• Yes
    • No
    • Both print and cursive
    • Don't know how to write in cursive
  2. 2. Can you read cursive?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sorta
  3. 3. Do you think that even if people do not know how to write in cursive they should at least know how to read it?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (state in comments)
  4. 4. Do you think cursive is dying?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sorta
    • I don't know
  5. 5. Do you think they should still teach cursive in school?

• Yes
    • No
    • Doesn't matter

This poll is closed to new votes

user23974865

In 4th or 5th grade I decided that cursive writing was just too hard (I made mistakes all the time, my handwriting was really slow, sometimes I couldn't read it myself, and it just didn't get any easier), so I spent some time crafting my own little version of the Roman alphabet letter by letter and then I switched to it. I think I had been using print capital letters since 2nd grade already.

I think maybe cursive writing should be taught in art class.

I write in an amalgamation of print and cursive for the most part, but enjoy "doodling" lyrics or quotes in cursive. 😊 If I'm writing a letter or writing in a card, I'll use cursive. We had to learn it in elementary school and it sort of baffles me that kids nowadays often can't write nor read cursive. I do write out my signature in cursive. 

• 2 weeks later...
Captain Jay

I learned how to write in cursive in... I think middle school, but the only thing I've really used it for since then is signing my name. I'm sure that it's just habit, as I've seen a lot of signatures that don't look like much of anything, let alone the writers' names.

In any event, I don't think that teaching cursive is all that necessary. In addition to potentially being hard to read, it doesn't seem to have a lot of uses, what with non-written communication (such as typing and talking) being more common than ever these days.

(My handwriting, for my part, is small and plain enough that people have remarked on it as such. Maybe that's another reason I've never really gotten behind cursive.)

In some of the early school years, writing in cursive was mandatory. I remember hating it, for the reason my handwriting was remarkably ugly and once, when I was 8 years old I think, I got sent to a school counselor's room because I was not putting enough effort in my handwriting. (She was not actually a counselor but I don't know the correct word in English for what she did)

After those school years, more specifically when the teachers stopped demanding the students to write in cursive, I slowly started to completely ditch the cursive. I have always liked to copy the letters I saw in typed text and use as my handwriting and I still do it. One person even commented that my handwriting was "Tahoma", the font face, this was almost 10 years ago.

I don't think cursive is dying, it seems like many places still prefer to use it. Most times I can read it fine, but not always. As long as I am not forced to write in cursive, everything is fine.

My dislike for cursive is more of a personal quirk. And I am still very sensitive to when my handwriting is criticized.

njosnavelin

It has been decades since I have used cursive. I did it tonight to see if I could even do it. I did my cursive example in Turkish for all of the handwriting nerds out there.

https://imgur.com/rKJElTv

• 1 month later...
TheCatBehind

Here in Poland everyone uses cursive, from 5yo children to 80/90/100yo people ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's just something that everyone learns when they are 4-7, alongside reading and maths and English if you are lucky.

Honestly I didn't think it was a skill or anything impressive to write with the characters joined, it's so much faster! Especially towards the end of secondary education is super useful to know how to write fast, especially if you are not allowed a laptop or something to type with.

And because of the fact that everyone knows how to write and read cursive when there's something in print we know it's important, a bit like THIS – using caps ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So no, I don't think cursive is dying out more than plain old writing with a pen on paper is. Which I don't believe it really is? Maybe it's a Poland thing. 

Most of what I write by hand is in cursive. However, I prefer to type on a full-size keyboard because it's a lot faster and mistakes are more easily corrected. Also, being left-handed I smear ink all the time and have some difficulty writing neatly and comfortably.

I had quite an insightful teacher once who explained how teaching small children to print runs contrary to their learning, that their tendency to doodle in big circles makes cursive a more logical choice.

I'm glad I went to school when I did, the system is pretty much trashed at the moment. When I was in grades 3 and 4 learning to write in cursive was stressed quite a bit.

• 2 months later...
Feryn_Hyte

I was pretty much exclusively taught to write in cursive during my grade school years, so I only ever write in cursive.  ( My print looks like a drunk preschooler's ) I've had a lot of trouble with people not being able to read cursive, but I don't think that they should be forced to learn to read it. Frankly, I think I just need to work on my print XD

CelesteAdAstra

Cursive is very precious to me as someone who's obsessed with calligraphy. My handwriting is a work in progress since many years, it's a form of art that I want to get more and more beautiful. My cursive's been inspired by that of many well-known figures like poets and artists.

I think it's a beautiful way to express yourself and an important cultural property, and it would be a shame if it was ever forgotten.

Cursive was mandatory when I was in school, if I remember right we were given homework to write lines in cursive a lot.

I write in cursive pretty much all of the time now, I just think its quite beautiful and fun to write, although print can be better for note-taking sometimes.

Over the years my style has become a bit of a patchwork where I've borrowed bits from nice styles I've come across, but I can't say I've had any cases where people have struggled to read it. Might just be my area though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• 3 weeks later...

@RodFire8181

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived