Aces IRL and Ace rings

E Wildflower

Aces IRL and Ace Rings  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Have you met anyone IRL who is open about being asexual or on the ace spectrum? If so, how many?

• No, none.
    • Yes, I've met one or two.
    • Yes, I've met a few more than one or two.
    • Yes, I know many.
  2. 2. Do you wear an ace ring? Have you ever been identified by it?

• I wear an ace ring occasionally, but have never been identified by it.
    • I wear an ace ring occasionally, and was identified by it once.
    • I wear an ace ring occasionally, and I have been identified by it more than once.
    • I wear an ace ring regularly, but have never been identified by it.
    • I wear an ace ring regularly, and was identified by it once.
    • I wear an ace ring regularly, and I have been identified by it more than once.
    • n/a - I'm not on the asexual spectrum.
    • n/a -I'm on the asexual spectrum, but don't wear a ring.
  3. 3. If you know any members of the ace community IRL, do they wear an ace ring? Did you identify them that way?

• I don't know anyone IRL who wears an ace ring.
    • I know at least one person who wears an ace ring, but I never noticed it until after finding out they were ace.
    • I know at least one person who wears an ace ring and I noticed, but I didn't ask them about it.
    • I know at least one person who wears an ace ring and I did ask them about it.

This poll is closed to new votes

E Wildflower

I have multiple ace friends who wear rings, including one who immediately noticed when I got mine, but I've also encountered some folks on this site who say they've never met an asexual person IRL and/or that they've worn an ace ring for years but have never been identified by it. What's your experience?

I'd love to see your answers regardless of how you identify.

I apologize any of the questions are confusing. I'm open to suggestions about how to word them better.

Member131995

Interestingly, I've only just discovered about ace rings. However, the funny part is that I have worn a black ring for years (have also been ace all my life) but no one has ever asked me about it. I wore it long before I knew to call myself ace. I guess I always knew subconsciously.

Grumpy Alien

Not sure how to answer the last one.

1. I have a handful of ace friends IRL.

2. I'm not asexual so don't wear the ring.

3. I only know one asexual person personally who wears any kind of ace ring and it's really just a black wedding ring. I think he might've worn one before, I can't remember. But I knew of his orientation and the symbolism of the ring already so there was never any need to ask.

Fantastic Name

1. Nope. I wish I did.

2. Wear it regularly, but have never been identified by it.

3. Nope.

Despite all that, the ring has been a really useful tool for me to come out to people. A people tend to ask me why I wear the ring (because tomboyish me seems like the least likely person to ever buy jewelry), and I'll just use that opportunity to tell them. No one's ever responded negatively to it, and many of them already know what asexuality is, so it's really working out for me.

1. I met someone who talked about "maybe being asexual" with someone else, and I only found out because that person told me after I'd come out to them
2. I don't have a ring, but I'm interested in getting one. I've only come out recently, and it's something that I haven't invested in yet.
3. Only people I've seen with ace rings have been on the internet.

When I was identifying as ace I was too scared to wear a black ring in case people mistook me for a swinger (the opposite of an ace, haha!). I know they're meant to wear their rings on a different hand but I was sure they'd just think I was confused about which hand my ring was meant to be on and invite me to have sex with them - nuuuuuu!!! Haha

Alejandrogynous

1. I've met a few in passing.

2. I wear a black ring sometimes, though it feels a little weird to call it an 'ace' ring since I've been wearing black jewelry for most of my life anyway. It was just a coincidence that it turned out to be an asexual identifier. Regardless, I've never been IDed as ace (or a swinger) for it, either before I knew about the connotations or after.

3. None that I recall who wear it for that purpose.

Recognising someone else's ace ring was how I met the first person I ever dated.  They bought me my first ace ring, which I no longer wear because it no longer fits.  I keep it in my jewelry box.

I used to go to a Meetup group so I've met several people who wear ace rings. I used to wear one and was never mis-identified as a swinger during all my years in the kink community. 

I should probably give mine away to someone else with skinny fingers.

I just ordered my ring online, I'm waiting for it, haven't begun wearing it yet. 

I can't answer the second question. I'm ace but never wear a ring. Is there a reason this option is not included? I know for certain that I'm not the only one.

2 hours ago, timewarp said:

I can't answer the second question. I'm ace but never wear a ring. Is there a reason this option is not included? I know for certain that I'm not the only one.

Neither could I answer it.

1) I met others at ace meets but that would be expected. Outside of meets, I haven't

3) I don't know any others in real life.

To Each Their Own

Sadly, the only other asexual person I’ve ever met IRL was at transPRIDE. But, happily, they did recognise me because of my ring!

Perfectly Pointless

I (sadly) don't know any asexuals irl, and pretty much always wear an ace ring and have never been identified as ace. (no one's asked about it full stop, which is probably a good thing, seeing as it wouldn't really be appropriate to start talking about my sexuality with a customer at work!) I think my friend might have asked about it once since I used to wear it against my school's no-jewellery rule and she wanted to know what was so important about it that I wore it even though I knew I'd just get told to take it off! 😂😂But she already knew about my asexuality so it was kind of just "hey whats that ring" "oh its an ace thing"

I wear a lot of very ornate (and black) jewellery as part of most of my everyday outfits so I think most people assume I just like it because I'm goth :D

Also, where I live, commenting on other people's appearance asides from "i like your nails/necklace/ring/whatever" and asking where they got something is pretty impolite and weird. Asking someone why they are wearing something is an absolute no-go, so that could why I haven't had anyone say anything about it 😂

E Wildflower
On 8/5/2018 at 4:45 AM, timewarp said:

I thought I put an option that says "I'm ace but don't wear a ring", but I guess I deleted it accidentally. Sorry about that. I shall add it.

• 3 weeks later...

I can see wearing an ace ring in situations where doing so would be useful to communicate your orientation to interested parties, like at an asexuality meet-up or perhaps at an asexuality bar if such an establishment ever comes into being. Outside of those contexts, most people won't know about the the black ring/asexuality connection and there are plenty of other people who are just wearing black rings for fun.

SpookyNameHere

I know one other ace person in real life and he had no idea the ace ring was even a thing until I found out and told him. I'm thinking about starting to wear one just because I like the idea. I don't actually expect anyone to recognize what it means, but it would be pretty cool if they did. 

1. I got to meet aces irl from meets.

2. I wear my rinf regulary now but the only people who've noticed it already knew I am ace, nobody ever ifentified me as ace by it alone.

3. Yep been lucky to meet plenty of aces, some of whom have a ring, but I'll only notice this after meeting them.

On a note for 3, I remsber my 1st ace meet, I was looking for people with rings so I knew who to go up to. Turned out none of us wore any ace rings at the time :lol:

everywhere and nowhere

I would like to wear an ace ring, but I just can't! Due to my allergy I cover my hands with cotton gloves, I'm so used to it now that I feel uncomfortable going outside without gloves. Any ring on a glove is uncomfortable and a black ring on a black glove is simply invisible... :(

I got ID as ace, not by a ring but by a bracelet I had been wearing at the time. (It has since broken and I never made a new one (I don’t have gray thread)).

Guest Deus Ex Infinity

1. Yes, I've met one or two.

2. I wear an ace ring regularly, but have never been identified by it.

3. I know at least one person who wears an ace ring and I did ask them about it.

Unfortunately don't know any aces irl :lol: and no ace ring. 

I feel like there's hardly any point of wearing an ace ring, let me explain, before you come after me with pitchforks; since we're such a small population, no one knows anything about asexuality, so if you're wearing it not be be hit on, or to be recognized, the goal won't be met, unless you're at an ace event... Or for self-validation. But even though married people who wear rings still get hit on, at least people know what the ring means....even if you had ace written on the ring, or had a spade or any other suit on there, people would most likely think you were into gambling rather than be ace... I've heard black rings could also be identified by the swinger community, which is also something I really don't want, so yeah...I'll just wear a punny ace shirt or something.

• 1 month later...

I feel like I'm alone in the world cause I don't know anybody else who's ace/aro Irl

I've had a couple friends who where ace although I found out long before I ever identified myself, as far as I'm aware neither of them wore rings but I could be wrong

I'm not one to show off Ace pride but if it might help me meet other Aces in real life I'm thinking of getting a ring.

I had a classmate who was asexual, though I only found out secondhand by listening to her friends talk about it. There was another person at my school who made a Facebook post about being asexual, but I didn't know them personally. I don't have an ace ring and have never noticed anyone else wearing one.

• 10 months later...

@E Wildflower

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived