• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What are your main reasons for cycling

• Commuting to work/college/school/university
    • Leisure
    • Sight seeing
    • Exercise
    • Sporting /competitive
    • To get places (shopping, friends house etc)
    • Other reason - please state
    • Don't cycle
  3. 3. When cycling, do you wear a helmet?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't cycle

This poll is closed to new votes

Poll on cycling

I mainly cycle for exercise and always wear a helmet.

I ticked "commuting to work" because there was no option for "commuting to uni". Guess that counts, doesn't it?

I like neither driving nor going by bus so cycling is my preferred way of getting places. I do take the bus in certain kinds of weather (heavy snow or rain, icy streets, fog, storm).

2 minutes ago, Jona said:

I ticked "commuting to work" because there was no option for "commuting to uni". Guess that counts, doesn't it?

I'll edit that in, thanks for pointing it out :)

SpaceDustbin

I cycle occasionally, either leisure or to get somewhere, but gave up on commuting (too many hills where I live now,  which is tough for a Dutch person, haha). I'm used to not wearing a helmet (especially in NL), but I have started to wear one recently

I used to, but I've, er... grown out of it.

njosnavelin

For those of you who do not wear a helmet. WEAR A HELMET.

You can meet my roommate who has gotten into two cycling accidents without a helmet. Both accidents he was in a coma for a month. He now walks funny and  has a speech  impediment. He has a couple screws loose. It is unfortunate. He is at least alive. 

For eveeyone: CARS HAVE BLIND SPOTS. Yield to them. Use hand signals so everyone knows your intentions. Obey the rules of the road. Dont assume you have the right away. Don’t put yourself in a situation that invites anymore danger. Wearing a helmet doesn't mean you ride riskier.  Bike lanes and helmets give a false sense of security. ALWAYS BE ALERT 🚨 

I cycle everywhere. Cycling is a form of transport exercise leasure and a good source of fun.

Just gone on a 17 mile ride for fun.

Cycling is a major part of my life.

Anthracite_Impreza

When I come to power I'm going to round all cyclists up, ship them to France and build a big wall around it.

AwkwardAxolotl

I cycle for fun/exercise mostly, though I've also been contemplating trying a triathalon. I technically live close enough to where I work to cycle to work, but the roads here are too narrow, don't have a shoulder, and have a lot of blind curves, so cycling on the roads is dangerous. I usually stick to rail trails and the like, they're straight enough and wide enough that the ATVs and I can avoid each other. Usually I only bike on paved surfaces in November, if the snows come late enough that there's a gap between when the seasonal roads close to cars and when they get snowed in. And I always wear a helmet.

Grumpy Alien

I assume cycling is referring to bicycles and not motorcycles? And any form of using a bike, not just competitively? 

I hate bikes. They're very uncomfortable to sit on and I get tired and sweaty very fast. I'm also very uncomfortable navigating anywhere where there might be people or cars. I don't feel safe on a bike in that environment, like I could fall over or hit something at any moment. In the US, there's nowhere I could safely leave a bike. Bike racks are rare and bike locks don't stop people from stealing bikes. I would not be able to bike as a means of transportation here, it's just not possible. (It's also much too far to actually get to anywhere other than maybe a bank or grocery store via bike.) In the UK, bikes are actually considered road vehicles and have to be on the road as if they're a car. NO WAY, JOSE. YOU COULDN'T PAY ME ENOUGH. The roads are narrow and winding too, which is scary enough in an a car. No way would I try that on a bike with cars surrounding me. I have grown to hate bicycles living there because they do have to be in the main roads and just slow traffic immensely because it's very difficult to go around them on narrow winding roads with cars going in both directions or not enough room to pass. You just have to wait until they turn or you turn in a different direction to go a normal speed again. It's infuriating.

If I were to use a bike, I would use a helmet because I don't want to die.

girlwiththelongskirt
4 hours ago, SpaceDustbin said:

I cycle occasionally, either leisure or to get somewhere, but gave up on commuting (too many hills where I live now,  which is tough for a Dutch person, haha). I'm used to not wearing a helmet (especially in NL), but I have started to wear one recently

Why have you started to wear a helmet?

28 minutes ago, okir fokir said:

I assume cycling is referring to bicycles and not motorcycles? And any form of using a bike, not just competitively?

Yes, bicycles not motorcycles

The helmet question is because of an observation when I see people cycling in town, I very rarely see any with helmets on though ones I meet when I go for Sunday cycles will always be in helmets. 

I do need a new helmet though as I had a fall 2 weeks ago but the helmet was very much needed but at the minute I am nursing a few other injuries from the fall so not in the mood yet to cycle again.

butterflydreams

I always wear a helmet. If I didn't I probably would've died when I had an accident 3 years ago.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I cycle every day to work and back which s a total of 8 miles a day. If I didn't , I'd find myself taking 1 hour 40 minutes to go 4 miles! Tailbacks here are awful. 

I also save £60 a month for the privilege of sitting in a queue of cars, plus. I keep myself reasonably fit in the process.

SpaceDustbin
21 minutes ago, Char-lotte99 said:

Why have you started to wear a helmet?

I sort of trust myself on a bike, and I have no problems with Dutch traffic, but living in Denmark, it's slightly different to cycle (different attitude towards cycling, and sharing the road with cars in the city. Also... more hills), so there's a slightly higher chance on accidents. 

And if you accidentally fall, helmets may prevent some serious damage, so I think it's better to be safe than sorry ;)

That, and I recently almost launched myself off my bike, hitting a loose street tile, while cycling 30 km/h ish, and that was scary enough, so I think that was the deciding moment for me actually wear a helmet.

The stupid thing is that I wear all types of protective gear when skateboarding, but never really thought it necessary for biking

I didn't know there were many cyclists on the forums!

7 hours ago, Mz Terry said:

Can't balance on a bike.  

:) It's never too late to learn, if it's something you'd like to try. There are adults who haven't ridden a bike in decades, since they were children (or who hadn't ridden one, before), who got into it for fun or for commuting to work, and are happy they started.

6 hours ago, Tintinfan said:

I cycle everywhere. Cycling is a form of transport exercise leasure and a good source of fun.

Just gone on a 17 mile ride for fun...

Hi. Do you have any tips for cycling that distance or farther? I only tried that, once, and my legs were so sore, afterwards, that I felt as though I wouldn't ever attempt to cycle that distance, again. Now, on weekends, it seems my maximum limit is around 10 or 11 miles for my legs. I ride on a hybrid, not a road bike; so, perhaps that makes the difference.

I used to not wear a helmet because I mostly commuted on the sidewalk or through neighborhoods with a lower speed limit, but now, where I live, I wear one because the traffic moves at a faster pace, due to higher speed limits.

I ride a bicycle as transport to stores and for leisure and exercise and to get to a hobby location. My hobby is railfanning. I would be lost without my bicycle. I once rode a bicycle 30 miles (48 kilometers) in one day. My goal is being able to bicycle 50 miles (80 kilometers) in one day.

And yes, I wear a helmet as I'm not keen on a traumatic brain injury in a crash.

2 hours ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

I didn't know there were many cyclists on the forums!

:) It's never too late to learn, if it's something you'd like to try. There are adults who haven't ridden a bike in decades, since they were children (or who hadn't ridden one, before), who got into it for fun or for commuting to work, and are happy they started.

Hi. Do you have any tips for cycling that distance or farther? I only tried that, once, and my legs were so sore, afterwards, that I felt as though I wouldn't ever attempt to cycle that distance, again. Now, on weekends, it seems my maximum limit is around 10 or 11 miles for my legs. I ride on a hybrid, not a road bike; so, perhaps that makes the difference.

What I find as a good way to increase distances is to take it piece by piece

When I got back into gear this year in the end of march I started at 23km but by end of June, I was  at 45km with a bit hillier route

1 hour ago, iff said:

What I find as a good way to increase distances is to take it piece by piece

When I got back into gear this year in the end of march I started at 23km but by end of June, I was  at 45km with a bit hillier route

My routes are always hilly, so they always seem challenging. I've heard of guys who aren't professional cyclists being able to cycle those distances, but haven't heard from females, much, about how they're able to handle the soreness or the changes in their menstrual cycles. I've always liked trying to push myself further distances in sports like jogging/running, but I noticed that, even though I felt as though my body could handle longer distances, it would negatively affect my menstrual cycle and cause it to stop, completely. Only stopping exercising for a while or reducing my exercising would help bring it back. So, while I like the idea of trying to cycle longer distances, I'm also kind of worried that attempting it might also cause my menstrual cycle to stop, again.

39 minutes ago, Chocolatedevil00 said:

No I don't... mainly because I never learned

Oh; that's okay. I highly recommend it; one of the things I like best about it is, with cycling in the summer, I don't sweat as much because cycling creates a breeze that feels as though it's cooling me down, whereas, attempting to jog or run in the summer makes me sweat more because there isn't a breeze at all.

I do cycle (very occasionally) only for leisure or running quick errands such as posting a letter, and always wear a helmet. 

everywhere and nowhere

I don't and won't wear a helmet for either cycling or skiing because of my allergy. My skin gets too hot and it itches.

(Btw, as for skiing, I can't even wear typical goggles because my skin also itches from the foam part. I use wind-protective sunglasses for sports in sunny weather and wind-protective transparent glasses, theoretically made for physical work, in non-sunny weather. ;)

I really only like cycling for leisure and exercise, on bike paths far away from any roads where cars would be, since I don’t feel safe riding in bike lanes or on side walks right next to a road. I haven’t rode my bike in a while since I prefer to spend most of my free time indoors though. I always wear a helmet when I ride a bike.

Hayis4horses

I'm surprised at how many people wear helmets. Almost everyone around here doesn't wear a helmet.

On 7/22/2018 at 2:53 PM, Mz Terry said:

Can't balance on a bike.  

Same here. Last time I tried, years ago, I was unable to and have never tried again. Also, even if I could, I'd have to strictly stay on a bike path because the mere thought of riding among the cars is scary to me.

I used to and used to love it many many years ago. I'd have to be picky on bike seats now though

Did you know that most kids in Germany do a driving licence for bicycles in the last year of primary school? Around that age it becomes illegal for them to drive on the pavement (sidewalk), so they have to know the basics of navigating the streets, traffic rules, right of way, road signs etc.

The licence is a combination of theoretical knowledge - we even wrote a test - and practical training with two very kind police officers who also checked the safety of our bikes. Those who didn't have a bike one could borrow one. Wearing a helmet was compulsory.

I think it's a great idea. Of course it's not illegal for a child to cycle without a licence; they just issue those to make the kids proud and to make it look more official, I guess.

it's leisure/exercise/getting places all in one. perfect. don't know why people drive around with cars so much. 

Archived