I Suppose I'll Say Hi...

rbex

Hello! I'm Rebecca! 

I finally made an account here almost a month ago, but just haven't introduced myself yet. But the time has come, I suppose...

I found out I was asexual a little over three (?) years ago. I was just galavanting across the wondrous and terrifying place that is the internet, when I came across a buzzfeed article list thing about asexuals. Ignorant and intrigued, I clicked the link and found myself relating to all of the memes and tumblr text post screenshots the list had to offer. My obvious follow up question was, "Am I asexual?!" I zoomed on over to a new tab and began researching everything I could about asexuality (this website being one of the first things I clicked on). It was such an eye opening experience to realise that asexuals were a thing, and I was definitely one of them. Everything made so much more sense. Following that, I discovered that sexual and romantic attraction were different things. For a long time, I thought I was aromantic, but boy was I wrong. (I'm aggressively romantic.) 

As far as being out is concerned, I'm not really "out" to my family. I think my sister asked me if I was asexual once, and I said yes, and that was it. I briefly mentioned it to my dad once. And I've never spoken to my mom about it. I'm not close with my family at all, so I guess it just doesn't really matter to me if they know or not. My friends are all aware of my asexuality, but we never talk about it because they're all pretty "conservative white Christian" kind of people about the LGBT+ community. I do have one friend who is bi, so he and I connect on that level. And I do have a woke best friend who is super duper supportive of me, and I appreciate him more than he knows. He himself is on the ace spectrum, so that's pretty cool. We get to squee over being ace together.

I've had a couple interactions with people who have tried to prove me wrong about my asexuality or just didn't understand that sexual and romantic attraction are different or just don't get it no matter how many different ways I tried to explain it. So that's been a frickin' delight (sarcasm, sarcasm). But on the plus side, I made a speech about asexuality my freshman year of college, and that's how I helped a girl realise she was asexual. Yay! Awareness! 

Anyways, this is a lot of unnecessary information and such. I don't blame you if you didn't read it all. I would've been done reading after the first couple sentences myself, to be completely honest. So here's some random facts about me outside of asexuality: 

• I have one cat named Ren (as this is the most important fact about me, this is listed first)
  • I am 21 years old and would like to fling myself into the void due to the uncertainty of the future
  • I'm wildly introverted and as aforementioned, aggressively romantic
  • I really am not a very interesting person apparently because I can't think of any more facts

If you wanna get to know me more or just chat or send me pictures of cats, please shoot me a message. I love meeting people over the interwebs! 

Welcome! What kind of cat is Ren? :) 

csc_8469.jpg

ôÿē èîęēú ïė ēôēįîûôø

@rbex Hello! Welcome to heAVEN! There's an infinite amount of 🍰 here, so take as much as you want!

4 hours ago, rbex said:

I was just galavanting across the wondrous and terrifying place that is the internet, when I came across a buzzfeed article list thing about asexuals. Ignorant and intrigued, I clicked the link and found myself relating to all of the memes and tumblr text post screenshots the list had to offer. My obvious follow up question was, "Am I asexual?!" I zoomed on over to a new tab and began researching everything I could about asexuality (this website being one of the first things I clicked on). It was such an eye opening experience to realise that asexuals were a thing, and I was definitely one of them. Everything made so much more sense.

What an educational experience! I'm happy for you!

Spaceunicorn

@rbex welcome I'm spaceunicorn I'm still a newbie at being asexual but i started not liking sex 10 years ago but i just thought that i just didn't want to be with my boyfriend at the time anymore so we broke up and then after that i started dating and i noticed that guys were just looking at me like a beautiful girl to have sex with and then i thought i had found a respectable guy to get into a relationship with so we got into a relationship and he ended up being a jerk. He ended up being like all the other guys i dated in my past which were the type that used me for my money and never bought me any gifts on holidays eventhough it doesn't matter. And when he wanted to have sex i would say that i didn't want to. Then he would get mad and think i was having sex with someone else. So then i decided to just have sex with him instead of telling him i don't want to just so he wouldn't think i was cheating on him. But then finally i got tired of having sex to make him happy so i ended that relationship too. And for the past 5 years i've been happy and not wanting to be in anymore relationships and not wanting sex. And i finally found out about asexuals a month ago when my friend came out to me that she is asexual and when she told me i asked her what it is and then she told me what it was and what the signs were and that's when i realized that i am asexual but when i joined here i was still a little confused on what exactly it was so i asked around in here more about it and then found out that i am asexual neutral because i would still like to be in a relationship but only one without sex.

NickyTannock

@rbex Welcome to AVEN!

And yes I did read it all.

I'd be interested in reading that speech.

10.jpg

@rbex Welcome to AVEN Rebecca! Asexuality isn't really "out there" enough for tons of people to know exactly what it is and what it's not. It's sad, but it's so nice to see that you did a speech on it! #represent

I am just like you. Hella ace, but hella romantic xD Also a huge introvert! 

It's nice to meet you! 

@Lichley Thank you! I'm not entirely certain of her breed, but she is marked calico. Apparently those are notoriously moody cats? Wish I knew that before I got her. But I love her to death, so it's all good. <3 

@The Angel of Eternity Thanks! I will eat all of the cake... 

@Spaceunicorn What an experience! I'm in the same boat as you. I'd love to be in a relationship but without the sex. 

@MichaelTannock Thank you! And I'll be honest, I don't know if I even have the speech anymore. College was a less than pleasant experience for me, so I don't think I even have a copy of it anywhere. 

@Espadoodle Haha! I like you already. ;) It's very nice to meet you as well. 

Hi and welcome :D

It appears that I'm late to the party but... thanks for joining and sharing your story! I'm not really sure whether I want to find out what "aggressively romantic" means :lol: A lot of people on here will be able to relate to your thoughts and feelings - many of us know the struggles of trying to explain, combined with other people's efforts to prove you wrong. Actually, there's a whole thread about those moments we all can relate to. Oh and did I mention that there's a cat thread? Feel free to share pics of Ren :D as there can never be enough fur on here!

I hope you'll enjoy your time on here :) Have some cake:

3a5a847f94d8a7aba721b21fd46a535ffea04144

Anthracite_Impreza
On 7/16/2018 at 2:49 AM, rbex said:

I really am not a very interesting person apparently because I can't think of any more facts

That made me lol xD

Welcome :)

@Homer You had me at "cat thread"!! But also thank you for the welcome and especially the cake haha. 

@Anthracite_Impreza I'm glad I got a chuckle from someone here hehe. Thank you. :)

Welcome Rebecca. :cake: I'm glad you joined. There's lots of cats hanging around here. I find there are many days flinging myself into the void seems like an appropriate response to many things

Hi! Welcome to AVEN, the safe haven for all aces alike to talk! 🍰

Archived