UK government LGBT survey & action plan

drnick

The UK government has conducted a large scale survey of LGBT people, and you can read a summary of the results here - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-lgbt-survey-summary-report/national-lgbt-survey-summary-report. It's interesting reading and worth having a look at.

Of those responding to the survey 2% identify as asexual, and have an average 'life satisfaction' score of 5.9, lower than the general population (7.7) or cisgender LGB people (6.9). 89% of asexual people said they had avoided being open about their sexuality due to fear of a negative reaction. (Remember this is based on 2% of the 108000 people who completed the survey, so perhaps isn't statistically very reliable). I wonder if the low figure for life satisfaction is due to the people who replied to the survey & identified as asexual being on average younger than other groups.

The publication of the survey is accompanied by a government action plan for LGBT people, which as far I can see (just by searching for the word) doesn't mention asexuality or asexual people. I haven't looked at this in detail, but the proposals which have received the most media attention this morning are the banning of gay conversion therapy, which is certainly long overdue, and changes to the process of trans people gaining official recognition of their gender.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/lgbt-action-plan-2018-improving-the-lives-of-lesbian-gay-bisexual-and-transgender-people

Thanks for posting this, it is very interesting to see. The results seem to be very clear and should speak for themselves. As for any improvements coming out of it, I would expect absolutely nothing from this government, so any actual outcome would be a positive surprise. Note that the fancy pdf brochure they produced as an "action plan" is about "improving the lives of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people", i.e. we still don't exist.

Skycaptain

As an adjunct to this the UK government have just announced that conversion therapy for gender and organisation issues will be banned. 

2 hours ago, timewarp said:

Thanks for posting this, it is very interesting to see. The results seem to be very clear and should speak for themselves. As for any improvements coming out of it, I would expect absolutely nothing from this government, so any actual outcome would be a positive surprise. Note that the fancy pdf brochure they produced as an "action plan" is about "improving the lives of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people", i.e. we still don't exist.

I saw a video on BBC about it amd was like "wtf" when they read out the stats as they just went 61% homosexual, 26% bisexual and 13% is Transexual, ignoring that Trans could also be part if either of the 2 ither stats, and it ignored others (like ace and pan amoung others).

Still glad the report itself didn't fully ignore us by the sounds of it.

Celyn: The Lutening

Look, the straights have a lot of catching up to do and they're doing their best...well, at least the UK ones are.

Thank you for the link @drnick. Found the demographics especially interesting and intend to read the report more thoroughly tomorrow.

Archived