Career Help!

Galactic Turtle

Galactic Turtle

Hello humans. ^_^

I have a problem (I think). The problem is I never have a real job and by "real job" I mean "full time with benefits and paid vacation days." But that's not all that unusual because I'm in the music industry. I work behind the scenes for concerts, festivals, and on tour. My career goal is to tour manage an arena tour. The closest I've gotten to that is assistant tour managing a theater tour (2000-6000 capacity venues). I'm currently working at a club (300 capacity) handling all the tours that come through arranging logistics and hospitality for day of show. I've had this job since the end of March. Before that I was at a performing arts center doing production and before that I was on the road with a few summer festivals doing logistics. 

The reason I chose my current job is because it would be my first "real job." Good pay, dental and vision, paid time off, 401k plan, business card, an actual HR department, the whole package. My parents were ecstatic at the prospect of me settling down in one place (they still hold out hope I'll get married soon). Aside from that I knew it would be good for networking. With a desire to keep touring someday, having a job where I get to know different tour managers on a nightly basis can potentially hook me up for future opportunities. Nevertheless, I keep catching glimpses of the company's financial issues. It's also not just a music venue, it's a music venue/restaurant/event space so there's a whole lot of types of staff I'm not used to interacting with who don't know anything about the music business.

On top of that there's a pretty large hospitality component to my job which is fine, I can handle it, it's just that I really want to focus on the production/logistics side of things rather than the logistics/hospitality side. I spend most of my nights ordering food for bands, clearing dishes, and keeping the alcohol flowing. Doing this isn't doing anything to develop the skills I'd like to. My counterparts at other locations (the company has venues in multiple cities) don't have anywhere near the experience I had coming into this and there's also a very big company mentality where it seems like people either pass through briefly or completely buy into the company culture. As someone who has been pretty much a nomad, having such a company culture is a bit jarring. Since I began this job at the end of March there has been relatively high turnover. It's a new music venue. Two people were fired and two have quit on the management side.

Today I was offered a touring gig: two weeks, ten cities, several more weeks of pre and post production work. I'd be hitting the road at the end of September. It's a door back into what I actually want to be doing but... here are my thoughts:

PROS:

- The tour manager for this run is someone who I've worked with before and respect

- His touring company is based in LA, a hub for touring gigs, and this could present an opportunity to move there

- I'd be working with my favorite genre of music

- Since it's with a new company there's a good chance I'd be asked to do more projects with them

- The tour would be ending mid-October which is a good time of year to pick up more touring gigs

- I'd leave my current job which has come with its fair amount of unpleasant encounters with male hourly staff

CONS:

- I'd be tossing away the security of a full time job for a two week long adventure

- I'd be tossing away my first "real job" 

- On paper this just seems like a really dumb idea

- No one in my family will approve of this choice

- I'd be cutting myself off from the music scene I'm starting to become part of by working at such a new venue

- I'd also be cutting myself off from potential other tour managers here who might have better opportunities later on

- There's a good chance I'll be jobless for several weeks (if not a few months) following this tour

So.... what do y'all think I should do? 

Hi Turtle...  lookit, these days yah gotta have a steady job, and steady good jobs with benefits are getting harder and harder to come by.

Just Somebody

Dude, only you know what's better for you, no matter what we say.

I don't know what to say, some people follow their emotions and let their "hearts guide them" when rationality fails to find a solution.

Just Somebody
Just now, Just Somebody said:

Dude, only you know what's better for you, no matter what we say.

I don't know what to say, some people follow their emotions and let their "hearts guide them" when rationality fails to find a solution.

Anyway .... no matter what you choose either,  all choices are valid even not choosing. .. so no need to blame your past self for bad choices, there's always hope.

Would your employer potentially allow you to take 2 weeks off (vacation) to allow you to do this? or take it unpaid knowing that you are coming back after the 2 weeks?

Can you sell it as being a good experience which will benefit you in your career with your current employer afterwards? - e.g. It will upskill you at no cost to them

good luck in your decision

Galactic Turtle
1 hour ago, AndrewT said:

Would your employer potentially allow you to take 2 weeks off (vacation) to allow you to do this? or take it unpaid knowing that you are coming back after the 2 weeks?

Can you sell it as being a good experience which will benefit you in your career with your current employer afterwards? - e.g. It will upskill you at no cost to them

good luck in your decision

I asked that today and my boss says it's highly unlikely that will be allowed. The thing is I wasn't planning on sticking with my current job past December anyway. I was just planning on leaving for something a bit more solid than a two week stint. I'd still have from now until October to find something for November but... it's risky.

Could the person, who made you the offer, tell you how this gig could offer the benefits you have with your current job?  Is there any negotiating you can do?  Or do they actually know what you would be giving up?

1 hour ago, Galactic Turtle said:

I'd also be cutting myself off from potential other tour managers here who might have better opportunities later on

So you would eventually leave this current job anyway?

Lucinda

WinterWanderer

I'm probably a bit biased because I followed my heart when it came to my career choices, and it got me nowhere. I think sticking with your current job is the best option, since it'll give you stability at least through December. You'll have a little more time to save money and find other gigs that interest you.

But of course, you have a better gauge of what your field is like, and how often those gigs arise. If it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, I'd probably be somewhat more likely to consider it. But if you can find a similar gig in 6 months or so, maybe it's not worth quitting your job to pursue.

I don't know, there are a lot of factors to consider.

Diamond Ace of Hearts

The way you write about it, taking the new offer sounds better to me. There are two possible reasons for that. 1, it is the better option or 2, it's the option you want to take, deep down. Either way, go for it. It's a risk but the potential rewards look to be between good and fantastic. Also you can lower the risk by buildng up a little in savings between now and then and finding other jobs for afterwards.

Archived