Finally Understand Myself

QueenBeech

Hi there. Nice to meet meet you all.

To be honest, I’m brand new to the whole idea of asexuality. For the longest time, I thought I was just weird. Like it was my fault that I just never really enjoyed sexual relationships I was in. I wanted to be able to enjoy sex with others, especially with how many expectations were built up for me over the years of hearing others talk about sexual encounters. However, when I lost my virginity at about sixteen, it was possibly the most disappointing experience of my life. I remember laying there in bed after my partner at that time had fallen asleep, staring up at the ceiling and thinking “Really? That was it?”. For years, as I said, I thought there was something wrong with me. Thankfully, I met someone in my life who introduced me to the concept of asexuality and even found it somewhat haunting by how well I was able to connect with an idea I’d never even heard about.

After doing my research and deciding I’m officially asexual, I came out publically roughly a week ago to friends and family and have thankfully been met with nothing but people who are genuinely attempting to understand me, rather than brushing me off as confused or in denial.

All in all, I’m glad to be here and can’t wait to talk to more people of my orientation.

Welcome!

Wow, you're already out and everything well? Well, if you already got so far, there is only one thing I can tell you to do: enjoy this 🍰🥧🎂

Oh, and of course don't forget to have fun with all the other AVENites. They're great people 😁

shoshi coast

Welcome! 🍰🎂❤️

Congratulations on coming out to the people in your life, sounds like you had a really positive experience!

Welcome! I’m glad to hear that everyone was so kind and accepting :) 

rainbow+wedding+cake+7.jpg

NickyTannock

@QueenBeech Welcome to AVEN!

I'm glad your coming out went smoothly.

10.jpg

Anthracite_Impreza

Welcome to AVEN :)

Hello, Yes I am also new and only discovered AVEN last year. At 80 years I am delighted that at last there is a name for my orientation and a community that is also like-minded. I have spent many years in the search for self-understanding and that inner acceptance of feeling at peace about my own sexuality.

At times I tried desperately to 'fit in' with social expectations and at the same time academically explored many topics relating to human relationships and sexuality. (Without ever really finding an answer that fitted my inner core self.)

The journey (boring word) has been interesting and although at times very difficult - it has been worthwhile to reach this stage of my life and feel good about who I am. Plus, forgive myself for wasted efforts in trying to be like other people. In fact I am seriously thinking about writing a book about it. :unsure:??

Archived