How financially dependent are you on people in your life?

AcornCarvings

How financially dependent are you on other people in your life?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. how financially dependent would you say you are on other people in your life?

• prefer not to answer
    • completely dependent
    • somewhat dependent
    • mostly independent
    • completely independent
    • ..none of these choices made any sense.. (please say why below if that's cool)
  2. 2. do you think that will change in the next two years?

• prefer not to answer
    • yes, I will become more dependent
    • yes, I will become less dependent
    • no, I don't think it will change much/at all
    • ..none of these choices make any sense..
  3. 3. Who are you financially dependent on?

• parents/guardians
    • siblings
    • friends
    • significant other (however you define it)
    • spouse
    • aid programs
    • other
    • prefer not to answer
    • I'm not financially dependent on other people.
  4. 4. does being financially dependent ever bug you

• prefer not to answer
    • idk
    • no
    • yes

This poll is closed to new votes

AcornCarvings

Hi everyone, I was just wondering about this question.

Feel free to say if this is a stupid poll or if there are changes I should make

May I correct my answer? I clicked the wrong one on question 2. I will become more INdependent, not more dependent.

Being dependent bugs me a lot because my family robbed me of my independence. I would not have become dependent if my family had not meddled.

Completely dependent on the state/social services, completely independent from any individual person.

I don't think either is going to change, and  I like both the way it is.

With some humor I could say that I'm dependent on the people who pay me for the jobs I take. But I'm self employed and I guess that falls into independent.

If you want the truth, I hate being financially independent. I'd hate being dependent too. I just hate money in general and how no matter what choice I make, I don't actually have a choice. Like it or no I live in a world were I need money in some fashion and that means I can't get away from the rat race no matter how much I want to.

I'm living in a facility with forty other people. It is a policy at this facility that none of us are allowed to cook because a few of us might accidentally burn the place down. The facility serves a lot of high carb foods (pancakes, french toast, biscuits and gravy, and all the meat is breaded and fried). I want the independence to be allowed to cook my own food. I want some vegetables.

In a way, I'm Oliver Twist holding my bowl up and saying, "Please, sir, may I have some more." Only I'm asking for more nutrition. And all of this while I am working forty hours a week so I can afford to feed myself if I am allowed to cook the food I buy.

I'm young, so for the most part, I wouldn't mind being financially dependent at this age. However, my living situations and filial relationships are less than ideal, and part of the reason that I haven't been working regularly and supporting myself is because I perceive (and experience actual) limitations on my own part to work. I've been in the mindset that I need to heal and help myself, and my mental health has been consistently pretty bad throughout my life, but I also get sick in pretty much every work situation I go into (because of a weakened immune system from chronic stress, among other things). I'm just in a weird place in my life where absolutely nothing feels right, and the fact that I feel like I "need" to be supported by people I don't trust doesn't help.

Grumpy Alien

I’m not sure how to answer this at the moment. I have been completely financially independent for years but am currently in debt and waiting for my first paycheck in 7 months. (I spent 6 months abroad to live with my now fiancé - no regrets but it broke the bank.) So my mom is currently giving me money so I can eat. My hours at work for the time being are sporadic so I don’t have a clue what my pay will be like. So... shrug. Major cause of anxiety at the moment.

I've gone through the "being dependent" stage to being "independent but relying on parents for housing and paying for it" to "independent". It only took best part of 40 years, though. 

I think financially independent

Though I do depend on others for other things

Anthracite_Impreza

If it weren't for my parents and the government finally acknowledging I'm disabled, I'd be stuffed. I can't honestly see that ever changing cos I can't hold a job down, though if I outlive my financial supports I'll get more stuffed.

Alejandrogynous

I'm mostly independent except for housing, as I live with family. I'm hoping to be able to get my own place within the next few years if all goes as planned. Student loans are a bitch.

More financially independent than a good chunk of my family. It seems to go with good years and bad years

I've been independent since I was 17.  

However,  that's just a fact of my particular life, not anything to be proud of.  For other adults who need help, there should be no shame in that.  It's hard enough to have difficulties that cause dependence without people making you feel shame.  

To Each Their Own

I’m financially independent. 

I also financially help a friend out who has been unemployed for over a year and is having a difficult time looking for a job. 

Also, my sister is now looking to me for financial help because she is having a difficult time. 

I think everyone has, at some point, had to rely on others for help.  If you haven't yet...you probably will.  I am 99.9% financially independent.  Not a full 100% because I have had to borrow from my mom in the past.  I have my house, cars, pay all my bills, buy my own stuff, etc.  BUT life has a way of throwing major disasters at you that you are not ready for (financially or otherwise) -- and it is WONDERFUL to know that there are people there who will help if needed. 

I would struggle without my significant other as would also need to support our child. I imagine that I would be able to manage if I had to though. 

I haven't relied on family in a decade and I doubt they would be able to support me anyway. 

I'm 17, so I'm financially dependent on my parents. But I have a pretty high-paying job and I rarely buy anything, so I do have a lot of money and my parents are kind of financially dependent on me sometimes. But I plan on moving out in 2019 and being more independent.

Completely independent. I guess technically dependent on my employer, though I have no doubt I'd find another job; plus I have enough money on the side to last a while outside a job, so I'm not gonna count that ;)

But to be fair, this might be heavily skewed based on the age of this poll's participants! :)

I wouldn't expect someone still in school (or even college for most people) to be financially independent; that'll heavily shift in adulthood though (not to 100% of people being independent obviously, but still quite the difference)

For the most part I'm independent. I live alone with no roommates or spouse helping me out. Once in a while my dad buys things for me and he still pays my cell phone bill. I have told him I can start paying my own cell phone bill if he wants, but he just said "Nah that's okay", so if he's fine with it then so am I.

Member131995

I'm mostly independent. I pay my own cell phone, medical bills, car loan, Netflix, music streaming service, all my loans (car, student) except for one small one are in my name. I'm gainfully employed and actively looking for my own place. The only thing is I still like with my folks and I'm on my dad's health insurance. I'm moving out in a few months and I'm getting my own insurance but waiting to turn 25. 

I can't wait to gain complete financial independence from my folks because I just don't like having to depend on anyone financially. Plus, even though they say they want nothing in return, my parents often use that against me. "Well, you live here too so...XYZ" or "we did help you with/buy XYZ, so we think XYZ should happen". I don't mind getting help but I don't need it lorded over me. If that's going to happen, I'd rather have no help at all.

J. van Deijck

I live with my bf and we both earn our own money, so you know. we share it, but he earns more than me, so I am a bit dependent on him sometimes. 

cavalier080854

Totally independent. Brought up to "18 and you are out the door".

In actual fact I was out the door at 16y 1m, never looked back

• 5 months later...

Nowadays quite a number of people are financially dependent on me.

I am, however, very dependent on my wife (yes, we have married, after so many years it became finally possible) in some other respects.

1. how financially dependent would you say you are on other people in your life?

I depend on social programs. I have been disabled for over 20 years. If I was required to work to be permitted housing and food I would starve or freeze to death depending on the season

2. do you think that will change in the next two years?

My disabilities seem to get worse with each passing year

3. Who are you financially dependent on?

Social programs. If I depended on family I would have died years ago.

4. does being financially dependent ever bug you

Mostly when people call me a leech who should just die

• 6 months later...

@AcornCarvings

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived