Scars!

krystal_muzik

krystal_muzik

Let's talk about scars!

I have some scars on my stomach from ovarian cyst removal. I made a Youtube video on how I was able to greatly reduce them.

Tell us some cool scar stories!

Celyn: The Lutening

A four-stitch scar on my back to remove a dubious mole (thanks, Aussie sun), a large scar on my left knee from falling off my bike, a matching one on my right knee from an angry ram, a scratch on my right arm from my cat, one on my right wrist from an angry poodle.

Oh and a disturbing one that looks like I was stabbed through the heart, I've always had it. Can neither confirm nor deny that I was reborn a vampire.

This looks helpful. I’ve been thinking about talking to my doctor about scar removal options. Unfortunately, I have a lot of self harm scars from when I was a teenager. It was such a stupid thing to do, but I really hated myself back then. The good thing is that I got better, and now I want to help others get better, but it’d be nice if I didn’t have to spend my entire professional career in long sleeves.

I scar pretty easily, but most of my scars are from relatively minor injuries, i.e. scratches from my cat or a tree branch. The only interesting scar I have is right below my knee. I've had it for around five/six years and it's about the size of a quarter now.

tw: minor detail about my injury, nothing too graphic

Spoiler

I was hanging out with some friends after it had just rained, and I decided it would be a good idea to ride my skateboard in flip-flops. Yeahh it wasn't lol. I tripped and skid my knee and hands along the wet pavement. It tore open my jeans, scraped up my palms, and made a pretty big gash on my leg. I did everything I could to help the injury heal up, but a short while later I was riding my bike, gripped the wrong brakes (just the front), and basically did a pretty impressive front flip/crash. I tore the wound back open again, and now it's the biggest scar I have.

I mean it hurt, but I always think of my old friends when I look at it so it's kind of nostalgic.

There's a few scars on my back somewhere from some tree branches that dug in a little hard when I got thrashed by a tree. There's three gash marks on my right shoulder from a dog and several puncture marks on my left wrist(same dog). Loads of puncture marks on the underside of my feet from nails that have gone through my shoes over the years. There's a puncture mark on my left thigh from a knife. There's a lot of little scars on my back and shoulder blades and a few on my left hand from shattered windshield glass when I got mowed over by a truck. And all the other nicks and scratches on my arms come from work related cuts and scrapes.

My beautiful frowny face remains untouched, luckily.

Ah yes, also. Time for some dark humor. There's all the mental scars in my head that you can't see outwardly. We can't forget those beauties.

I don't have any cool ones really. Chicken pox scars from when I was a kid, some self harm shit on my arms and legs, a few (accidental) burns, and a scar from a tissue biopsy near my left knee.

I don’t think I scar easily. I only have one from my cat on my upper thigh. Some acne scarring (i think) on my forehead and biceps (cause i always picked/popped them). 

There was one incident I’m surprised I dont have scars from. I tripped over a curb and got pretty bad second (or third?) degree friction burns on my right knee and left elbow. Healed up fine though. I think I was in first or second grade. 

Edit: Just conferred with my mom. They were third degree friction burns 

Grossness warning

Spoiler

The pus was gross to clean out but it didn’t really hurt to my memory. I don’t remember much beyond the initial accident, cleaning the pus once or twice, and this boy offering to carry my lunchbox.

I guess I'll join in, if no one minds. Going into the exact details behind every scar on my body would make an incredibly long and boring post, and I apologize in advance if I blather on and on excessively as it is.

I was born a strange, deformed little creature with an oversized head, severe clubfoot, and the internal contents of my spinal cord protruding in a bubble from a hole in my lower spine where the backbone had not fused normally. The birth defect responsible for these malformations is called myelomeningocele, the most severe and potentially disabling of several types of spina bifida, and a majority of my scars are connected to it in some way or another.

Having a portion of the contents of one's spine exposed to the outside world is, unsurprisingly, rather disadvantageous to remaining alive. Therefore, they had to be somehow put back more or less where they belong, the details of which I actually don't really know myself. This in itself obviously would leave a considerable scar, but that was not at all the end of it. One of the complications of myelomeningocele is that the spinal cord cannot adjust to a growing body as it normally would; it remains attached to the skin, essentially immobile. Over time, as the body continues to develop and the spine lengthens, the spinal cord is pulled and stretched, and this along with a corresponding disruption of the supply of blood to the area can potentially cause further damage. If it becomes severe enough, surgical intervention is required to reverse this tethering, and how often that needs to be done varies from person to person. In my case, it was necessary many times until my physical growth had ceased. 

There is now a substantial scar where the lesion at birth used to be, made even larger by the multiple tethered cord repairs that were performed in the same location over the years. Brushing it gently produces a strange sort of sensation that is difficult to describe, becoming quite unpleasant when excessive pressure is applied to it. 

In addition to the above, there are numerous scars on my feet from clubfoot repair (if you can accurately refer to it as such; they are still little more than malformed flippers), a couple of other surgical scars on my ankles, and a huge scar running from my left knee to just below the waist, My hands and arms have several, much smaller scars from past injuries, and my chest is riddled with self-inflicted marks as a result of obsessive picking at the skin and tearing out hair. There are two massive ones on my buttocks for good measure, and the ones on my gut have a long story behind them that would drag this out even longer than it already is. 

I had older brothers with brilliant ideas. I have scars from those brilliant ideas. Once I quit listening to them the scar levels went down. It's a really bad idea to attach a bungee cord to a bike and a scooter. 

krystal_muzik
On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:27 PM, Celyn said:

A four-stitch scar on my back to remove a dubious mole (thanks, Aussie sun), a large scar on my left knee from falling off my bike, a matching one on my right knee from an angry ram, a scratch on my right arm from my cat, one on my right wrist from an angry poodle.

Oh and a disturbing one that looks like I was stabbed through the heart, I've always had it. Can neither confirm nor deny that I was reborn a vampire.

What did you do to that ram? He was pissed!

My oldest scar has, finally, faded to the point where it can't be really seen, but I can still feel it. It's just below the hairline on the right side of my forehead, and was once about the size of a quarter. It came from my little brother bashing me in the head with a dustpan when I was four years old. Twenty-four years later, I can admit that I definitely provoked him by attacking him with a broom, and probably oughtn't to have expected any restraint from a two year old.

Most of my scars are on my left leg somewhere. There's the big one on my knee at the rod insertion site, numerous little circular scars up and down the front of my left shin where the external fixator was, quite a few even smaller ones that are still visible from medical staples, two larger scars on the inside of my left ankle where screws were put in, and a small round scar on either side of my heel. All of those were from surgeries to fix a very badly broken leg (shattered ankle and seven breaks in the tibia as well as the fibula).

From the same bike accident that got my leg so badly broken, I have a small -- much faded -- scar in the heel of my right hand where some gravel got ground in.

Then there's one or two from cat scratches from back when one of my cats was very poor at claw control, and maybe still a burn mark on my right arm from touching a too-hot cookie sheet, and that does it. Nothing too interesting.

Celyn: The Lutening
2 hours ago, krystal_muzik said:

What did you do to that ram? He was pissed!

Tried to pick him up to check his...er, parts. He wasn't having any of it.

I've got lots of little scars on my body from a rough-and-tumble childhood. The largest is on my side, from a little roadrash that occurred when I lost control of my bicycle and plummeted down a dirt road at high speeds before crashing into the ditch. The smallest but oddest is a tiny mark on the first joint on my middle finger; my childhood friends and I were out on the fields under a full moon and one of our friends, who always pretended to be a werewolf, struck out with his "claws" and took out a chunk of my finger.

Childhood was a good time.

Way too many to name. The beauty of loving contact sports as well combat sports as a youth.

The worst?

Probably the scars in my throat. You read that right. By far the most stitches I have had administered to close a wound.

Jumping on a bed with a metal bristle afro comb in my mouth as a kid.

Slipped and drove the comb into my throat under the weight of my body+momentum.

Will leave gory details out, but let's just say quick acting emergency crews are to thank for me still being here.

No permanent damage to my throat or any whatsoever to my vocal chords.

I have a small white scar on my lip that I've had since childhood from Headbutting a wooden box. And then a week later when it had mostly healed I then proceeded to headbutt a metal bed frame. 

I...wasn't a smart kid?

I have a few scars on my chest. My cat scratched me pretty badly when I was about 10 and the marks are still there. I don't think I have anything else. 

To Each Their Own

~Several decades worth of self-harm scars on my arms, legs, and torso.

~Skin grafts to over %30 of my body (and then donor site scaring on the tops of both thighs).

~Decorative scaring on my hands, lower back, chest, ankle, arms.

~And last month, a car ran over both of my legs. My right leg got pretty messed up with an open fracture and required surgery to fix it. So...more scars on my legs.

The most noticeable scar I have is on my left knee and I got it from falling on my knees during a sports class in secondary school. The scar is pretty oddly shaped and since I didn't properly clean the wound back when I got it, there's still sand in it. Which means I'm partially sand now.

There are a few smaller ones too: a few cat scratch ones on my left hand, and a few self-harm ones on my thighs. Oh and the scar-ish thing on my chin that I got from bashing my chin on the floor when I was lying on the floor on my stomach and my brother was sitting on my back. It happened years ago but it's still there.

7 hours ago, Flickering said:

I...wasn't a smart kid?

I had a friend who decided to see how long he could bike with his eyes closed as a kid. Smashed into a stop sign (stitches as a permanent reminder).

I've got a hidden scar along my skull base from when I broke it via gravity at 18 months

No one actually knows exactly what I did, It just kinda happened

Anthracite_Impreza

I have many little scars, mostly from dogs (mostly my dog, when we're play-fighting), though I suppose I now have a bone scar where I broke my ankle? 😐 Scars are badges of bravery (or stupidity), I wear them with pride xD

I have two small scars, both from minor surgeries that I had to have at the end of last year:

• One is about an inch long, located on the inner side of my right wrist
  • One is a half inch to an inch long, located slightly below the break between my collar bones

I may develop temporary (or maybe they'll be permanent?) burn scars on my right hand from where I burned myself last week - we'll see what happens. This may sound weird to some, but I kinda hope they are permanent.

To Each Their Own

Ha! I forgot to mention the scars that I have from my MtA transition surgeries!

So, I have scars on my chest from having my breast (and nipples) removed. And I have various scars around my body from having other feminine features removed from my silhouette.

I have a small scar above my lip that l got after my cat bit me and several scars on my back from surgery.

I forgot, I have a faded scar under my lip from when I was trying to recreate the "Blades are for skating, It's kinda snowy" vine. Apparently it's very hard to roller blade on snow

Member131995

I have one on my forehead about an inch directly above my eyebrow that I obtained when I was about 7 or 8 from jumping about five feet from my bed to a ledge. Long story short I missed the ledge and cracked my head open!

I mean, there's some really old self harm scars on my arms..so that's fun. There's a random scar on my knee from who knows where, it just showed up one day. There's also one on my eyebrow from running into a tree with my eyes closed in preschool...

Ms. Carolynne

I have one on my left arm from my cat. My older brother was holding him (which the cat did not like) and when the cat freaked, he just tossed him at me.

I also have a couple scars on my right arm from self harm.

AwkwardAxolotl

I've got my top surgery scars (two 6-inch scars just below the pectoral muscle, and a ring of scar tissue around each nipple), a couple scars from having sketchy-looking moles removed, a scar on the back of one hand from getting the skin stuck in a door (don't ask how that happened, because I have no idea), a scar covering most of one knee from crashing my bike on gravel (stupid tourists), a scar from my brother's cat, and a handful or random small scars liberally sprinkled.

Archived