How do you view your identity?

Hi im fresh to website by a hour so i thought id start with a question. How do you view your your sexuality?

It took me a very long time to find out about myself, im asexual and aromantic. Todd coming out in Bojack opened my eyes and i was able to piece it together. Thanks to my very supportive friends i have been really able to express how i feel in a way that feels tangible and real. Especially after my local pride, dressed in the colors i was able to be fully confident and really happy with it. I even say 5 other flags which really was awesome to see. All in all im really proud with my identity, and i hope others feel the same.

• Like 3

I don't care about "labels" and "identities". Sex and/or romance play such a tiny role in my life that it's not worth basing some "identity" on it. I don't care about sex and romance is some weird shit :D and that's all I need to know.

• Like 1
Andromeda44

I view being an asexual transgirl as two precious gifts life gave me. I've never always been my biggest fan and it hasn't been an easy life but I can honestly say I've never been ashamed. I also don't hide from labels or let them control who I am. I simply do what I feel is right and people are inspired by it and it changes so many negative perspectives. 

• Like 2

At this point in my life, as I'm learning more about myself and I'm not presenting myself as I feel, I think my identities, particularly my identity as an asexual (and ESPECIALLY the identities I'm questioning), are rather important to me. I feel like once I get a decent idea of what has me feel empowered, I'll feel like I can breathe some more, but right now, it's difficult trying to compartmentalize things so I can understand them, and at the same time, that's not the goal. I don't know if I want to make sense to others, but I want to portray myself in a way that feels authentic, and in the real world, I don't know that I'm necessarily doing that right now. So identities, in short, are important to me at this point in my life. And I know that's subject to change.

• Like 2
Member131995
25 minutes ago, Beaurl said:

Todd coming out in Bojack opened my eyes

Okay, I just want to say,, I flipping love BJ HM and I resonated so much with Todd when he came out. So there's that.

As for how I view my identity, I suppose I feel happy with it but maybe not proud. I'm working on that, it's hard coming from an ultra-conservative, uber Christian, strict no pants/jewelry/makeup for girls, homeschooling background but I'm getting there. I guess, my hope is that one day I will finally get to the place where I don't care about what others think about my identity. Right now, I've let the opinions of my parents cause me to try to hide my identity and not revel in it and not be proud. Baby steps though, I'm not on the negative end anymore but still a ways to go to reach the positive end.

• Like 1
Guest Deus Ex Infinity

I identify as demigreysexual / homoflexible. It took a while to figure but it feels good to have a matching label at last. 

It might not be necessary but everyone should have the right to use labels if wanted. 

I've never cared to name it or pay it much mind. I'm an evolving bundle of something. I've gone through so many stages in the last few years it's almost pointless to try and classify myself. For the time being a fall into the asexual ballpark, but that's about it.

• Like 1

I gave up on having a sexual identity label when I discovered I'm not actually ace, but hetero/homo/bi/pansexual don't fit me either (fictosexual would be closest to what I am probably? Haha). I just say I'm happily celibate and that's all that really needs be said. I'm fine with that :)

ôÿē èîęēú ïė ēôēįîûôø

@Beaurl Hi! Welcome to heAVEN! Have some :cake:! I'm also a proud ace/aro!

I'm pretty okay with my asexuality & aromanticism. I think I will just get more proud each day but idk if I'll ever get to the point where I will shout it from the rooftops but I'll stand tall in a parade every now and then & you'll always see me with my black ring on. I may not be loud and proud but I won't be afraid to admit it if someone asks me about it. 

• Like 1

I'm okay with my asexuality and potential demiromanticism. It took a while and a lot of freaking out, but eventually I ran out of things to freak out about with my sexuality and decided to freak out about applying to colleges instead. I also am/was in a friend group with a lot of variation in sexuality and gender so my friends were completely accepting. My boyfriend was also really good with it which helped a lot. My family didn't really understand, but I figure that's okay. If it comes up I'm incredibly open about it but it's not on the list of "super important things people must know about me". I don't have a ring yet, but I really want to get one. It's my incentive to do well in my classes next semester.

5 hours ago, Beaurl said:

Honestly Homer i agree, now that i accepted it i could not care less. Mabye identity was the wrong word, rip.

To me it's about the actual impact something has on my life. My hometown, my job or the football club I support are way more important when it comes to the question "Who is Homer?"

Panromantic demi-pansexual, or perhaps just pansexual. I'm still working that out. ;)

I'm very much accepting of the possibility that I'm wrong about all my labels entirely, so the chances of them changing is....probable.

Big ol queer guy. I identify as a demiboy gender-wise and a queer asexual kid sexuality wise. I don't like referring to myself as straight or as gynoromantic even if people see me as that. I don't really bring up my labels too much tho unless someone asks or if I'm being misgendered/put in a situation that I'm not comfortable in (sexual jokes that some friends make about me).

Anthracite_Impreza

Ace, agender, mechabromantic. I don't think we have a flag yet ;)

I’ve identified as Ace for a few years after a webcomic character talked about it, but just recently told people about it and joined AVEN. I always figured that if people cared they would ask- but at this years pride I wore a small pin and felt good about it. I started by telling my best friend who was extremely supportive ( she actually went home and researched it to make sure she used the correct terms and didn’t say the wrong thing). I lucked out with very good friends.

I like the term, and it feels right to say “I’m ace”. I actually want to get a ring, and had a cheap one that I wear on vacation. I would like a nice one though, maybe I could wear it in normal daily life and meet other aces! 

my current issue is to figure out how to approach the topic. What do I say: FYI I’m asexual? Wear a t shirt? 

• Like 1

I consider myself aro ace but it would be more accurate to say that I’m romance and sex indifferent. Neither really interest me, but I’d potentially consider trying a relationship if that’s what a really close friend wanted. I’m also a rather cynical person too so I don’t have a really rosy view of things either which sorta reinforces my detachment. 

An_Ace_Of_Hearts

Let's see...

I don't think I've been here too long, and I'm still sorta trying to figure myself out. I've recently just stopped using labels to identify myself when the question is brought up irl just to cut down on the confused and funny looks I get, but saying it here wouldn't be a problem.

Though I'm still trying to figure all this out, I know that I'm heteromantic ace. When I first found out about it, I felt like I'd finally found a part myself ^_^

One day I was kinda bored and curious so I decided to explore the LGBT+ spectrum (I wasn't exactly familiar with many orientations at the time). I came across asexuality and thought "Hey, that sounds like how I feel .-." and instantly wanted to know more and dig deeper.

As of now, I'm still pondering over whether I should use labels at all. My thoughts are,

Labels or not, I'm still me and I'm proud of it.

• Like 1
Galactic Turtle

I'm aro ace. In terms of lifestyle, I'm celibate. It doesn't play a role in my day to day life though at home I do run into some ideological differences. All in all it's cool I suppose to know these words are available to me, but I rep my various fandoms/sports teams rather than... idk... pride flags.