FaerieFate

Famous people who are asexual Ranker List

FaerieFate

https://www.ranker.com/list/famous-asexual-people/celebrity-lists?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=comicspost&pgid=763663430350503&utm_campaign=fluidity_is_in

I was on FaceBook and Total Nerd posted this list and said, "23 celebrities most people don't realize are asexual." I had to share, because there are some modern celebrates that have come out, and I know a lot of people ask for names.

• Like 6

okir fokir

It’s unfortunately mostly pure speculation.

• Like 1

daveb

Some are speculation (such as Newton and Tesla). Others are self-declared, but may have different ideas of what asexual means. But I think there is still reason to think some (many?) are/were actually asexual as we know it here. :) 

• Like 4

Chris Zulas

Tim Gunn isn't asexual, he's very much a celibate gay man. He's said as much before. Every single one of these lists includes him, though. I can only assume it's because they want really bad to appear really with it progressively, but it's like that article of characters that people headcanon as ace that Buzzfeed did, which included Pearl from Steven Universe. She definitely COULD be ace, but she's also not at all aromantic, being very definitively homoromantic. Wouldn't be a problem unless they conflated asexuality with aromanticism, while using both terms, but then a buncha dickwads on Twitter who didn't know the first thing about us got upset, and Buzzfeed showed once again that they're useless and actually harmful. There's still people who lovingly watched BoJack Horseman's last season and STILL don 't understand asexuality (I love him but COME ON PaleoSteno) and they post this. Anyways, you won't even get that many asexual celebrities until asexuality is widely known and understood, because if Ben Affleck is asexual he won't know it, I doubt more than a handful of big celebs know/understand/care about us.

Sry if that comes off really pessimistic.

okir fokir
Posted (edited)

Ralph Nader, J.M. Barrie, Florence Nightingale, Nikola Tesla, Isaac Newton, Emily Brontë, T.E. Lawrence, Kenji Miyazawa, Sun Ra, John Frusciante, and Richey Edwards are all speculation only. They may very well be or have been asexual but we can’t know that. It’s like assuming someone’s gender. Unless they tell you, you don’t know.

Tim Gunn, Janeane Garofalo, Paul’s Poundstone, Bradford Cox, Edward Gorey, David Jay, Emilie Autumn, Keri Hulme, Valeriya Novodvorskaya, and Mike Skinner are the ones on the list who we know have made statements about their sexuality - either with the label or saying they don’t like sex or have never experienced sexual attraction. Some of them don’t even say they identify as asexual and are just assumed to be. Tim Gunn describes himself as celibate and only a few of them have ever used the term asexual.

Edited by okir fokir
Edit for clarity
  • Like 3

Tuple

Some of these people are assumed to be asexual because they've never been in a relationship. Just because someone hasn't been in a relationship doesn't mean they're asexual - they could be aromantic.

• Like 2

daveb

I seem to recall reading somewhere once Tim Gunn himself saying he was asexual (but it could be he was using the term differently). 

okir fokir
25 minutes ago, daveb said:

I seem to recall reading somewhere once Tim Gunn himself saying he was asexual (but it could be he was using the term differently). 

I believe he has used the term at some point but has clarified in interviews that he is a celibate gay man. I could be misremembering but I'm fairly certain.

• Like 1

I'mTheDecoy

This is such a disappointing list.  I pretty much don't know who any of those people are, except for the dead ones, and as people have already said, that's just speculation.  Not much of a role model list, is it.

• Like 1

thylacine

Ralph Nader, I do think so...  but they say that guy is "unsafe at any speed."

(Sorry, it's Friday.)

• Like 1

knittinghistorian
On 7/2/2018 at 12:04 AM, okir fokir said:

I believe he has used the term at some point but has clarified in interviews that he is a celibate gay man. I could be misremembering but I'm fairly certain.

I wonder if he might be demisexual, or gray-ace.  From what I've read, he was in a long-term relationship, but it ended and he hasn't been in one since.  Even just the fact that he seems to have been grappling with the terms "asexual" and "celibate" seems to suggest that he might be somewhere on the spectrum.

At least we can hope so.  Any category would be delighted to claim Tim Gunn, I would think!

• Like 1