Does frozen yogurt belong in the ice cream community?

Snao Cone

There is more genuine discussion in this thread than I had anticipated. 

Me too. I know you like to joke around, so I kind of thought it was supposed to be just a light-hearted, joking discussion. Maybe others aren't aware of your humor.

But, anyway, back to the topic. My relatives have asked each other, "Do you want ice-cream?" when they really mean from a fast food restaurant that sells frozen yogurt/low fat ice cream, so, even though we know they're different, we're not that fussed about what someone chooses to call their frozen yogurt/ice cream, etc.

If its sweet, frozen, in the dairy isle and can be scooped and put on a cone--its ice cream to me.

I'm biased. I love gelato. I used to be an ice cream and frozen yogurt fiend, but was introduced to a gelato shop in my city (its ranked 3rd in North America), and I haven't looked back since. If I get diabetes and this is the reason--totally worth it.

The only type of ice cream that should be banned from the list, is fat free ice cream. That's like giving your child Bran flakes, with skim milk.

16 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

The only type of ice cream that should be banned from the list, is fat free ice cream. That's like giving your child Bran flakes, with skim milk.

Ah3iGUB9J9uaova2kroX2K36s7k=.gif

Hahaha. I think one of my friends gave me the unflavored ice cream, when they had me try fat free ice cream. I had to focus and concentrate, to see if I could discern the cold from any actual flavor O_o

Wintergreen sounds nice.

You know something is horrible, when you're insulted at them asking you a standard question like: "well, do you like it?"

1 hour ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

There is more genuine discussion in this thread than I had anticipated. 

Me too. I know you like to joke around, so I kind of thought it was supposed to be just a light-hearted, joking discussion. Maybe others aren't aware of your humor.

I think a lot of us are aware of Snao's humor, and some of us even enjoy it. But ice cream is serious business! :lol: 

Oh, I bought 2 cartons of ice cream today, both from a local dairy business - one is chocolate with chocolate chunks (called Udderly Chocolate); the other is vanilla with marionberry and pie crust bits (called Marionberry Pie). Marionberry pie is a big thing in these parts (Oregon/Washington). Can't wait to try the pie one, which I haven't had before. But I need to finish off the chocolate peanut butter ice cream still sitting in the freezer - which wasn't as good as I had hoped (it was a store brand ice cream).

RoseGoesToYale
37 minutes ago, daveb said:

Marionberry pie is a big thing in these parts (Oregon/Washington).

Is that what those berries are growing all over Oregon? My friend and I thought they were blackberries. I handpicked a bunch when I was there last, they are delicious!

There's a type of ice cream made in Georgia called High Road that's super good which I can get here. It's kind of expensive, so I don't get it often. Their mint chocolate chip is made with real peppermint extract, so I call it breath-mint chip. :P

Celyn: The Lutening
5 hours ago, daveb said:

And where is the love for frozen custard?

I CAME HERE TO SAY THIS

1 hour ago, RoseGoesToYale said:

Is that what those berries are growing all over Oregon? My friend and I thought they were blackberries. I handpicked a bunch when I was there last, they are delicious!

Apparently marionberry is a kind of blackberry developed by the local university. :) 

[insert crack joke]

Have you tried asking the frozen yogurt how it feeeeeeeeeels?

Duke Memphis

I say that if burritos are sandwiches, then frozen yogurt is ice cream.

53 minutes ago, Duke Memphis said:

burritos are sandwiches

I think the sandwich definition debate deserves a thread of its own. Though there is overlap - are ice cream sandwiches legitimate sandwiches? 

Duke Memphis

And cheesecake is really a pie, not a cake.

6 hours ago, Duke Memphis said:

I say that if burritos are sandwiches, then frozen yogurt is ice cream.

Burritos are not sandwiches and frozen yogurt is not ice cream. :P 

It would be like saying wasps are bees.

Duke Memphis

I say that the main difference between yogurt and ice cream is the consistency when not frozen.

Member131995

I'm going to have to agree with above. Frozen yogurt and ice cream are both amazing but have different consistencies when melted. Melted yogurt is still good. But melted ice cream makes me cry, whereas I eat ice cream after a good cry. However, I would argue that ice cream and frozen yogurt can be in the same category under: frozen treats :D because they're all yummy!

What about creamsicles? Are they demi ice cream? 

I watched a video literally this morning explaining the "minimum requirements" for something to be legally allowed to be called ice cream on store shelves, so this thread must have been fate.

divided_sky
On 7/11/2018 at 2:09 PM, > 2 said:

It better be. Frozen Kefir is love.

I never thought of that, mmm. Do you buy something already frozen or just freeze your own?

10 hours ago, divided_sky said:

I never thought of that, mmm. Do you buy something already frozen or just freeze your own?

I buy it already frozen, usually I get pomegranate flavor, yum yum.

15 minutes ago, Pramana said:

My takeaway from this thread is that I need to try frozen custard.

Definitely. I miss it.

Archived