depending on how busy I am. I am not a big eater, so those 2 pieces will fill me up all day. Thank you Chicago for good pizza.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
012
1 minute ago, tygersongbird said:

Same way for me. I only eat 2 meals a day. I can't eat anywhere near 3 times a day. Some days I will only eat one depending on how busy I am. I am not a big eater, so those 2 pieces will fill me up all day. Thank you Chicago for good pizza.

Similar here, I rarely eat breakfast and am not a big eater compared to most people.  My friend makes fun of me and says that if I didn't get hungry I'd never eat.  He's probably right.

 

Now that I think about it... it seems like the things in life that people physically enjoy just don't do it for me... food, sex, amusement park rides etc.  I don't really hate any of them but I don't enjoy them like most do, I just don't really get what people see in them.  I wonder if there's always been something wrong with my nervous system?  Like why don't I get enjoyment out of physical sensations at the level others do?

 

Interesting to ponder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tygersongbird
32 minutes ago, 012 said:

Similar here, I rarely eat breakfast and am not a big eater compared to most people.  My friend makes fun of me and says that if I didn't get hungry I'd never eat.  He's probably right.

 

Now that I think about it... it seems like the things in life that people physically enjoy just don't do it for me... food, sex, amusement park rides etc.  I don't really hate any of them but I don't enjoy them like most do, I just don't really get what people see in them.  I wonder if there's always been something wrong with my nervous system?  Like why don't I get enjoyment out of physical sensations at the level others do?

 

Interesting to ponder.

I am actually the opposite of you. I will eat breakfast at any time of the day. I will not do anything without having a good breakfast. I never really eat lunch to be honest with you. I personally don't enjoy lunch, and I am not a big dinner person, even though I may cook dinner since I live with my rents. However, breakfast, that is me. I need that. I love breakfast, and if I want to go out, I usually go out to a place that serves breakfast as well. Speaking of which, there is a great shop in town that serves a great belgian waffle breakfast with homemade grits. Yum.

 

Other than that, I am exactly like you are. I tend to not do those things that most other people are simply into. I don't smoke, drink, not into really amusement parks, and not too big into restaurants either. I save my money by being at home, and I tend to not be all extravagant. I don't think I've been clothes shopping in over 4 years, really. I still fit all the clothes, and I've actually lost inches so some clothes are looser now. Anyway, I don't really do any of those things that other people do. I don't think my nervous system is broken, though. Maybe it's just us. Maybe there's something to us.

 

Or maybe this is something that's unique to asexuals. Who knows? That could be up for study.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tygersongbird
22 hours ago, Madao said:

People should educate themselves before making comments on anything. It's better to give no advice rather than giving a wrong advice. I am not a gamer, and I am asexual. My sister is a gamer, and she's not asexual. I never watched Baywatch though. 

I've never watched Baywatch either. I mean, how can lifeguards save lives when they are walking as slow as turtles on the beach? Hello! I'm drowning over here, and you guys are walking as slow as molasses. Can you pick up the pace before I drown, please?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tygersongbird
On 8/10/2018 at 5:40 PM, TheAP said:

I'd like to add that there is also nothing wrong with not feeling romantic attraction, and that it doesn't mean you're just afraid of love.

Yes, for whatever reason, whenever people hear of someone saying you're asexual, the first thought that they seem to instantly go to is "So, do you want to die alone?"

 

I think for most people they don't seem to ever conceive of the thought that there are more ways to love than one. There can be more than 1 way to have a relationship with someone, and there is something special to every relationship and partnership, not just the ones deemed romantic. I think society needs a retraining on that one. I'm honestly getting sick of the whole "asexuals will be alone" thing. I can have friends and good compatriots as well. That's as special to me as anything.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LadyOracle
4 hours ago, 012 said:

Similar here, I rarely eat breakfast and am not a big eater compared to most people.  My friend makes fun of me and says that if I didn't get hungry I'd never eat.  He's probably right.

 

Now that I think about it... it seems like the things in life that people physically enjoy just don't do it for me... food, sex, amusement park rides etc.  I don't really hate any of them but I don't enjoy them like most do, I just don't really get what people see in them.  I wonder if there's always been something wrong with my nervous system?  Like why don't I get enjoyment out of physical sensations at the level others do?

 

Interesting to ponder.

But do you enjoy other things? 

 

As an HSP I react very strongly to everything, which isn't that great. Things can be really enjoyable, but also awfully overwhelming. I couldn't go on a rollercoaster, public transport is challenging enough. I read the opposite exists, too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Philip027

I don't like pizza.

 

Hurr durr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LadyOracle
7 minutes ago, Philip027 said:

I don't like pizza.

 

Hurr durr

WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU, EITHER YOUR MIND IS BROKEN OR YOU'RE AN ALIEN

 

(jk) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Someone Else

Oh aliens aren't odd enough to dislike pizza.  :)  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now