SkyWorld

Do you believe in the Zodiacs?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in the Zodiacs?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

This poll is closed to new votes

I personally don't believe in the zodiac, it's pseudoscience. My sign is Aries and the only trait I can relate to is impatient. 

ArchangelAlbatross

I never did.  But I discovered some years ago that the deepest relationships - in fact only close relationships - I'd ever had were with cancers.  So I found that unusual. 

Oh yo I'm a Scorpio too!  I agree theres obviously some parts that couldn't be further from the truth. But for the rest of it it's basically describing me. Its weird how accurate my zodiac sign can be, but usually only the general descriptions. I identify a lot with my sign for that reason. 

As for the other part of the zodiac, like the daily horoscope, I don't believe in them regardless, i just find it fun to compare people i know and their personalities to the descriptions of their zodiac signs. And sometimes do those dumb compatibility things lol. 

~Cheetah

• 2 weeks later...

Well as an Aquarius my zodiac matches who I am. Lol very unemotional, logical thinking, asshole, cold hearted lol yes

• 3 weeks later...
i3utterflyeffect

I think it's a cool thing to research, but I don't necessarily believe-believe it. I enjoy looking at how people describe the signs, mostly.

I think that astrology can provide a way to handle the people that you're stuck with in life. Say a relative has an irascible personality, blame it on their zodiac.

Yeah, actually, I find that astrology done right tends to be super accurate, my natal chart basically told the story of who I am in the positioning of stars and other celestial bodies. If we're made of stardust then why can't we be influenced by the stars we're born under? I'm a Virgo Rising, Pisces Moon, Sagittarius Sun, the big three is pretty much all you really need to know.

• 1 month later...

Not at all. I think it can be fun for some people, which is fine, but I don't like that people believe its factual, and I think playing along can further spread the actual belief. I especially don't like when people ask my sign and then make assumptions about my personality/temperament. I stopped telling people my birthday if I know they're trying to figure out my sign and I refuse to give clues. 

I don't but if someone isn't presenting them as hard fact I think they're fun! I kind of wish they were factual because that'd be kind of hilarious.

Nope, I don't believe in such things in the slightest.

I hate astrology. My sign is Leo, which is supposed to be extremely extroverted and very social. Hell no.

My social skills are literally the worst, my MBTI is INTP and I hate being the centre of attention. I do NOT fit my sign at all, except for the "hot-headed" part.

I read my horoscopes in the doctor's waiting room, etc though. One time I read a horoscope that said my day would be full of "love and sex" of course I cringed hard at that for obvious reasons. Why couldn't it have been my day would be full of "cake and food" instead... But on the other hand, I was reading my horoscope while waiting for the doctor and it said "today is a great day to see the doctor." Probably a coincidence but still funny.

I hate astrology.

• 2 months later...

Astrology is just a bunch of nonsense and it's always or most of the time inaccurate. There is a side that is more accurate and where it is more of a science. 

I very much agree with my zodiac personality (Virgo). In addition, I read horoscopes sometimes and more often than not they are accurate. Most recently, I remember a horoscope saying one day that it was a good day for writing. That was the day I got my first story commission.

At a Lunar New Year celebration I went to last week, they had a one of those Chinese Zodiac papers at each seat. It said that my sign (Ox) tend tend to be good parents. However, I'm not really a fan of babies and little kids. Other than that, I identify a good bit with the ox personality. However, because of that paper, I am a bit more skeptical of Chinese Zodiac.

No, but I think they're funny/interesting to read. My Zodiac is really wrong about me... so I just find it super amusing 😅

There was a recent (season 2) episode of the sci-fi tv show, The Orville, where they found a society who took their version of astrology very seriously. Spoiler in case people haven't see the episode.

Spoiler

They considered people born under a certain sign to be dangerous and damaged so they put anyone who was born under that sign in prison camps and tried to prevent babies from being born under that sign (by "birthing" them prematurely by C-section in some cases).

• 1 month later...

I mostly believe them, since I’m a Pisces and those are usually depicted as very emotional, I think it’s fairly accurate. Although I’m mellowed our now, I was a very emotional and sensitive kid(which is embarrassing sometimes ).

nineGardens

I mean, technically, I believe that the collections of stars refered to as "Zodiacs" exist.

... I just believe they DO anything down here.

That said, people born in difference seasons WILL be different ages upon hitting school, and this can effect personality, etc (apparently sports stars have birthdays clustered in certain months, for example).

I find the description of typical personality traits for my zodiac sign extremely accurate.

• 2 weeks later...

According to the traits of cancer, I am sensitive and domesticated, family centered. Sensitive? Yes, but I am not at all domesticated, I value intellectual freedom and spiritual detachment.

• 2 weeks later...
AceyMacey

First of all, if you believe in the zodiac or horoscopes or whatever, good for you, I just dont. I look at my horoscope the way I take Buzzfeed quizzes: I just want to see what they will say (it's not like I believe that the true onion I am is a green onion). However, I really don't think that the star that you were born under has any influence on personality. That would basically mean that everyone born in a certain month is very similar in a specific respect which just isn't true. Also, the way horoscopes are written, you could cover up the sign that each description refers to, and I would guess that at least five or six of them would apply to you. They're written to be widely applicable in order to make them seem more accurate. 

a_subtle_reality

Nah, I'm a Sagittarius, we don't believe that sort of nonsense.

More seriously though, horoscopes tend to be worded very generally - they're specifically designed to elicit the "it me!" response from as many people as possible (see the "Barnum effect"), add to that cherry picking (many different astrologers write 'personality descriptions' and horoscopes, so you can probably find one that fits you / the week you're having) and confirmation bias (one spookily 'correct' prediction will seem more significant than a thousand which ranged from complete misses through only vaguely correct, even though that's what you'd expect from chance), and it's easy to see why many people believe in it..

Alawyn-Aebt

No

I trust personality tests more than astrology and I put the bare minimum of trust in personality tests (MBTI/Enneagram/etc.) in light of lack of solid scientific evidence.

As already mentioned the Barnum Effect and other points all work to disprove the accuracy of astrology.

Even without considering those psychological effects that work to trick you into thinking it matches you, my zodiac sign (I looked it up just for to see) is quite far off from me, even though it is written so broadly.

• 3 months later...

@SkyWorld

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived