Questioning polyromantic

Bro.oklyn

I don’t really know how to start this. I’m asexual and I’ve been in romantic relationships before, and I’m in one right now, but I find myself developing crushes on other people while still feeling faithful to my boyfriend. I don’t know if I’m polyromantic or if I’m just bad at relationships. I don’t know if I’m posting this in the right fourum, forgive me if I’m not, but all the resources I’ve found on being poly have been polysexual, and I’m really confused. 

ôÿē èîęēú ïė ēôēįîûôø

@Bro.oklyn Firstly, welcome to heAVEN! Have some 🍰!

Secondly, have you ever heard of the term 'polyamorous'?

Moved from Questions about Asexuality to Romantic and Aromantic Orientations.

TheAP

Questions about Asexuality mod

And yeah, if you mean wanting a romantic relationship with more than one person at a time, the term would be polyamorous. Polyromantic would mean you're romantically attracted to multiple genders but not all, at the same time or not.

AcornCarvings

I think that lots of people develop feelings or crushes for other people even when they are in committed relationships. One thing that you could look into is how you would feel about actually acting on those feelings, and if you think you'd like to have romantic relationships with more than one person.

I am polyamorous (of some variety i guess) and for me, that means I find it fulfilling to be able to pursue the relationships in my life independent of each other. I find traditional committed monogamous relationships really stifling and stressful, I constantly worry about not fulfilling that person's needs, or worry about feelings I have for other people. Having nonmonogamous relationships is very freeing for me. Getting away from that exclusivity lets me tune in to what I love about the people I spend time with and how I want our relationships to be. It also takes some of the pressure off to fulfill all the needs of whoever I'm romantic with, this way we can communicate and find where the things we want out of our relationship overlaps (think of a venn diagram) and focus on just that.

There is a whole lot of diversity in the polyamourous and nonmonogamous crowd, so if someone's specific definintion doesn't seem to fit you, that's cool too. polyamory means different things to different people.

btw, welcome to the forum! :cake:

Archived