Style advice for a young adult

Charlotte Holmes

Charlotte Holmes

I'm a young adult trying to figure out my sense of style. I dress in a sort of fifties pin-up style, but I feel like it doesn't really suit me. So I want to know- what are some sophisticated clothing choices I could wear that don't rely too much on curves and cleavage to look nice, but aren't baggy? Nothing's being "accentuated" too much. Maybe a little bit "witchy" looking. I love a touch of gothic influence 😜

For reference: I really love the style choices of Florence Welch, Stevie Nicks, and Helena Bonham Carter, and I like japanese mori fashion. I like complex patterns and unique fabrics, and lots of embroidery and beading. What do you recommend? 

Scottthespy

You might consider hippy style clothing...that's how I tend to dress, and it lets you mix and match bright colours and crazy patterns...though if you try to do it in dark colours you just end up looking like a movie pirate. A lot of hippy clothes are loose, while not being exactly baggy, and it can be as simple as jeans and a tie dye tshirt or as complex as...well when I was doing it in winter I had to wear like ten layers to stay warm without a bulky boring winter jacket...

Judging by the styles of the three women you mentioned though, you might look at greaser style, with its leather jackets and  tight tube tops that look good no matter how little curve you've got. 

Or...beat your own path. Find clothes you like the look of, mix and match them, put things together. I tried hippy-goth to discover 'pirate', but it still looked good. I've seen people rock a combination of glam and puritan, and the kid in my highschool who was the most popular wore linked together baby toys raver beads and stuck a my little pony toy to his head in standing position...and this was well before gen4 and the bronies became a thing. Whatever clothes you wear will look better just for you FEELING good in them, and as long as they're not so tight you bulge out of them, others will see the confidence first and that will effect how they perceive the outfit.

This is going to sound cliched, but just wear whatever makes you feel confident.

Thrift stores and Etsy are great for finding really unique items.

• 2 weeks later...
J. van Deijck

just be yourself. wear whatever you want.

Archived