An update on the Clubs feature

Lia

Dear members,

In the last couple of weeks, Admods have tested the Clubs feature that you have all noticed become active. There were several questions we had about Clubs, specifically if it could fill a need for teams like AVENues and Answer Team. We have found that this feature does not offer anything new to these teams. In addition, we have found several, serious downsides to Clubs. Some of those concerns are the ability to exclude users and therefore create cliques among members, the ability to silently bully users who don't agree with one or a few members of the Club by removing them from the Club or denying them entry all together, and a exponential increase in moderation duties for Admods to the point where an entire new Admod team would probably be needed. While we all took into consideration how excited members were to see this feature and to use it, the reasons above have driven the team to decide to remove the feature from AVEN all together. 

We apologize for everyone getting hopes up for something new and shiny. You will see the tab disappear over the next few days when Cole has a chance to remove it from view.

On behalf of the Admod Team,

Lia

Sounds like very good reasoning. I think it was the right decision.

47 minutes ago, Hazel_Elise said:

Sounds like very good reasoning. I think it was the right decision.

I second that. :)

We will survive without clubs. :P 

That's an interesting update; I didn't expect that, but it makes sense to me. With all of the different forums, including the Older Asexuals' Forum, Off-A, Philosophy and Politics, and Arcade Forums, the site already seemed as though it already had "clubs" of a sort, separate forums for different members' interests.

15 hours ago, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

That's an interesting update; I didn't expect that, but it makes sense to me. With all of the different forums, including the Older Asexuals' Forum, Off-A, Philosophy and Politics, and Arcade Forums, the site already seemed as though it already had "clubs" of a sort, separate forums for different members' interests.

Yes, there are sort of clubs, but they are formed naturally, and people are free to go where they please. I think they are saying that with the clubs feature you could block people and exclude them from your clubs.

Archived