Least Respectable Animals

divided_sky

The vast majority of wasps I've encountered, and that is a considerable number given the amount of time I spend observing them, are really unobtrusive creatures that have no interest in causing distress to human beings. Sometimes I practically stick my head in a bush or a tree with dozens of paper wasps, mason wasps, thread-waisted wasps, all kinds of wasps buzzing all around and inside of it, and they don't seem to care whatsoever. Many of them are also important pollinators, just as bees are. 

But then yellowjackets and a few other, more aggressive species give wasps everywhere a bad reputation. Yellowjackets in particular went after my mother in a swarm once when she disturbed their nest in the ground by accident, and a queen stung my brother when she happened to crawl inside of his shirt for whatever strange reason. So I certainly understand why people are less than thrilled about wasps generally. I just would like to say that they are not all vicious, marauding enemies of humankind.

Grumpy Alien
3 minutes ago, Blomdor said:

The vast majority of wasps I've encountered, and that is a considerable number given the amount of time I spend observing them, are really unobtrusive creatures that have no interest in causing distress to human beings. Sometimes I practically stick my head in a bush or a tree with dozens of paper wasps, mason wasps, thread-waisted wasps, all kinds of wasps buzzing all around and inside of it, and they don't seem to care whatsoever. Many of them are also important pollinators, just as bees are. 

But then yellowjackets and a few other, more aggressive species give wasps everywhere a bad reputation. Yellowjackets in particular went after my mother in a swarm once when she disturbed their nest in the ground by accident, and a queen stung my brother when she happened to crawl inside of his shirt for whatever strange reason. So I certainly understand why people are less than thrilled about wasps generally. I just would like to say that they are not all vicious, marauding enemies of humankind.

Ah, okay. The kind in my area are yellowjackets. They are awful.

divided_sky

@Blomdor Why are you sticking your head into bushes full of wasps? 😛

Because it's fun. Really!

I know a lot of people who hate vultures, but they're actually really important. They eat dead stuff that's full of disease and keep plagues from spreading. They have stomach acid that's so powerful that they are able to digest anthrax without dying! That's badass. Also, all the ones I've worked with are so sweet. We have Isabel, a condor at the zoo I work at. She was partially hand raised so she likes people. There's a janitor she really likes. she comes right up to meet him when he comes by. She also has a stick she likes playing with and has gotten a box stuck on her head multiple times. I love her.

That being said, while I have respect for pretty much all animals, some can bugger off and die. Like wasps, hornets (especially the huge ones from the depths of nightmares), any type of parasite, and zebra mussels. Also cheat grass. It gets everywhere, it destroys the ecosystem I live in, the deer can't eat it, and it's a big reason why the state I live in is constantly on fire.

Grumpy Alien
1 hour ago, Dr. Beat said:

We have Isabel, a condor at the zoo I work at. She was partially hand raised so she likes people. There's a janitor she really likes. she comes right up to meet him when he comes by. She also has a stick she likes playing with and has gotten a box stuck on her head multiple times. I love her.

I don’t normally like birds but Isabel sounds amazing 😂😂😂

Anthracite_Impreza
8 hours ago, Duke Memphis said:

Chiggers live in the grass. The burrow into your skin and feed on you. They cause small, incredibly itchy bumps, and they're hard to wash out of your skin due to the depth they reach when they bite.

Remind me never to leave the UK.

Member131995

Definitely mosquitos. I flipping hate those things. I hate getting bit by them and I hate when they orbit around my face because it's the only skin exposed (when I know I'm in mosquito infested territory I leave nothing uncovered save my face so I can see and breath, duh) and I have to hear their annoying, stupid whine-buzz. Like why do they have to exist??

Any type of parasite. They're horrifying.

I also dislike sloths. They have algae that grows in their fur due to their sheer failure to move, which is disgusting.

Ticks for sure. I hate those little murder machines, I never want to see any of them touching me in the slightest. I don't want your Lyme disease or encephalitis, tick.

@Lemonsky, second that

Also slugs, which seem to only exist in gardens, only eat food plants and never weeds, and commit suicide by randomly jumping beneath a descending bare foot 

Small dogs. Those fkers are evil.

• 2 weeks later...

Crickets have invaded my garage...it is so bad I have taken to marking them with white out and if I see them again then squish. Also I'm mistrustful of junebugs...

Life With Masks

Winged Ants. I legit almost had a panic attack when I was younger because the air was infested with them and it as PE time, had nowhere to run, so I dodged class.

Skeeters and biting flies are some obvious choices for me, but I'd also like to add chipmunks and geese. Chipmunks may look cute, but they are a menace to home foundations and love to stuff nuts and shit in every crevice of a frikin car. Geese just flat out suck, they crap everywhere, they can destroy a small ponds ecosystem, and they can be nasty as well.

On August 26, 2018 at 3:44 PM, Wandering Daydreamer said:

Winged Ants. I legit almost had a panic attack when I was younger because the air was infested with them and it as PE time, had nowhere to run, so I dodged class.

Those are actually the breeders and only come out at certain times of the year when the colony reaches an appropriate size.

I wanted add this in as well as I see a lot of people giving skeeters hate. From what I know (and experienced) they follow you based on the carbon monoxide you exhale so I'll hold my breathe for a little bit and try moving away quickly and it actually seems to work for me. A good bonus to this is to bring a friend along and NOT tell them this so that way the skeeters go after them instead of you.

knittinghistorian
On 8/19/2018 at 5:11 AM, afiero85 said:

Crickets have invaded my garage...it is so bad I have taken to marking them with white out and if I see them again then squish. Also I'm mistrustful of junebugs...

When I was in college, we had a cricket plague. That school has them periodically. I lived on the third floor of my dorm, and even so there were so many crickets, everyone stuffed towels under our doors to keep them out. One girl down the hall’s room was so infested she had to move! I could hear them chirping in the walls at all hours, too, and SMELL them. Crickets en masse have a nasty smell.

Dolphins. Horrible horrible horrible HORRIBLE!!!!!

Genocide-loving creepy big-brained monsters

My boyfriends least favorite is the Tapir

Spoiler

Malayan-Tapir-Nose.jpgtapir-3.jpg

J. van Deijck
On 7/29/2018 at 10:24 PM, Evren said:

Tapeworms. They're disgusting

On 7/29/2018 at 8:57 PM, Anthracite_Impreza said:

Ticks. I despise ticks. I've only ever seen one and I almost threw up.

these two definitely. :mellow: and any other kind of parasites.

Can't really think of any kind of animal that is least respectable, other than what was already suggested.  I really don't like mosquitos, and probably hate them the most because they're just... so fucking useless and annoying.  I can't think of one reason why they need to exist in an ecosystem, at least the blood sucking kind (the female).  The male ones don't suck blood, so they're okay in my book.  Most of the other creatures listed are vital for ecosystems, so no hatred towards them in particular.  I'm surprised spiders haven't been mentioned in this so far, which I'm happy about.  They are such important animals despite our historical and instinctual fear of them.  

On 7/29/2018 at 5:34 PM, Lichley said:

Blob fish are pretty gross. No offence but they’e really not nice to look at, and they’re covered in their own mucus as well.

I'm assuming you're talking about them outside the water?  Unfair comparison! :(  https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/in-defense-of-the-blobfish-why-the-worlds-ugliest-animal-isnt-as-ugly-as-you-think-it-is-6676336/

They are typical boney fish when they are in their natural habitat.  Their organs will literally compress on itself when they aren't in the deep sea, which is why seeing them outside of water is not so appealing.  They were designed to live in the ocean hundreds of depths down, not among us silly humans.  NOW APOLOGIZE :P 

4 hours ago, vmdraco said:

Can't really think of any kind of animal that is least respectable, other than what was already suggested.  I really don't like mosquitos, and probably hate them the most because they're just... so fucking useless and annoying.  I can't think of one reason why they need to exist in an ecosystem, at least the blood sucking kind (the female).  The male ones don't suck blood, so they're okay in my book.  Most of the other creatures listed are vital for ecosystems, so no hatred towards them in particular.  I'm surprised spiders haven't been mentioned in this so far, which I'm happy about.  They are such important animals despite our historical and instinctual fear of them.  

I'm assuming you're talking about them outside the water?  Unfair comparison! :(  https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/in-defense-of-the-blobfish-why-the-worlds-ugliest-animal-isnt-as-ugly-as-you-think-it-is-6676336/

They are typical boney fish when they are in their natural habitat.  Their organs will literally compress on itself when they aren't in the deep sea, which is why seeing them outside of water is not so appealing.  They were designed to live in the ocean hundreds of depths down, not among us silly humans.  NOW APOLOGIZE :P 

Still ugly. No take backsies. Plus the mucus thing still stands, yuck!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jetsun Milarepa
On 8/31/2018 at 4:18 AM, Muledeer said:

Cattle.  But they are delicious.  

Ah, there's a great book I'm reading right now called 'The secret life of Cows'....you'd love it!

• 4 weeks later...

People.

I really don't like most people.

Archived