Arousal Nonconcordance

Comrade F&F

Comrade F&F

This is a TED video about arousal nonconcordance, when your body responds to stimuli differently than your mind. I'm not sure where this should be posted, so mods, please move it if you need to. 😄

It talks about sex, but it's in a very scientific approach.

Edit: *Trigger warning* This video warns viewers about mature content, as the last sections of the video talks about upsetting content, such as unwanted intercourse and rape. But please do not let that shy you away from the video. This is an important message and can provide valuable insight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-q-tSHo9Ho

I think I needed to hear this. Thank you!

AcornCarvings

I appreciate that you added the warning, the video really caught me off guard and made me remember some things I wasn't really prepared for. For me content warnings let me steel myself to the topic so I can listen/watch/whatever without going into a panic reaction.

I do agree that it is a really good talk and I am glad in the end that I listened to it. The speaker really laid out the facts of how people's bodies react to stimuli, and very clearly showed the harm that comes with assuming that is the same thing as wanting and enjoyment.

So yeah, thanks for sharing it ^_^

Locking this pending admod review 

Skycaptain moderator TGA 

Edit, reopening having hidden the off-topic posts. Can we now please keep to the topic raised by the OP. Thank you 

When I saw this talk a while ago I thought - yes, this is so important, especially when you can't easily combine two things - how are you feeling about something in your mind (so whether you REALLY want to do something or not) and how your body is reacting at that moment (just purely reacting to physical stimuli).

It can be a really confusing state when these two don't match and yes, sadly, it's easy (especially when young and inexperienced) to get manipulated into doing something by a person who can sense this confusion/hesitation in you and use it to get what they want. 

The best thing to do IMO is actually ignore your body and find a clear "mental head-space" moment to see if there is that enthusiastic YES, I WANT IT, IT FEELS GREAT inside your mind. If not, if it's just a slightly confused "maybe" or "I don't know" (or you're drunk and can't have that moment of clarity at all), you may potentially regret the whole experience afterwards.

Wish that video existed when I was 17 to be honest... 

This is a very important topic that should be taught in schools to teenagers who will naturally feel confused about desire & consent vs arousal issue as it's all new to them. I didn't find this talk triggering but yes, someone could make a video on the same topic without using examples of, erm, criminal nature, just for more sensitive or younger folks. 

It's not great when we have older teens who know everything about all kinds of sex and probably tried it themselves but they have no clue about this issue!      

• 4 weeks later...
WoodwindWhistler

Ah yes . . . had to write a chapter in my story about this. Writing a character who's 'asexual' who doesn't know that word is . . . interesting. Add in the fact that both of these guys use rather antiquated and, let's say, non-explicit language, it's also sort of hard to get them to spit out what they mean to say. 

And yet being magical talking animals does not seem to pose any specific challenges. Haha.

So, if anyone cares to read it, I guess they can judge how well they think it got explained even without specific terms.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZaTF9RADw2ESSEb6YI9CCmH5EieUo_X6bbsBJMUXBeU/edit?usp=sharing

Archived