Looking genderdfluid for closeted people?

Lokimiles

Im a 15 year old, and I identify as genderfluid. Unfortunately, my family is very religious and I can’t openly express my gender around them. Is there clothing or something I could wear that I could get thats more andogynous, that if need be I could just change into not around them? Thank you!

The closest thing to androgynous clothing would be unisex stuff, sweatshirts, jeans, etc. Something that both males and females wear, I guess. I've been wearing some neutral shirts and somewhat feminine pants because I'm questioning but have adopted the label demigirl for now.

Sorry if this didn't help ❤️ 

Captain_Tass

Hey, I'm 15 too and I could help you. Would you say your current wardrobe is more masculine or more feminine?

There's always the option of having certain items of clothing that you only wear when you're away from your family.

InfiniteNull

One of the things I tend to look at are women's clothes that pass as male clothes (jeans, button-up shirts, sneakers etc)... and men's clothes in colors that our society typically assigns to femininity (pinks, pastels, etc). You could start with a relatively boring outfit and then accessorize with gender confirming accessories. If you're trying to be more masculine then things in blacks, metals, leathers are all decent. If you're trying to feminize, cute bracelets, necklaces, hair accessories are good to start. This way you could store those things in a bag or something when the people you don't want to be out to are around and wear them when you're expressing yourself. Just be careful... you have to remember to change when switching or it could raise some eyebrows 😛

Good luck!

If you can talk your parents into at, an androgynous haircut can work wonders. My situation is different from yours, since both of my parents are accepting, but the one time I’ve ever managed to pass as male was when I had recently gotten my hair cut short for the first time, and I wasn’t even binding at the time, just wearing a baggy sweatshirt. That leads me to another tip: if it gets cold where you live, loose hoodies in neutral colors are a great way to look androgynous without sacrificng comfort. (I love men’s polo shirts, but if you don’t like collars then that might not be the best option for you.)

(This is for if you're trying to introduce more masculine aspects into your appearance or minimize prior femininity.) When I was your age and just starting to grapple with gender in a religious household, my go-to was hoodies, sneakers, jeans, and what I think they call a Bieber haircut. (Typical shaggy teen boy look.) My family never thought much of it, just thought I had made some unflattering fashion choices. Meanwhile, I was suddenly gender-ambiguous to a lot of people. I had strangers sometimes thinking I was a teenage boy, sometimes a teenage girl, and sometimes a prepubescent boy. So it was pretty simple but very effective. Now that I'm older, though, I consistently get identified as female, even if I'm wearing a binder, short hair, hoodie-and-jeans outfits, and no makeup. I think it's because I look adult but have no facial hair, deep voice, or other adult male markers. I guess my point is, for some people it's enough just to cut your hair and wear more neutral clothes, while for others that wouldn't be enough. And it might change over time. I don't know your family and can't say for sure, but based on my experience, I think you're probably safe experimenting in small doses at a time without your family getting too suspicious.

• 1 month later...

My mom is religious as well. I'm closeted too. I try to dress androgynously which includes baggy, unisex shirts and a pair of pants. I own two different sizes of unisex shirts and I wear the tighter fitting one when I wake up feminine and the larger size when I'm feeling masculine. Wearing black can help your hips and chest look thinner then they are and white will do the opposite.

For masculinity, try sagging your pants a bit, bind with two sports bras (put one on the normal way and the other on backwards), and try to walk/ pose differently. Slouch and spread your legs.

For femininity, wear one sports bra (or a normal bra) and stand up straight. Move your hips a little when you walk. A helpful tip I got from a book (Symptoms of Being Human by Jeff Garvin. It's a great book and the main character is genderfluid) is to put on chapstick. It will feel like you're putting on makeup. 

Depending on how much your gender fluctuates, you should bring an extra outfit or accessories such as hats or jewelry. Bandanas/scarves are a good accessory as well. You can turn them into headbands, bracelets, etc.

Great stuff above - How about getting a binder (if you can keep it hidden from your parents?) THat might help if your chest is giving you dysphoria.

Archived