Sign in to follow this  
Pramana

Illustrated Asexual Community History by Nat Titman!

Pramana

Nat Titman (paranoidgynandroid or quarridors) is notable for starting an asexual community on LiveJournal in 2002 and for writing AVEN's Big FAQ. They have recently published an illustrated history of early online asexual communities titled "Asexuality BC (Before Cake)". The article is illuminating for a number of reasons, including Titman's explanations for decisions made by themself and David Jay when defining terminology and creating symbols. Despite first appearing on one of Nat Titman's personal websites last fall, I don't think the article has been discussed on AVEN until now.

https://graphicexplanations.info/2017/10/29/asexuality-bc-before-cake/

• Like 2

BionicPi

This is a really cool article!

• Like 1

InquisitivePhilosopher

That's an interesting article; I didn't know that there were asexual references in articles and T.V. shows in the 90s (I didn't know Doctor Who existed at the time), but I think that's because of where and how I grew up. I agree with them; the one, big downside was that AVEN wasn't as diverse in the beginning, socio-economically. Only private, college-educated students from middle-class and upper middle-class educated families seemed to be represented. So, it kind of felt awkward and difficult for, say, a would-be first-generation college student to try and follow their scholarly discussions or make friends with them because their backgrounds and English language were different.

• Like 1