Nature places we like to visit

RakshaTheCat

RakshaTheCat

There is similar thread, but since its mostly about animals, I though I'll make separate one just for places. Would love to see where people like going. Do you go alone, or do you have someone with whom you like to share your trips?

Here is one of mine, little waterfall (from my avatar) I like to go to every once in a while. Reachable by bike ride + short hike from place where I live. It has a name, but place is not super popular with tourists, so its often nice and quiet there.

36274043_100720037512922_845184452578089

That looks amazing! NZ has lots of great natural places to visit!

Locally (here in Portland) we have a cool state forest/park that I like. Nice and shady, good during hot sunny days especially. I like just about any place that has plenty of trees and shade, especially if there aren't many people about.

Ahoy thar! I've not seen enough years on this Earth yet to be called "older," being only 27, but I am entirely in love with the natural world and exploring beautiful natural places is amongst my favorite things to do. I hope I am not intruding by posting here.

None of the photos will be mine, unfortunately. I need to take my camera out and practice a bit sometime.

extra_large_e4efb9e0069f5394c5e08424390a

This is Garden of the Gods here in Southern Illinois, not to be confused with the area of the same name in Colorado, which I want to visit someday as well. There is an easy trail that I've often taken through it with some beautiful views over the forest, and a number of the many unusual rock formations in the Garden can be seen along the way. Two that are visible in the photograph above are Camel Rock and Monkey Face; some others I know are Table Rock, Mushroom Rock, and Anvil Rock. I loved to play on Table Rock as a boy. 

GOGMonkeyHead.jpg

Here's a closer look at Monkey Face that better demonstrates how it acquired the name. It even has a little nose.

garden-of-the-gods.jpg

And there's Camel Rock. I've always wanted to sit on its head right on the nose, but it'd be very dangerous for me to try for a number of reasons. 

RakshaTheCat

Thanks for sharing Blomdor, that's nice place! And everyone is welcome to share :)

While I was still living in Poland, I visited similar rock formations on Szczeliniec peak several times, with its very own Monkey Face rock. Rock Monkey from Poland sends best wishes to Rock Monkey from USA 🐵

800px-Malpolud_wisnia6522.JPG

(photo from wiki though, I don't even know if I had digital camera while I visited it myself...)

That is so cool! Yours even has something of a torso below the head. I love rock formations; it's as if nature sculpts its own art. It is amazing what the erosive forces of wind, rain, tree roots, and everything else can create given thousands or millions of years.

On 6/28/2018 at 8:30 PM, Marcin said:

Thanks for sharing Blomdor, that's nice place! And everyone is welcome to share :)

While I was still living in Poland, I visited similar rock formations on Szczeliniec peak several times, with its very own Monkey Face rock. Rock Monkey from Poland sends best wishes to Rock Monkey from USA 🐵

800px-Malpolud_wisnia6522.JPG

(photo from wiki though, I don't even know if I had digital camera while I visited it myself...)

That is one cool rock formation.  Complete with eyebrows, ears and nostrils.

I have some photos of past backpacking trips I would like to share here.

How I love rocks! The photos are spectacular.! 

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

I'm loving rocks as well right now! 

I'd love to go here ...it's Plitvice pools in Croatia, but I can't post photos, so.....

19 minutes ago, chandrakirti said:

Plitvice pools in Croatia

That's a really cool place! Fantastical even. :D 

(the tilted camera angle is a bit disorienting though :lol: )

RakshaTheCat
On 7/6/2018 at 6:06 AM, chandrakirti said:

I'm loving rocks as well right now! 

I'd love to go here ...it's Plitvice pools in Croatia, but I can't post photos, so.....

Yes, definitely lovely place. Why not go there then? :)

On 7/5/2018 at 11:06 AM, chandrakirti said:

I'd love to go here ...it's Plitvice pools in Croatia,

Croatia is just about top of my list for foreign destinations!

My favorite place to visit is anywhere on the west coast of the United States.  I'm a beach baby.

Guest Jetsun Milarepa

It seems the places that formed the former Yugoslavia is beautiful. I'm planning Plitvice pools for next year.

I think I can one-up you all for "Lord of the Rings" landscapes.  I live near Niagara Falls, and there's a trail that I love that goes down into the gorge itself there. Unfortunately, I don't have a good photo of it, but it looks unsettlingly like the stairs of Cirith Ungol.  Most of it is just a long flight of stone steps down into the abyss.

5 hours ago, Ardoise said:

I think I can one-up you all for "Lord of the Rings" landscapes.  I live near Niagara Falls, and there's a trail that I love that goes down into the gorge itself there. Unfortunately, I don't have a good photo of it, but it looks unsettlingly like the stairs of Cirith Ungol.  Most of it is just a long flight of stone steps down into the abyss.

That sounds cool (although it might not go well with my fear of heights!).

I saw plenty of LOTR landscapes earlier this year (went to New Zealand and even to Hobbiton). :) 

On 7/5/2018 at 2:06 PM, chandrakirti said:

I'd love to go here ...it's Plitvice pools in Croatia,

Having been there, I heartily endorse your planned visit to Plitvice. It is indeed gorgeous, if tough to pronounce. :P

Archived