US Senate Bill - Sexual Orientation on 2030 Census

LaocoonCry

Last week, two US senators (Kamala Harris, D-CA, and Tom Carper, D-DE) proposed a bill that would add a question about sexual orientation to the 2030 census. 

Putting privacy issues aside for a second, I'm disappointed that the senators do not recognize asexuality in the bill. The proposed bill states: "The term 'sexual orientation' means homosexuality, heterosexuality, or bisexuality." If the bill is enacted, the Census Bureau is not necessarily limited to these three responses. NPR notes that the Census Bureau "would be asked to conduct research to come up with a plan to develop the new question."

The bill is sponsored by Senators Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY), Bob Menendez (D-NJ), Dick Durbin (D-IL), Patty Murray (D-WA), Amy Klobuchar (D-MN), Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH), Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), Jeff Merkley (D-OR), Ron Wyden (D-OR), Gary Peters (D-MI), Tim Kaine (D-VA), Cory Booker (D-NJ), Tina Smith (D-MN), Michael Bennet (D-CO), and Mazie Hirono (D-HI).

As a Californian, I'm disappointed that my senator is not acknowledging asexual people. I'm considering writing a letter to Harris to encourage her to remember asexual people in her policy making.

What do other folks think about this bill? 

Sources:

* Wang, Hansi Lo. “Senate Bill To Require Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity Data By 2030 Census.” NPR, NPR, 31 July 2018, www.npr.org/2018/07/31/634243854/senate-bill-to-require-sexual-orientation-gender-identity-data-by-2030-census.

* Bill text: https://www.harris.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/Census%20Equality%20Act.pdf
* Bill press release: https://www.harris.senate.gov/news/press-releases/harris-carper-introduce-legislation-to-ensure-lgbtq-community-represented-in-census-and-acs

Harris is one of my senators, too. I will be writing her.

Wow; that's disappointing. And pansexuality isn't included, either. 

I wonder if a letter from educators and researchers--like the one made for U.K.'s 2021 Census--to include asexuality might help.

Patty Murray's one of my senators; I'll write her also.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, it is interesting. But it won't really be as accurate since there are those living in homophobic households that wouldn't dare put their sexuality on there to avoid the risk of outing themselves. At least I wouldn't but I probably wouldn't be living with my folks by that time if it does actually gets passed so who knows. It is nice that they're considering this for LGBT folks, but they should include the other common identities on there 

• 2 weeks later...
Asterion Orestes

In a word: Unacceptable--not primarily because the options are too limited, but for the simple reason that an individual's sexuality is none of Big Government (D)'s business.

I would not comply.

Before this kind of question can be added to a census you need to make sure everyone knows and understands what every mentioned sexual orientation stands for.

Good luck with that.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't like the idea of telling the government about my sexual orientation.  It seems like the kind of information an authoritarian regime would love to misuse.

Fluffy Femme Guy

It's an interesting idea to include it (even if they did screw it up a bit), but I don't think it should be mandatory information.

On 8/20/2018 at 6:36 AM, Karoushi said:

Hmm, it is interesting. But it won't really be as accurate since there are those living in homophobic households that wouldn't dare put their sexuality on there to avoid the risk of outing themselves. 

My household was one of those randomly chosen for  a big Office of National Statistics survey (UK) last year. (Michael's post above) A researcher came to the house. The way the orientation question was asked  made the answer private. There was a written list to choose from, and a code. When the question was asked to my husband, there was a different set of codes. So I didn't actually know what he answered and he didn't know what I answered.

I feel really conflicted. For one, asexuality isn't mentioned, pretty much the whole QUILTBAG is Mia except for the "popular kids" so to say. I feel like this part of the census is similar to the part where they ask you your race, and you have the default to a box, because your box is all the boxes, or none of the boxes. 

Seriously though.....would there at least be a "none of the above" box?

I'm gonna be in my thirties when this comes out anyways, but I can still worry about it right?

• 2 weeks later...

Will there be a NONE option?  Also, what is the purpose of collecting this kind of information?  The 2020 census is asking if you are legal or not?  Again, what are they after with these kinds of questions?

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

We have the same thing here in the UK with our census - we're rendered invisible due to our lack of orientation. 

I wonder why they don't just leave a blank space for everyone to state their own orientation? It would likely save on space in an otherwise large form but mess up any computer counts they might use.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived