Tell me about your fav comics/webcomics and the ones you're reading atm

wayward_zombie

wayward_zombie

I just finished reading the latest killing stalking chapter so I was wondering what series do you follow?? Or what comics/mangas/manhuas do you like?? I could use some suggestions to check out!! I really love webcomics and graphic novels lately, what about you??

XKCD, "A Webcomic of Romance, Math, Sarcasm, and Language"

The Order of the Stick, a D&D 3.5 webcomic.

I have a couple of others, but they're honestly kinda meh. These are the good ones.

“El Goonish Shive”

It’s been running a long time.  It’s about a diverse bunch of kids with magic powers, aliens, etc.  Well drawn.

“PPL-Comics.com”

A well inspired mess.  No one knows what this guy is thinking. Ridiculous cartoons. Lots of subtle nineties references.  He used to do a lot of animations, but he’s focusing on a graphic novel at the moment.

“Loading Artist”

Newspaper style comic. Really funny.  A bit of dark humor.

“Fowl Language Comics”

It’s about a duck who has two kids that drive him crazy.

“The Gamercat”

Its about a little black cat that plays video games.

“Lackadaisy Cats”

I’m surprised I forgot this one. It’s about cats in the 1920’s trying to run a speakeasy.  It’s amazingly well drawn.

I'm not sure what your into but if you ever watched Danny phantom or ben 10  there a fan comic called five years later it well drawn and still being worked on but it where danny and ben work together

9 minutes ago, RoonalWaslib said:

“Lackadaisy Cats

I’m surprised I forgot this one. It’s about cats in the 1920’s trying to run a speakeasy.  It’s amazingly well drawn.

Gorgeous artwork!

I mostly read the daily comics (aka the funny papers - although I do it online these days). Some of my favorites are Breaking Cat News and Skin Horse, but I read many others. I really like the artwork in Wallace the Brave - the artist adds in fun little extra stuff (like bystander seagulls, curlicues in the clouds, various flowers and other plants, butterflies fluttering around, etc., things that often are simply decorative or add to the atmosphere/look).

akagami no shirayukihime is one manga I can't seem to get tired of! 

The Property of Hate is one of my favorites. :)

AcornCarvings

yessssssss I love this thread I love webcomics

These are just the ones I have on the top of my head now:

Stand Still Stay Silent is about a group of people exploring/looting many many years after a horrible plague wiped the planet leaving only some zones inhabitable and untouched by the strange monsters left in its wake. It's art is reeeaaalllly beautiful, and the characters are really interesting and fun. It updates pretty regularly, too.

rice boy + other stories are really odd fantasy comics. I really enjoyed reading them, and the art is in a really interesting style (it's evolved a lot throughout the years too)

On a Sunbeam is probably my favorite webcomic I've read. I finished it months ago but I keep the tab around just because I love it that much. It's this scifi/fantasy comic about a girl who joins a spaceship crew who go around restoring old crumbling buildings. IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL everything about is is gorgeous. + all of the characters are women or nonbinary and it has some nice lgbt representation. (also, it's completed, so don't worry about waiting through agonizing hiatuses) can you tell i love this comic yet? 💜♥️💚💙

Haxor is a cool scifi comic. idk how to really explain it. Corporate cyber entities, queer representation, heist-ey plotline. It's still ongoing and updates weekly i think. also the art is awesome.

rise from ashes is a pretty neat fantasy comic I found the other week. It's got some cool stuff going on when it comes to ghost/live people political relations. and some cute characters and a nice mix of scary stuff and cute stuff. It's still going, so we'll see how it goes.

Big Jo: I love me some body positivity and attention to fatphobia. I really like the main character, she is amazing and you end up really rooting for her. 

idk the name of this one...? What qq? has been doing an autobiographical thing. The author is this super cool genderqueer deaf person and I adore them.

Girls With Slingshots is a comedy drama whatever strip with a really good cast. It gets extra points for good ace and lgbt representation (well a few times it was hit or miss but the author was learning and when the author went back and gave commentary, there were apologies when she was being shitty) I really liked it, and it is one hell of an archive to binge, it was going on for a while. 

xkcd cuz who doesn't love xkcd

and I couldn't finish my list here without mentioning Rain 💜💙💚💛♥️ This is the comic that really introduced me to lgbt stuff and let me question my own gender and sexuality. It's about a trans girl dealing with life in a super catholic high school. I am so grateful for this comic, all its representation let me be myself more than I was ever able to before and made me feel so less alone and come out of my shell. tbh, I'm not completely wild about the art but I love this comic with all my heart.

There are others I am forgetting but those are the ones I could think of right now.

AcornCarvings

oh I forgot to even mention the non-webcomic comics. whoops :redface:

Sandman by Neil Gaiman is really cool. It's got really amazing art that changes depending on who was doing that particular story. The storyline is dark and compelling and I adore the characters.

Saga is suuuuppper good. I really recommend reading it

The manga of fullmetal alchemist is awesome. or you can watch the anime (Brotherhood not the earlier one imo)

Pokemon Diamond and Pearl Adventure! I really loved it when I was younger. I have no idea if it holds up tbh but I remember it being really good

The newer Ms. Marvel comics are really good.

Queer: A graphic history isn't fiction but it's a super good comic-book intro to queer theory that is easy to follow and actually easy to connect to real people's lives unlike most academic approaches to queer theory. I adore Meg-John Barker they are innnnccredible

whelp I know I'm forgetting ones but my memory has already been strained enough today so I'll end the list here^_^

I'm low-key still reading Cheese in the Trap (which is also a k-drama if you're interested), it's a romance but is kinda like a psychological thriller because the main protagonist's boyfriend is kinda crazy in a manipulative/psychological manner.

12 minutes ago, RoonalWaslib said:

Lackadaisycats:

1281532013.jpg

I’m not entirely sure she draws these and doesn’t make them by taking an old camera through some kind of inter dimensional portal to a world ruled by talking 1920’s cartoon cats.

As for webcomics, I particularly like Stand Still, Stay Silent, Daughter of the Lilies, and Kill Six Billion Demons.

My favorite in-print comics would have to be Persepolis and Monstress.

wayward_zombie

@AcornCarvings thanks for all the suggestions!! i know a lot of them already so Im sure I'll like the others too!

also thanks everyone for commenting! They all seem super cool I'll chek them out!!

@The Dryad oh is it?? that's great news actually cause ive always wanted to start reading it and watching the drama too but was never motivated enough, I'll definitely start it now tho!!

My main comic is the manga called Lone Wolf and Cub. It has amazing artwork (although a little "scratchy" if you will) and has a pretty dark atmosphere to it. I call it my main because not only is it long and I'm going to read it until the end, I've given every volume priority over every other comic I've been reading.

To give an example of the art:

lone-wolf-and-cub-1621840.jpg

Outside of lone wolf and cub, I tend to break up every volume to every other volume with a quick read comic here and there. Right now I am reading Ultimate Spider-man Volume 3, and as soon as I am done with this one, I'm going right back to Lone Wolf & Cub with Omnibus 7.

5 minutes ago, wayward_zombie said:

@AcornCarvings

@The Dryad oh is it?? that's great news actually cause ive always wanted to start reading it and watching the drama too but was never motivated enough, I'll definitely start it now tho!!

Honestly, it's very good, the comic is much better than the drama but I love Lee Sung Kyung so...

But yeah, the drama is also kinda controversial because it went in a different way than the author wanted it too, but I'm not caught up enough in reading to see if the author continued on with the dramas ending or not, but it's still very good.

AcornCarvings

a webcomic I forgot: Goodbye to Halos

It's this fantasy webcomic that is full of queer characters and adorable monster people. Not too much of it is out, and I'm excited to see where it goes. What is out is really interesting and compelling though. 

Celyn: The Lutening

@AcornCarvings a fellow SSSS and On A Sunbeam fan! 

Goth Western and Hotblood - both "weird west", both finished.

Always Human (finished, sci-fi), and the current one by the same author, Aerial Magic (steampunk fantasy).

CoLour (urban fantasy, not much to it yet)

No End (post-apocalyptic) is soooo good, still ongoing but there's a pretty big archive too.

3 hours ago, The Dryad said:

I'm low-key still reading Cheese in the Trap (which is also a k-drama if you're interested), it's a romance but is kinda like a psychological thriller because the main protagonist's boyfriend is kinda crazy in a manipulative/psychological manner.

I'm so glad you still see it that way, I thought I was the one who's crazy for thinking that.

I read a lot of webtoons but I highly recommend:

The Devil is a Handsome man - on Line Webtoons, excellently drawn romance with a great story and great lore/world building

Elf and Warrior - hilarious and charming fantasy adventure comic

Tamen De Gushi/19 Days - I group these two together because I find them really similar in style. They're both Chinese Manhua, GL and BL respectively that I find hilarious

Live Forever - also on Line Webtoons. Amazingly drawn story about a girl who aims for immortality

My favourites of all time are western, John Constantine: Hellblazer and The Sandman (And their many spinoffs).

But I do love manga too, including Universal Century Gundam series.  If it ain't UC it isn't Gundam.

My favourite manga though are basically most things by Kenichi Sonoda.   I love Shirows works and his universes but there have been some real duds in Ghost In The Shell and Appleseed over the years.  Oh and Blade Of The Immortal is a masterpiece.

Shimanami Tasogare - This is probably first manga where one of the characters is openly asexual! Also, lot of identities from LGBTQ community were represented here, I simply loved it. 

19 days- I love this. That's all, no clarification. 

Space Boy- This webtoon is from Line. Amazing romance, amazing plot, amazing characters. I liked this as a sci-fi a lot. 

EggplantWitch

You've not specified what genres you're into but here's my top three webcomic recs:

1. Skin Deep. I've been reading this for about... 8 years? It's about secret societies of shapeshifting monsters hiding from humans. One of the main storylines concerns the appearance of a sphinx, thought to be extinct, and the other concerns a seemingly human teenager who suddenly turns into a monster. There are some adorable one shots too. Kory Bing, the artist, is wonderful at writing different personalities and bouncing them off of each other.

2. Wilde Life. A dude moves into a backwater town and gets entangled in the secret supernatural culture hidden there. It features an adorable mathematician ghost, and a kid called Clifford who can turn into a big red dog wolf. It updates three times a week, which is amazing considering the artistic quality, and the author is good at walking the line between goofy and serious.

3. Scandinavia and the World. It features humanisations of various nations used to explain historical events, current trends, or to poke fun at stereotypes. The earlier stuff treats the characters as, well, characters rather than countries which I'm not a fan of, but the stuff from the past two or three years has been great.

15 hours ago, GuzziHero said:

I love Shirows works and his universes but there have been some real duds in Ghost In The Shell and Appleseed over the years. 

Like the second volume of Ghost and (in my not so humble opinion) the  [boring as hell] series?

I loved the original manga and the three anime films though (that even includes the oddly titled anime "The New Movie").

There was a really funny “Bravoman” comic several years ago, but I don’t know where to find it anymore. The cartoon is still on YouTube, I think.

Archived