Can I be Recipromantic and Lithromantic without actually having a relationship before?

TheConfusedAce

TheConfusedAce

I never had anyone confess their 'love' for me before or actually dated.

I don't really like or understand the idea of dating (more of the 'how does this work' part) since of my anxiety and trust issues it doesn't seem like an option I would be able to do.

Can I still be Lithro and/or Recipro??

I relate to this so much. I find myself thinking about the idea of a relationship but I don't think I would actually enjoy one. I haven't had a good reaction to someone saying they like me, mostly because I had no idea what they meant (were they attracted to me, did they like my personality?).                                                                                                                          To answer your question I think you can still be one of those labels without experience. I would just go with what makes you feel comfortable. If you're still figuring it out that's okay. Lately, I've been questioning but for a while, I considered myself aromantic without actually having been in a relationship. 

Hey TheConfusedAce

That's a really interesting q... I wonder if you can be both at the same time? Because they sort of contradict each other? Hmm... I guess it depends on the significant other, but I'm it's possible.

Anyway, you can definitely be lith without being in a relationship (present or past). I'm still sitting on that wobbly fence myself. Lith is when you like the idea of romance etc. in theory but not so much in practice. We're all capable of creating fantasies in our heads but once encountered in reality it can be totally different. I agree with CMR, take a label that you are comfortable with - even if it's just as ambiguous as "queer" or "questioning." You'll come across a lot more info as time goes on so no need to rush yourself 🙂

• 3 weeks later...
WoodwindWhistler
On 7/31/2018 at 4:56 AM, TheConfusedAce said:

I never had anyone confess their 'love' for me before or actually dated.

I don't really like or understand the idea of dating (more of the 'how does this work' part) since of my anxiety and trust issues it doesn't seem like an option I would be able to do.

Can I still be Lithro and/or Recipro??

If allosexuals/romantics can know they want sex/dating before the first time they've had it, then of course you can know you're iffy on relationships before you have them. 

Archived