Does frozen yogurt belong in the ice cream community?

Snao Cone

I've been talking to some people lately about shamelessly eating ice cream straight from the container, but I feel somewhat guilty for misrepresenting the cause. What I have in my freezer right now - and what I ate for lunch (don't judge me) - is in fact frozen Greek yogurt.

So, then, is it wrong for me to refer to it casually as ice cream? Is it wrong for it to be sold in the ice cream aisle? 

Frozen Greek Yogurt is on the ice cream spectrum, but it's really just a fancy name for a specific type of frozen yogurt. So, It's under the Frozen Yogurt Umbrella but most people would just call it Frozen Yogurt.

Ice Cream is defined as 

"a soft, sweet frozen food made with milk and cream and typically flavoured with vanilla, fruit, or other ingredients."

Greek Yogurt is traditionally made from both milk and cream, and many flavours of Frozen Yogurt are flavoured (i'm partial to strawberry). So by all standards, it is an ice cream, and can be referred to as such.

tumblr_inline_p1brmcd9Dk1rr08jv_500.jpg

Some further questions:

Milkshakes - also cold, flavoured, and milk based, but less solid in texture consumed via straw rather than spoon. Does this fall somewhere on the ice cream spectrum? 

Gelato - not made with cream, milk, or yogurt, but made with eggs and sometimes butter. 

Sorbet - frozen flavoured snack but not always containing any dairy. 

I think most people would agree these can be stocked in the ice cream aisle, but does that make them a type of ice cream, or something we can call ice cream as shorthand terminology? Or do we need to go by more formal labels? I think this is becoming increasingly relevant in a political climate where many snack foods are adopting labels to make them seem like something they're not. Take, for example, Pringles not being potato chips, or the various impostor cheese substitutes. Is it misrepresentation to call all sweet frozen snacks with a creamy texture "ice cream"? 

Seems close enough to ice cream to me. Culinary nerds would probably dispute that based on things like ice cream needing to have a specific minimum milk fat percentage (the lower fat stuff is technically ice milk) and ice cream not being made from cultured dairy as yogurt is, but tbh it seems ice creamy enough to me.

I'll have to ask Zoids if that's blasphemy since he owns the Menchie's in our city. Fun fact: we're not allowed to refer to it colloquially as "froyo" at Menchie's, because some other company owns the rights to that word and could sue if they wanted to. 😂

4 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:

I think most people would agree these can be stocked in the ice cream aisle, but does that make them a type of ice cream, or something we can call ice cream as shorthand terminology? Or do we need to go by more formal labels?

I see "frozen desserts" as a general term in use on signs in grocery stores. 🤷🏼‍♀️

It better be. Frozen Kefir is love.

13 minutes ago, CBC said:

I see "frozen desserts" as a general term in use on signs in grocery stores. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Political correctness gone mad! 

RoseGoesToYale

To be overly technical... no, frozen yogurt is not ice cream. It may contain ice, but it does not contain cream. It's base is yogurt and milk, and exhibits qualities different from ice cream.

To be underly technical... all frozen desserts are created equal! I propose we call them all blizz-erts!

17 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:

Some further questions:

Milkshakes - also cold, flavoured, and milk based, but less solid in texture consumed via straw rather than spoon. Does this fall somewhere on the ice cream spectrum? 

Gelato - not made with cream, milk, or yogurt, but made with eggs and sometimes butter. 

Sorbet - frozen flavoured snack but not always containing any dairy. 

I think most people would agree these can be stocked in the ice cream aisle, but does that make them a type of ice cream, or something we can call ice cream as shorthand terminology? Or do we need to go by more formal labels? I think this is becoming increasingly relevant in a political climate where many snack foods are adopting labels to make them seem like something they're not. Take, for example, Pringles not being potato chips, or the various impostor cheese substitutes. Is it misrepresentation to call all sweet frozen snacks with a creamy texture "ice cream"? 

I don't usually consider frozen yogurt ice cream-- I'd just call it yogurt. (Funny though, I'm 90% sure that here the frozen yogurt or yogurt in general is not sold by the ice cream!)

Milkshakes-- yes.

Sorbet- yes (I think it gets past because it's often sold at ice cream locations).

Gelato--- sort of? I think of it as an ice cream type but it's usually distinctive enough to get to keep it's own name since we'd actually say, "I want some gelato".

But I'm a heathen who doesn't like ice cream much and likes those alternatives. XD

Ice creams are safe. Cheese substitutes can start riots. :P Only real cheese can be cheese.

Controversial opinion: I don't care.

Sorbet OTOH, being a part of the waste umbrella, belongs to the trashcan community.

I mean when I did the whole home made ice cream thing I never used cream I just used milk. So same thing in my book, just different ingredients for different flavors. Also through a whole in this argument what about Popsicle that use cream or milk in them?? Would that be technically ice cream as long as they have milk or cream in them even if they are officially called Popsicle.

(I want to throw in like a tumblr joke somewhere saying all frozen desserts are valid or some shit, or that my profile is a frozen yogurt safe space lmao.)

There is no spectrum.  Frozen yogurt is frozen yogurt, not demi-ice cream.   Yogurt and ice cream are very different, and yogurt attempting to fit into the "normal" ice cream world by attempting a relationship with ice cream will only confuse the general public as to the definition of yogurt.   Such an attempt at a relationship will only lead to one or both partners feeling that the other has not been completely honest.   

Frozen yogurts that consider themselves ice cream are just trying to be special snowflakes (fitting, because they're frozen), and are making real ice cream look bad.

2 hours ago, Snao Cone said:

I've been talking to some people lately about shamelessly eating ice cream straight from the container, but I feel somewhat guilty for misrepresenting the cause. What I have in my freezer right now - and what I ate for lunch (don't judge me) - is in fact frozen Greek yogurt.

So, then, is it wrong for me to refer to it casually as ice cream? Is it wrong for it to be sold in the ice cream aisle? 

:) I think it's okay for you to say that. Some companies make both frozen yogurt and ice cream and grocery stores place them next to each other. I guess you could think of it as like being an overall umbrella term for LGBT+ people who might prefer to say they're a part of the LGBT+ umbrella, but want to remain closeted about their specific orientation/gender, etc. But, if someone's interested in what type of ice cream you had because they might want to try that flavor, themselves, you could answer frozen yogurt if you wanted to.

Oh, now I can finally ask, "Have you thought about changing your name to 'Snao Cream Cone,' (like a pun for 'ice cream cone') or have you already done that, before?" :);)

1 minute ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

Oh, now I can finally ask, "Have you thought about changing your name to 'Snao Cream Cone,' (like a pun for 'ice cream cone') or have you already done that, before?" :);)

Nah, snow cones are just ice shavings with flavoured syrups, so I don't want to impose on the creamy dessert community. 😛

10 minutes ago, Snao Cone said:

Nah, snow cones are just ice shavings with flavoured syrups, so I don't want to impose on the creamy dessert community. 😛

Oh. Frozen yogurt seems like a closer cousin to ice cream, though, than snow cones. So, I'd say the name's close enough.;)

Sorbet does not qualify 

Frozen yoghurt, being dairy derived falls within the spectrum. 

Milk shakes are not frozen, so are disqualified 

Gelato, being non-dairy doesn't count (but is nommy) 

18 minutes ago, Pramana said:

Canadian regulations require that ice cream is made from 100% milk and must contain at least 10% butterfat.

Of course. 

RoseGoesToYale

Wait, but what if you combine chocolate ice cream with chocolate frozen yogurt, 1:1 ratio? Would that be icegurt?

6 minutes ago, Pramana said:

"If it doesn't say ice cream on the box, then it's not ice cream."
– Chapman's ice cream commercial.
https://www.chapmans.ca/AboutUs/Dairy-vs-oil

Well, I guess Chapman's, the Ice Cream Gods, have spoken. You'll need to hide, now, Snao Cone; it looks like they'll hunt you down for telling others you ate "ice cream" instead of "frozen yogurt.":P

If someone offered me ice cream but gave me frozen yoghurt instead, I'd be disappointed. If they offered ice cream but gave mre frozen custard or real Italian gelato instead I'd be very happy. :P 🍨

:) You could come to U.S., Snao Cone, where we have shops called "Rita's Italian Ice" that sell Italian ice, custard frozen yogurt, gelatos, milkshakes, cakes, everything. We don't care, here. We're not strict like Canada's ice cream shops.:P

https://www.ritasice.com/

I’ve never really noticed a difference between ice cream and frozen yogurt honestly.

Real Estate RICO

yes, very yes

If it doesn't say yer face on yer face then it's not yer face.  

There is more genuine discussion in this thread than I had anticipated. 

Archived