Paper plates/bowls

Grumpy Alien

Paper plates and bowls  

68 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on paper plates/bowls?

• I'm from North America and financially well off and I love them!
    • I'm from North America and financially well off and I am indifferent.
    • I'm from North America and financially well off and I hate them!
    • I'm from North America and financially struggling and I love them!
    • I'm from North America and financially struggling and I am indifferent.
    • I'm from North America and financially struggling and I hate them!
    • I'm not from North America and am financially well off and I love them!
    • I'm not from North America and am financially well off and I am indifferent.
    • I'm not from North America and am financially well off and I hate them!
    • I'm not from North America and am financially struggling and I love them!
    • I'm not from North America and am financially struggling and I am indifferent.
    • I'm not from North America and am financially struggling and I hate them!
    • Other (please comment)

This poll is closed to new votes

Grumpy Alien

Ongoing argument between me and my British partner. Everyone I know in America uses them frequently and loves them. Everyone I know in the UK thinks that's bizarre and hates them. Tell me your thoughts and where you're from.

WinterWanderer

I'm from North America and financially struggling. I don't like using paper plates/bowls, because it's a waste of money and a waste of natural resources. But I know people who do use them regularly and like them.

@okir fokir You didn't include options for not being from North America and being financially struggling.

I'm from North America and have no financial problems and am indifferent.

Grumpy Alien
4 minutes ago, TheAP said:

@okir fokir You didn't include options for not being from North America and being financially struggling.

I'm from North America and have no financial problems and am indifferent.

I realized that and edited it a few minutes ago. 

RoseGoesToYale

I think I'd dislike them no matter what. More often than not they're disposed of improperly and are wasteful. Heck, I could get a whole set of china from Goodwill for $20 (or even less), about the cost of 600 paper plates. Assuming three meals a day, the china would pay for itself in 10 months, and could possibly last 50 years more. If you buy those paper plates every 10 months for $20 a pop, in 50 years that's $1000!

I'm trying to be more and more zero waste in my life, and I hate using things just once and then throwing them away. Bothers me to no end.

I don't mind when a friend uses them at a party or something- after all, I'm there to party!- but I try to avoid using single-use anything in my everyday life. And they're better than plastic or styrofoam ones.

Anthracite_Impreza

I hate them, single use and incredibly wasteful. Personally I'd ban them.

everywhere and nowhere

I'm not from North America, financially struggling and I'm indifferent to paper plates. I mean - there are situations where they are useful, such as picnics and other meetings not at someone's home. But you mean people use them at home? Now that's just stupid. Waste money and resources only for not having to wash a plate?

I completely don't care about washing plates because they take up the least space on a dryer. Pots and bowls, for example, are much more bulky and thus more inconvenient.

I am lazy and use the cheapo generic store brand ones, but mostly only with stuff that doesn't make a mess of them so I reuse them multiple times before tossing them out. I also use them as covers for things that tend to splatter in the microwave, and those I do throw out afterwards. I prefer more durable plates for other meals/foods.

Is this another thing, like plastic shopping bags, plastic straws, etc., that is (becoming) a "virtue" thing? (In other words, people who use this thing are bad and people who don't are virtuous and get to look down their noses at the bad/misguided people?)

I voted other

I'm not from north america and I don't use paper plates or bowls.

I wouldn't classify myself as either well off or struggling, I get by financially speaking

I'm not from North America. I find it very strange that there are people who use them all the time, to be honest! They're only used for parties here. 

I wouldn't say that I hate paper plates, I can definitely see why people would use them, but the environmental impact does concern me. I don't use them myself. 

I have 3 things to say:

1. If you are trying to avoid using loads of cleaning products, disposable paper products can greatly reduce how much soap and bleach you use.

2. If you are disabled, then you are probably very reliant on disposable products such as paper plates.

3. Contrary to what many people believe, using paper products are NOT particularly bad for the environment because:

A. they are biodegradable (unless they are coated in some way that inhibits biodegradability but i avoid these products because they are usually more expensive anyway); 

B. Nearly all paper produced in the world come from tree farms. Tree farms were started so that the construction and paper industries could have straighter trees which are ideal for paper products and construction lumber. This is important to understand because we do not cut down existing forests anymore (at least not for lumber and paper) and the way trees are harvested can actually help the environment (well sort of):

A tree absorbs the most carbon dioxide in the first few years of its life and once it reaches a certain height (different for each species of tree) it absorbs very little carbon dioxide. By growing new trees, then cutting them down, and growing more trees in the same spot you actually remove more carbon dioxide than if you just let the trees sit their forever. Note that this unfortunately does not result in a net reduction on global carbon dioxide, because depending on how the trees are harvested and processed you often only result in a zero gain of carbon dioxide. But the point is that it is not harmful to use paper products. 

European, financially independent, and not a fan, but with a couple of caveats. If its something like a children's party, or picnic, they are safer, or if the need for more plates is a rarity they may be cheaper than buying China and only using it once a year 

helana12_03

I love them and I would use them if I could afford it, but paper plates/bowls are too expensive :( (I hate washing dishes)

Luftschlosseule

Europe, financially struggling and not really seeing what my money has got to do with that? I like disposable plates for parties, once-in-a-while events, but am ... dunno, confused because why would you use them in your everyday life if you're able-bodied?

Even if it is only paper, you're not able to put it with the paper recycling because of the grease and other leavings from the food. That's why you're not allowed to put pizza cartons in the paper trash, same reason. But then, sorting your trash is not an option, it's obligatory here, and you're told via PR if you're doing it right, and everybody urges you to be careful with your resources.

I am rying to reduce the amount of trash I produce, and trained myself to wash dishes immediately so nothing has time to try and is clean in a sec. It doesn't always work, curtesy of my depression, yes. But it mostly does.

Grumpy Alien
5 hours ago, Luftschlosseule said:

Europe, financially struggling and not really seeing what my money has got to do with that?

I included that because the British people in the debate thought it was beneath them and must be something poor people use. Yet my American friends that are lesser off are the ones who love them but can’t always use them because of cost while the better off financially use them all the time.

I'm from the US, financially...I wouldn't quite say struggling, but technically I live below the poverty line based on income, and I like them. I work two jobs, and have very little time to cook for myself, let alone to wash all the dishes, so they are very convenient for me. I don't use them all the time, but usually a few times a week. Who wants to worry about cooking and washing dishes when they get home from work at midnight, and when they have to get up for work again at 7 the next morning? I also don't own a proper dish/kitchenware set, nor can afford one. I agree with those who say they're not as bad for the environment as some people like to think. Plastic and styrofoam are obviously a different story, so I don't use them, but paper products are generally okay. 

I'm from the US, not technically poor but wouldn't call myself 'well off' either.  We use paper plates at parties of course.  But I also use them sometimes, maybe twice a week - just to microwave a quick meal -I don't want to dirty a plate for one small thing (reheating a portion of leftovers, etc).  I live alone, so making one standard meal can actually be four small meals for me and reheating the entire dish over and over makes it taste crappy  LOL  

I recycle them if they are not too soiled -- I have used them as firestarters in the fireplace in the winter -- and some I've had to just throw away.  (and the fireplace...I am surrounded by woods - I take from 'downed' trees as much as possible)

Just living, in general, we have an impact on the environment & my paper plate usage is the least of my worries.  Not saying world-wide usage isn't important/concerning - but plastics and styrofoam are much more of a problem (not to mention all the poisons/pesticides/GMO b.s./CO2/etc). 

(ps. I don't use styrofoam and recycle plastics ... I try to do whatever little bit I can, anyway  :)  )

I'm from North America and financially well off(I guess, I don't make that much money but I'm still good at saving money and living within my means), and I'm indifferent to them. I don't use them in my house, but we have some at my work that I use to heat up my lunch, and I'll sometimes use them if I'm at other people's houses.

At work I kept a regular plate and bowl and cup and metal fork and spoon in my desk, which I used if I had lunch at work (which wasn't often) or for occasional work parties or cake.

As for environmental impact, I wonder which is worse, using a single paper plate or running hot water and soap to wash a single non-paper plate, for example? Let's assume it's the kind of food that means the paper plate needs to be tossed afterwards, or means the non-paper plate needs a bit of scrubbing. I am asking out of real curiosity, not to point fingers or anything. Sometimes we jump on things that seem obvious, but maybe if we look deeper the obvious isn't quite the case (or maybe it is). :) 

Do any of you use paper towels, paper napkins, plastic or paper drinking straws, etc., at home? Do you use cloth handkerchiefs or other reusable products instead of disposable paper or plastic products?

I’m from the UK and I don’t think they’re weird at all. They’re great for fast food, and for if you’re having the kitchen done up. Plus the plates burn really nicely too. :) 

Grumpy Alien
46 minutes ago, daveb said:

Do any of you use paper towels, paper napkins, plastic or paper drinking straws, etc., at home? Do you use cloth handkerchiefs or other reusable products instead of disposable paper or plastic products?

Yes, all of the above. I’ve never even heard of using a cloth napkin at home... I don’t even like those at restaurants to be perfectly honest. They don’t absorb well and you have to scrunch it a certain way to not wipe your hands or mouth with the same bit you just used and is now covered in food. I’ve always used paper towels and napkins when I eat. I found that not many people I know personally in the UK do but they don’t have anything reusable. They just... eat super carefully and end up licking their fingers or wiping it on their jeans or going to wash their hands after eating.

From North America financially meh. I love them when they are used in situations where it it is beneficial. They are great for use at work for potlucks. They are great for parties especially at like parks or picnics. They are really beneficial when in a major water shortage or drought. Toxic spills in the water supply? they are a godsend. I also try to reuse them when possible

Grumpy Alien
2 minutes ago, CBC said:

You know, until coming across this thread, I don't think it ever even dawned on me that people would use paper plates at home every day (i.e., not for gatherings, parties, picnics, etc.). Reminds me of how I felt as a kid when I learnt that some people put sugar on their cereal (like, stuff that isn't crazy sugary already). It's kind of like... if someone said they cooked their lettuce before eating it... or when they got dressed in the morning, the first thing they put on was their shoes. 🤷🏼‍♀️

That’s how both sides feel in the RL debate. There’s lots of these debates where something never dawned on me or my American posse as a possibility and the British side feels the same way in reverse. It’s a bizarre feeling to think something you’ve never questioned is seen as weird.

On 7/21/2018 at 10:17 AM, okir fokir said:

I included that because the British people in the debate thought it was beneath them and must be something poor people use. Yet my American friends that are lesser off are the ones who love them but can’t always use them because of cost while the better off financially use them all the time.

A few years ago, there was a deal on Amazon where i bought 1000 paper plates $12.99. I bought 10 cases of them. I just looked to see if they were still out there but i cant find the deal. But if i see the deal again i'll post it on this thread. I still several thousands left :). 

I don't like paper plates and cups because they tend to bend and spill your food.

Plastic utensils are just as bad, plus they aren't biodegradable.

As a side note, I use cloth napkins at home. They look classy, and they save money in the long run.

I'm from not the US (though I was born there and lived there for my first decade) and don't need to worry about money, I don't hate them, but I'm not indifferent to them either, I prefer real/washable plates, because they are less wasteful 

• 4 weeks later...

I would say that paper plates and bowls could be justified as more practical in certain circumstances, such as at parties. Otherwise, sheer laziness isn't a sufficient reason for wasting resources.

I'm American, we mostly use them for get togethers, like the 4th of July or BBQs, or sometimes at theme parks...

LadyWallflower

I don't live in North America at the moment,  but I lived there for awhile, and I didn't know anyone who used them? They seemed to be only for a big party thing. I personally don't like them and think they are a waste.

I don't know how to vote on the poll. Because I'm not well off, but I don't consider myself to be struggling.

Archived