Asexual Books and Authors?

ciarashakalaka

ciarashakalaka

So! So far i've only found one author who includes asexual characters in relationships and I'm looking for more books similar to his stuff.

Tj.Klune anyone?? Legit without his books it would have taken me a lot longer figuring out who i was and that it was okay to be ace. I really just made this topic so I can talk about his books tbh cause no one else I know have read them. So Lemme know if you know anything i could look up or read, or if you've read his books too! The more Ace positive exposure that i can get my hands on the better.

Member131995

I just joined this website although I've been reading off it for quite a while now. I honestly had no idea there even was an author who included asexual characters so now, I'm going to go check him out!

ciarashakalaka

@Nancy Esther   Sweet! he has one full novel involving an ace homoromantic relationship called "How to be a Normal Person" its pretty funny and also hits you in the feels.  In his other books he includes ace characters but the story lines are definitely not sex-repulsive.

Member131995

@ciarashakalaka That's great! I'm going to see if I can buy a copy on Amazon. I'm always looking for good novels! I did go to his Amazon page, he has a ton of books on there! Wow!

I had no idea there was an actual published ace author. I tend to get all my LGBT+ works through fanfiction, including asexual stuff. 

I have heard the book Every Heart A Doorway  by Seanan McGuire mentions sexuality. I have not read the book myself but it is on my list of books to get and read.

Theatre by Somerset Maugham

One of the characters perfectly fits the definition of "asexual" imo

bring_back_eiffel_65

I'm so excited, I hadn't heard of TJ Klune!

Goodreads has a few good lists involving asexual/aromatic characters that show up in the search function. I can't speak to what is good and what isn't as I'm making my way through the list myself. 

Although it isn't strictly book format, Under The Aegis is a web comic with - not one, but two!! - ace/aro characters (unfortunately not directly called out in the comic, but confirmed by author), if that's of any interest.

Chamomile_Serenity

Hmmm I never thought to write about specifically Ace characters or to look for them but I will now. Down the line plans!

AceTheDragon

Six of Crows has an ace character. It's not said out right but it's definitely there. Also pretty much all the characters are lgbtq.

nanogretchen4

The Ancillary trilogy by Ann Leckie has an asexual protagonist. The protagonist lives in a genderless society that uses she pronouns for everyone, and her physical sex is never revealed.

The Innsmouth series by Ruthanna Emrys also has an asexual protagonist, although as of the second book the character hasn't figured that out yet. The author promised in an interview that it will be officially addressed in the books once the character is a little further along in her coming our journey.

Guest Falco Peregrinus

@AceTheDragon Six of Crows is probably one of my faves of all time! It's sooooo good!

I read it a long time ago tho... before I found out I was ace lol

I'm curious which character you're referring to? Kaz?

For the rest of you tho, great duology. It's well worth the read.

nanogretchen4

The Thessaly trilogy by Jo Walton is about an experiment in creating a society based on Plato's Republic. The goddess Athena is a major character, and she seems to be asexual but not aromantic. In addition the cultural ideal is sex at rare intervals for procreation and celibate partnerships based on agape. Most of the characters are not asexual, but modern ideas about sex and marriage are definitely questioned and sex seems less central.

AceTheDragon

Falco Peregrinus, yes, Kaz is the ace! You do get most of his ace background in the second book tho.

@AceTheDragon  I personally kind of feel like Kaz is gray-ace or demi, similar to how I think Inej might be, but either way that book is one of my all time favourites (the second one is even better!)

Also, Let's Talk About Love by Claire Kann is a romance story with an ace main character.  It's great for all kinds of representation but the plot itself is kinda boring.  Overall an enjoyable, easy read though.  

I’m a little familiar with TJ Klune from his book “Wolfsong”

I loved the way he writes, it made it so easy to imagine everything in my head and his characters were wonderful. I heard he had a book with an ace character but I never got around to reading it!

One of my current favorite books that also happens to have an ace character is “Vicious” by V.E. Schwab.

It’s a fun action filled book about college roommates who get too deep into their research of people with extraordinary abilities, and the aftermath that ensues after their experimenting goes wrong. 

I didn’t know the character was ace when I read it, but the author said it’ll definitely be canon in the sequel “Vengeful”

I’m really excited for it to come out in September.  

My favourite book (except for Harry Potter), is Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire, and the main character is asexual!

Also, Less Than Three Press publishes a lot of books about asexual characters, which you can find here: https://www.lessthanthreepress.com/books/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=124

I recommend Any Way The Wind Blows by Carlin Grant, which can be found on the website for only two dollars.

Archived