Palovana

Old Technology

daveb
5 hours ago, ryn2 said:

Ugh, haven’t seen a towel roll in a while!

me neither

some places don't even do paper towels, just the stupid blow-dryers (I really dislike the kind where you have to slide your hands through a slot and try to avoid touching anything) which often don't dry very well 

• Like 1

froglady
5 hours ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:
7 hours ago, froglady said:

Cloth towels? I've never heard of that, only paper towels

Yes. There were two spools inside the metal thing on the wall. A person grabbed ahold of each side of the towel and pulled more of the clean towel from the top roll. There was supposed to be a mechanism that rolled up the dirty part on to the bottom spool. Often that part didn't work very well and there would be a long loop of used cloth toweling that hung down to the floor. There were businesses that laundered the towels and supplied the dispensers with clean rolls of towel. I don't know if I explained that very well.

• Like 2

ryn2
26 minutes ago, froglady said:

Yes. There were two spools inside the metal thing on the wall. A person grabbed ahold of each side of the towel and pulled more of the clean towel from the top roll. There was supposed to be a mechanism that rolled up the dirty part on to the bottom spool. Often that part didn't work very well and there would be a long loop of used cloth toweling that hung down to the floor. There were businesses that laundered the towels and supplied the dispensers with clean rolls of towel. I don't know if I explained that very well.

Exactly!  Sometimes they were coin-op, or exhausted, or jammed, so you had to look for a dry spot or go without.

• Like 1

Skycaptain

Those towel dispensers are a lot less common, but some businesses still have them. 

Not old tech, but daft tech on the same subject, who thought high speed dryers with no water collection facilities were a good idea. The water off your hands either ends up on your clothes or makes the tiled floor slippery 

• Like 2

pickles mcgee
8 hours ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

Cloth towels? I've never heard of that, only paper towels.

I love towel rolls.  Actual, clean cloth!  The ones I've used have always worked well.  And did I mention real cloth?  And...clean?

One old tech that was new to me was an abacus when I lived in Japan from 1981-1982 (age 23-24).  I got a job in a fancy bakery and my crash course in the abacus consisted of just diving in on my first day work.  That's what all the other employees were using so I just figured I had to (the cash registers did not figure change).  I was new in the country and still getting used to the Japanese money system, so it was a crash course in that as well, but I'm proud to say I was fine by the end of that first day.  Emergencies are good teachers/motivators.

• Like 5

InquisitivePhilosopher

I'm slightly surprised my relatives didn't mention cloth towels existing when they were growing up, but I guess they either didn't live in areas that had them or it wasn't something they cared about. 

• Like 4

daveb

Could be something they took for granted back then, but don't think about these days. 

• Like 2

thylacine

Cloth towel in public bathroom were full of awful germs!

• Like 3

Barbio

I don't necessarily "prefer" old technology to new, but I do find it fascinating to research and to learn about. One of my characters who I often write about is a self-proclaimed "tech historian" who eventually opens a museum dedicated to old electronics. I would love to check out an actual museum like that someday! (I know they exist, I just haven't been to any.)

The cloth towel rolls sound interesting. I'm grateful for paper towels, but I never knew that that's how it was done in the olden days!

As for my own relationship to old tech: I didn't get my first smartphone until earlier this year. Before then, I took pictures with my mom's old digital camera (she doesn't need it anymore now that she has a smartphone), only listened to music on my computer or on a CD player, played games on my Game Boy Advance (I still do sometimes- the screen doesn't emit any light, which my eyes appreciate), and researched driving routes ahead of time and wrote them down on paper (I don't miss that at all- GPS is so much safer than taking your eyes off the road to look at the directions you've written). I still listen to CDs using my car's CD player and occasionally check out books/DVDs/CDs from the library (it's free and I don't have to rely on other people downloading the same files like with torrents, haha).

• Like 2

mindlife

Harmonograph and cycloid drawing machines. 

The mechanical brailler.

Rotary boraxo soap dispensers.

• Like 1

Marrow

I've always stated that we are in a "era of useless technology". A lot of the stuff that comes out now is just dumb, but I have always had a soft spot for the older stuff. My car only has a cassette player and knobs  and any time any one mocks it I just say it's "vintage".

• Like 2

thylacine

LOL...  I still wish my car had a cassette player, because I have so many cassettes!

• Like 2

Skycaptain

BabyBenz has still got the factory blanking plate where no radio equipment has ever been installed. 

• Like 1

cavalier080854

My job in the Military in the 1970s meant I was fixing communications which had valves. Only one radio had transistors. Analogue rules OK

Alas they introduced chips in the late 70s. Booo

• Like 2

cavalier080854

I can remember when Gender didn't exist and there were only 2 sexes, and 4 sexual orientations, hetero, homo, bi and asexual.

• Like 1

kiaroskuro
On 10/30/2018 at 9:53 PM, cavalier080854 said:

I can remember when Gender didn't exist and there were only 2 sexes, and 4 sexual orientations, hetero, homo, bi and asexual.

Do you mean that the recognition of asexuality as a sexual orientation predates the establishment of gender studies? That'd be news to me.

• Like 1

thylacine
On 10/30/2018 at 4:53 PM, cavalier080854 said:

LOL...  I can remember when Gender didn't exist and there were only 2 sexes, and people just didn't "talk about those other orientations!"  And if they did talk, they whispered.

chandrakirti
On 10/30/2018 at 8:53 PM, cavalier080854 said:

Ah, Kinsey? 1950s? Or were you thinking of earlier than that?

My workplace wastes so much paper I could scream, None of it is recycled.