Tell me about your fav comics/webcomics and the ones you're reading atm

wayward_zombie

Webcomics: I'm currently reading "Acception" by Colourbee and "unOrdinary" by uru-chan over on Webtoons (among others but these are my favourites). 

Comic books: I've just started Marvel's Legion: Son of X. I really enjoyed Loki: Agent of Asgard and Young Avengers (and am still desperately looking for more comics with Loki as a leading role). It's hard to decide what my favourite comics are, because I've read so many... 

Manga: I've read and really enjoyed Assassination Classroom and am tying to keep up with Blue Exorcist. 

On 8/10/2018 at 7:03 PM, CallaWolf said:

Like the second volume of Ghost and (in my not so humble opinion) the  [boring as hell] series?

I loved the original manga and the three anime films though (that even includes the oddly titled anime "The New Movie").

Yeah, Man-Machine Interface was a bloody mess.  I can't say I could follow most of it.

I have all the Intron Depot art books and I'm really not keen on his digital style at all.

Yeah, I couldn't finish Man-Machine interface, myself. When I bought it, I had just finished reading the original for the second time, and was so excited to had finally getting it, I almost pulled over to go to a fast food place and not buy anything, just read it (but I didn't). I took it home, sat down, and spent the entire night trying to figure out what I was looking at. I couldn't find a semblance of a plot and couldn't even say I enjoyed it for that artwork because the art was awful (I don't care if CG was the hip new thing at the time, it looked like garbage in Man-Machine Interface. Mix that with the messy, garbled pages and you get a recipe for a bad book. Plus, was it just me or was there an excessive amount of fan service in it, as opposed to the original? Ok, I think I'm on a roll now about that book, I'll stop now, lol).

Kind of a shame, really, with how the original ended. I feel the second Ghost in the Shell film, 2: Innocence, did a better job at being a sequel (despite using a case from the original manga for Batou to work on and incorporating the ending of the previous film into it's story), which is kinda sad since Shirow Masamune is the original creator and wrote both volumes.

I am 100% in agreement with you on MMI.  Plus, those stupid little octopus things.  Were they programs?  Her Ghosts?  None of it was explained and it just looked ridiculous and cluttered.

The first few pages were her trying to make some sort of negotiation while the octopus whatsits were garbling garbage.  I got through it all, but it was hard going, and unsatisfying when I finished.  I don't really have much interest in going back to it.

The Standalone Complex books are far better.

I used to read a lot of webcomics. I still read a fair number, but I've had less time for it ever since I started my own comic two years ago... which I probably should've seen coming. (The link is in my signature if you want to find it.) So! Here are some of my favourites. Disclaimer: I am not great at describing things.

Still Running Webcomics

I, Mummy - it's a steampunk future comic with a mummy protagonist. What's not to like?

A Distant Soil - this is not actually a webcomic, it's a long-running space opera that's being put up on the web, but since you can currently read it online... here it is!

Widdershins - also a little steampunky, but mostly magical Victorian era adventure.

The Order of the Stick - D&D based adventure comic, started out with mostly jokes and is now mostly plot.

Manly Guys Doing Manly Things - I'm mostly in it for the computer game humour.

Scary Go Round - mystery, kind of urban fantasy.

Gunnerkrigg Court - high tech meets fantasy, long-running plot.

Hark! a vagrant - history jokes. Hasn't updated in a while.

xkcd - I read it for the computer and science jokes.

We Race - postapocolyptic future racing series, Ferrari's official comic. Interesting format, if always a bit hard for me to read (maybe works better on mobile devices?).

Q2Q Comics - theatre/general backstage humour.

Weregeek - gamer humour.

The Substitutes - different groups of heroes in different universes. I think I'm getting worse at writing these.

Xylobone Tomes - honestly not sure if it's still running as it's been two years since the last update, but it's about a lich.

Finished Webcomics

Sorcery101 - urban fantasy, centers around a mage and his friends. Also vampires and werewolves.

Chirault - fantasy, demons and magic.

The Adventures of Dr. McNinja - weird, funny, also lots of adventure stuff.

Mundane Nirvana - pretty much the only slice-of-life comic I've ever read, has a special place in my mind because it's the first place I saw an asexual character.

Nimona - I think only the first chapter is up online now, it's about a villain and his new sidekick.

Runners - sci-fi, aliens and spaceships, only the first two volumes can be read online.

To-read Webcomics

These are all bookmarked to be read. I may or may not remember why right now. I may or may not get around to doing so. But hey, clearly I thought they looked interesting, so maybe so do you!

Plume

Stand Still, Stay Silent

Check, Please!

Family Man

Not-web Comics

Anything Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The original black and white Eastman & Laird ones are the best, in my opinion, but most series/reboots have had their moments.

Calvin & Hobbes. No explanation needed, or I'm really running out of ones to give.

Sandman. Interesting story, great art, all that.

Watchmen, V for Vendetta, yeah, recommending them is pretty common... but they are good.

Valérien and Laureline. Space opera type sci-fi, in French (maybe translated somewhere?). 

The Adventures of Tintin. Adventure, most of the books I have are also in French but I know there are translations.

I'm probably leaving some stuff out. I'm sure there's more on my shelves than that, but eh, that'll do.

• 2 weeks later...

Saga is great.  It has a lovely art style and a plotline that combines space opera, soap opera, and relevant political commentary.  However, I should give anyone planning to read it a content warning for virtually everything possible.  It opens with a graphic childbirth scene, then only gets weirder from there.

• 2 weeks later...

This turned out longer than expected...I’m not very into online webcomics, but I loved Doctor Cat. He gets into a lot of shenanigans. 

I haven’t read much of ChaosLife, but it seems good. The creator is agender, so that caught my attention. I keep forgetting about it, though. It’s about their life. There’s a lot centered on their cats. 

StupidFox is another. I’ve been following the artist on deviantArt for a while. It’s hilarious, and an oftentimes, cute strip.

I’m definitely more into manga. Here are some of my faves:

-Kuroshitsuji: The manga is much better than the anime and it’s still on-going. The art is gorgeous, the creator is brilliant with the story and twists, it’s very dark, and more. 

-666 Satan (aka O-Parts Hunter): it’s been a while since I’ve read this one. It’s pretty long. Basically the main character has a demon inside him (which he struggles with at first), and he along with a girl go on an adventure to collect O-Part relics. It’s more complex than this, but it’s something to go off of.

-Afterschool Charisma: about clones of famous people (Mozart, Nightingale, Einstein, etc.) going to a special high school together. The main character is the only one who is assumed not to be a clone. This one’s tough to find. 

-Anagle Mole: basically about superhuman people who live deep underground. One of the ‘weakest’ ones makes it to the surface, and ends up trying to blend in with a family. 

-En Passant: It’s been a while since I read this one, too. The main character is a pessimist, seems to not care about life until he makes some friends, and didn’t have attachments to anything beforehand. He’s forced to fight for the most powerful position in the world. There are chess references throughout.  

-Pandora Hearts: better than the anime, and goes on for much longer. It’s very loosely based on Alice and Wonderland.

-Magico: A mage and a girl that has some sort of power in her, set off on a long magic ritual to get rid of it. Hard to explain, but it’s good. 

-Hitman Reborn: better than the anime, and goes on for longer.  

At the moment, I’m reading Kuroshitsuji (monthly), Ao no Exorcist (monthly), Helck, Alive, Hajimete no Aku, and Choujin Gakuen.

I think that Achewood (written by Chris Onstad 2001-2008 era) is still far and away the best webcomic, to the point where I can't really get into anything else. XKCD has some funny panels, but doesn't compare to Achewood's narrative story arcs, character development, and clever use of language.

• 4 weeks later...

Let's  see (hahaha):

Gunnerkrigg court

Blindsprings 

El Goonish shive

The glass scientists 

Rain

Aria Ravenclaw

I just finished Maison De Maid not to long ago. I loved the art, the ending was sweet :D Currently reading The Lady and Her Butler

If you’re into video games, Namco-Bandai produced some really entertaining comics based on Bravoman, Katamari, and Galaga.  I don’t know where to find them, since they pulled the plug on it.  I bet it’s all archived somewhere.

Ryan North, who used to write the Adventure Time comics, wrote the Galaga strip.  He has a really interesting dialogue style that I  can’t quite describe.  His characters kind of over-analyze words and situations for comic effect.

Bravoman is also on Youtube.   Rob Paulson, from Ninja Turtles and Animaniacs) voices the title character.

On 8/9/2018 at 8:28 PM, AcornCarvings said:

Saga is suuuuppper good. I really recommend reading it

I absolutely love Saga to bits! It's definitely one of my favorites. The most recent story arc tore my heart into a million pieces, yet I'm ready for more when it returns.

One of my old favorites is Fruits Basket. (I know, I'm showing my age.) It's a manga that's possibly best described as "supernatural romantic comedy/ extended-family drama". It ran for about fifty volumes, so I would recommend finding it at a library if you can. The story has some well-written representation of gender fluidity and mental illness, but mostly stays away from anything too dark or depressing.

In the spirit of spooktober, this short horror story actually caught me off guard and made me jump the first time a friend recommended it to me years back! Still the coolest one I've seen. 

Bongcheon-Dong Ghost

I haven't been in the comic scene in years (was I ever really in it? *existential crisis*) outside of manga, but last night I stayed up way too late reading Let's Play. The story is really engrossing. It's about a young woman named Sam who wants to become a game designer, but after a video by a game critic playing her game goes viral, fans of his videos flock her page, destroy her rating and essentially her future career. I like how it's expanding outside of the relationship between Sam and Marshall. It's not about a romance between them, which is what I thought it would be about. The rest of the cast is really interesting, and I like the idea of the "Emote-kuns," as dubbed by the creator. I think they foreshadow a lot about the character's personalities and future events.

Plus, the art style is crisp and pretty, it's hilarious, Bowser the dog is adorable, and they even mention asexuality. Sam hints that she might be demisexual! (Though not explicitly.)

The Incredible Hulk series recent ark remind me of the hulk that only changed at night from the original first series in1962 not as child like as the hulk from late 70s .marvel is dealing with his abuse by his father and how banner  dealt with  it and how it help to form the hulk or banner mental break (all in the way you read it) it a good read . its been mulled over so many times but the writers of the comic has me interested again.

I'm currently reading Inuyasha Omnibus 2, which contains volumes 4, 5, and 6. I had recently finished not only the entire series of Lone Wolf and Cub, but also the first volumes of Livingstone, Tokyo Ghoul, and Mega Man Megamix. I'm not interested in continuing Megamix (but that may be because that as soon as I finished Lone Wolf and Cub, I turned around and immediately started reading it and didn't give myself enough time to marinate on Lone Wolfs ending), but Living Stone and Tokyo Ghoul both were pretty awesome and I'd be willing to continue reading them after finishing Inuyasha Omnibus 3

And I'll admit, as much as I'm enjoying Inuyasha, due to the fact that it's primarily focused on it's episodic format and it's over-arching story is kind of in the background, I'm not sure if I wanna read all the way to the end. I'd probably be happier just reading the first number of omnibus releases and then just calling it done, especially since there are a few other series' that I want to re-read or continue that seem to have more of a tighter focus on a overarching story (think along the lines of Akira and or a little like Full Metal Alchemist). Like I said, I'm enjoying it enough to want to read more and more; but I just like having those intertwining story branches that all stem from a central conflict over the monster-of-the-week type scenario.

• 3 weeks later...
MargauxTheArtist5
On 10/4/2018 at 10:24 AM, ColeHW said:

Let's  see (hahaha):

Gunnerkrigg court

Blindsprings 

El Goonish shive

The glass scientists 

Rain

YES! Gunnerkrigg Court is AWESOME!! My dad and I love it! I knew I'd see something about it here!! :D 

3 minutes ago, MargauxTheArtist5 said:

YES! Gunnerkrigg Court is AWESOME!! My dad and I love it! I knew I'd see something about it here!! :D 

Gunnerkrigg is awesome!

Love the art style and references even I understand

I'm a huge fan of Stand Still Stay Silent.

It's a post-apocaliptic fantasy-ish comic in a Scandinavian setting. I can really recommend it! (Btw, if I'm right, the new adventure starts tomorrow!)

A lot of my favorites have already been mentioned here (Shimanami Tasogare, Always Human, Aerial Magic, The Gamercat), but here are some others I like:

Manga (all have anime adaptations as well): Poyopoyo, Chi's Sweet Home, Natsume's Book of Friends, Nodame Cantabile, Piano No Mori, Your Lie In April

Webtoons (LINE Webtoon): Cat Loaf Adventures, Waffles & Pancakes, Westwood Vibrato

Webtoons (Tapas): 4amShower, Les Normaux, Rock and Riot

1 hour ago, iam135 said:

A lot of my favorites have already been mentioned here (Shimanami Tasogare, Always Human, Aerial Magic, The Gamercat), but here are some others I like:

Manga (all have anime adaptations as well): Poyopoyo, Chi's Sweet Home, Natsume's Book of Friends, Nodame Cantabile, Piano No Mori, Your Lie In April

Webtoons (LINE Webtoon): Cat Loaf Adventures, Waffles & Pancakes, Westwood Vibrato

Webtoons (Tapas): 4amShower, Les Normaux, Rock and Riot

Chi's sweet home is adorable!

I would forewarn you from reading this if you have high anxiety or epilepsy (the creators use the camera function on your phone and flashing/disturbing video images to frighten the reader), but I read this creepy-ass Webtoon called Unknown Caller the other night. It's short and scary and perfect for Halloween. :)

• 4 months later...

*bumps from the pits of the Earth*

I've been getting more into Webtoons lately, and these are the ones that have caught my interest:

Let's Play by Mongie (which I've already mentioned, lol)

True Beauty by Yaongyi

Mage & Demon Queen by Color_LES

Cursed Princess Club by LambCat

SAVE ME by Big Hit Ent. / LICO

Celyn: The Lutening

Thanks for reminding me this thread existed, @Lee 🌸

Couple of pretty new ones I found and am liking - CoLouR and Utille

One comic book run I would absolutely recommend to everyone is the Fraction/Aja run of Hawkeye. The MCU Hawkeye is completely different from the comic book Hawkeye. He's a depressed mess that's barely functioning. He's not a wise father figure with a loving family. He's a circus kid with a wayward brother and is trying to cobble together a makeshift family. The main arch of the story is him defending his apartment building from the mob who is trying to buy out the building. And on top of the great art and writing there is a whole section devoted to Hawkeye dealing with deafness. He's canonically deaf and knows sign language. It was so well written in this run it was disappointing that the next creative team just slapped a magic SHIEL hearing aid on him to "fix" his disability. 

Look at this sassy boy. 

3e7c0cb17a4ebf1592650fb7ba0e8a70_zpstyysclint-600x287_zpsuzdj18rr.jpg

Another comic I would recommend is The Black Mirror from Detective comics. Scott Snyder was writer and Jock did majority of the artwork. The comic follows Dick Grayson as he fills in as Batman while Bruce is missing. That isn't the focus of the story though. Instead it focuses on Dick dealing with different horrors that deal directly with his emotional character. As oppose to just punching dudes in the face. It's an excellent read and iconic art like this came from that run. 

ABS_BM_BLACK_MIRROR_5b4e807fe07283.25270

Infinita_Nox

In no particular order, I am reading/have read/still need to read:

Physical comics:

Spoiler

Star Wars: (mostly in TPB formats)

Star Wars (ongoing series)

Darth Vader

Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith

Darth Maul

Kanan

Knights of the Old Republic

Obi-Wan and Anakin

Marvel:

Tony Stark Iron Man

The Amazing Spider-Man (2018)

Spider-verse

Spidergeddon

Venom: First Host

Edge of Venomverse

Venomverse

Venomized

Other:

The Witcher (these are 5-shot comic series, I'm on a third series currently)

Digital comics: (mostly via comixology)

Spoiler

Star Wars:

Omnibus: Emissaries and Assassins

Omnibus: Quinlan Vos Jedi in Darkness

Marvel:

Doctor Strange (2015-2018)

Invincible Iron-Man (2008-2012)

1602: Witch Hunter Angela

Mystic Arcana

Dungeons and Dragons:

Legends of Baldur's Gate