Favourite Bread (Straw Poll)

Pramana

I'm starting this straw poll to invite people to share their favourite varieties of bread. I figure there are so many different varieties that it would be easier if people just describe what they like in the comments, since I'll leave out too many if I try to create a list for voting purposes.

Soft white buns, baguettes, and garlic bread.

Grumpy Alien

All bread is good bread

Garlic bread and all kinds of buns

May I just say that only very few nations know how to bread to begin with.

All kinds of buns, garlic bread, sourdough and walnut raisin bread when homemade (yes I like raisins, don't judge me!)

Tortillas, lefsa, dinner rolls (white or wheat), sourdough, wheat bread, pancakes, waffles, sweet rolls, cinnamon rolls ... I just like most types of breads. :)

German bread (wholemeal), preferably self-made, with sunflower seeds, linseed etc

I also like real French baguette (as an alternative, not every day)

RoseGoesToYale

Rye (the only bread in the supermarket that can go mold-free up to three weeks), brioche (not the soggy yellow hamburger buns), panettone (only at christmas, though), cardamom braid (also christmas), and fresh Tampa-baked cuban bread (with palmetto leaf)

Bread, mmm... 🤤

Wait, what? Favorite bread? Uh, all of them? ;) 

Seriously, though, I don't know which one to choose, they're all so good! 

divided_sky

Ciabatta

Challah (My mom used to make french toast with this, delicious)

5 hours ago, fuzzipueo said:

Tortillas, lefsa, dinner rolls (white or wheat), sourdough, wheat bread, pancakes, waffles, sweet rolls, cinnamon rolls ... I just like most types of breads. :)

If those count as bread, then I am all in

18 minutes ago, divided_sky said:

Ciabatta

Challah (My mom used to make french toast with this, delicious)

If those count as bread, then I am all in

They are considered to be quick breads.

divided_sky
4 minutes ago, fuzzipueo said:

That are considered to be quick breads.

I honestly don't even know what defines a bread. But I am pleased to know I can inform people that I had bread for breakfast after a lumberjack stack

Skycaptain

Multigrain wholemeal in the main, garlic bread as a treat 

Divide By Zero

Raisin bread

Soda Bread, an Irish heavy bread that's good in stews. Love it.

Rye for starters, more specifically finnish homemade fresh rye bread :)

speaking of which mother is making it right now.

There are quite a few variables in getting the best possible crust, homemade in a wood heated baking oven without temperature control has certain amount of luck involved. Generally maybe 5 breads out of 20 are "perfect" rest are still good but not quite as good :)

id take a photo of end result but only first batch in the oven and itll take about 30 min still before they are out.

blunose2772

Pretzel Bread

everywhere and nowhere

I prefer soft white buns, just like someone mentioned. Fun fact: in Poland such a small bun is called "kajzerka", from the German "Kaiser" (emperor). In the period 1795-1918 Poland disappeared as an independent country and its territory was divided between Russia, Prussia/Germany and Austria (or rather, the Austro-Hungarian empire). In the last of these, Poles and all inhabitants in general had it relatively best, so for a long time there was a lot of sentiment for these times in southern Poland, so that's the probable origin of this word - but still, the name "kajzerka" is now used all over Poland.

Such a small bun is prfect for a single person's breakfast. I cut it in two halves, smear it with butter and vegetable paste, or sometimes with honey, or sometimes I smear it with butter, lay thin slices of garlic on it and then cover it with a piece of soy "ham" - it's just the right size, only slightly bigger than a standard kajzerka...

For the record, I'm partial to thick crust breads, such as french bread. I also like rye and sourdough. Plus naan bread is pretty great. Especially if it's garlic naan. Actually, any type of bread is wonderful with garlic.

AcornCarvings

anything with a good crust and a springy, moist, and airy inside

also depends on why I am eating the bread

everywhere and nowhere
On 7/8/2018 at 4:29 AM, Pramana said:

For the record, I'm partial to thick crust breads, such as french bread. I also like rye and sourdough. Plus naan bread is pretty great. Especially if it's garlic naan. Actually, any type of bread is wonderful with garlic.

I also like naan bread and regret that I can't buy it in any stores. I'm not so eager to make bread myself, particularly since, with my allergy and small wounds on my fingers, I can't (or rather shouldn't) knead dough.

I really like the Indian dish of black lentils in a creamy tomato-butter sauce and it would be best with naan. Rice is a decent substitute, but doesn't fit it was well.

Funny story: there is an Indian reastaurant near my home and I wanted to check out their menu and so I noticed that there are lots of small errors in the Polish version (in big cities almost everywhere menus also have an English version, sometimes also Russian, German...). So I asked them if I could dine there in exchange for preparing a correction and they agreed! So I ate that dish with naan bread and a tea-like infusion made of lemon and ginger. Later the manager sat down to check the correction (I have very bad handwriting and it's not easy for me to write something legible) and we talked a bit (in English). I guess I'll go there again and buy some naad to reheat on a pan at home, then I'll have the perfect ingredients for homemade black lentils in sauce.

Grumpy Alien
On 6/30/2018 at 2:25 PM, fuzzipueo said:

I’ve never heard of pancakes, waffles, or cinnamon rolls being considered bread... I’m shook

Archived