Announcement in regards to new feature Clubs

Lia

Dear Members,

You may have noticed a new tab at the top of our page labeled "Clubs". At this time, Clubs are in a testing phase for Admods only. Please refrain from asking to join clubs, or creating clubs. When we have more information about this feature, and whether or not it will be implemented for future use will be announced in due time. We ask for patience, as this is a completely new feature and we want to thoroughly test its limitations and capabilities. At this time, we will be deleting all member-created clubs that have already been approved, and any created in the future until further notice, so that Admods can continue to properly test this feature.

Thank you for your patience :)

On behalf of the Admod Team,

Lia

It sounds interesting! Hope it goes well! ☺️

3 minutes ago, Chione said:

We can have a poop club though when clubs are ready though, right? 

There's no guarantee Clubs will stick around, or be open to member creation. There are no guarantees at all with this feature because we're so early in testing.

Is this what is stopping the admins from fixing things from the software update, like the fact that people still "react to" rather than "like" posts and that there is still no auto-complete for emojis?

2 minutes ago, timewarp said:

Is this what is stopping the admins from fixing things from the software update, like the fact that people still "react to" rather than "like" posts and that there is still no auto-complete for emojis?

What? First of all, some of that might not even be the Admins, it might be the webmaster (so @Coleslaw?). Second of all, I don't understand what one has to do with the other, even if those things are something Admins need to look into. Third, I didn't know that any web browser had an "auto complete" option? If that's a mobile thing, then that's a software/forum thing, and not even a Cole thing. 

55 minutes ago, .Lia said:

What? First of all, some of that might not even be the Admins, it might be the webmaster (so @Coleslaw?). Second of all, I don't understand what one has to do with the other, even if those things are something Admins need to look into. Third, I didn't know that any web browser had an "auto complete" option? If that's a mobile thing, then that's a software/forum thing, and not even a Cole thing. 

It was done by admins the last time. Unless permissions for admins have changed, which I don't believe, it's still their job.

EDIT: And just a quick demonstration what I mean - these would have been emoticons before the software update: :) :D :P :o

The emoticons "autocomplete" works just fine for me. Not sure what the problem is with the like feature though?

51 minutes ago, timewarp said:

It was done by admins the last time. Unless permissions for admins have changed, which I don't believe, it's still their job.

EDIT: And just a quick demonstration what I mean - these would have been emoticons before the software update: :):D:P:o

If you mean the last update that happened when folks would "react" instead of "like," that wasn't admins. Source: I was an admin at the time :P Unless another admin did something and didn't inform anyone else, I was told it was fixed by webmasters.

My emoticons do auto complete, example: :) :D :P :o For those, I put in the faces you put above and they automatically changed to those emoticons. Could it be something with your browser?

Maybe it's a fruit computer thing?

The emojis work for me, but the "like" feature is still wacky. I have to click it twice to make it work. And notifications say "so and so reacted to your post". Sometimes quoting doesn't seem to work for me. I guess things behave differently on different devices and browsers and days of the week and everything. :P 

They autocomplete for me, except : P becomes 😛 instead of :P.

33 minutes ago, Homer said:

Maybe it's a fruit computer thing?

I utilize soley fruit devices and I don't have that problem.

19 minutes ago, TheAP said:

They autocomplete for me, except : P becomes 😛 instead of :P.

It does that for me only on mobile and I hate the apple :P It's because AVEN now supports putting emojis from personal phones directly into the AVEN platform or whatever... Like, you could post phone emoji's before, but now it tries to auto-put them in. I understand computers.

Celyn: The Lutening
10 hours ago, daveb said:

The emojis work for me, but the "like" feature is still wacky. I have to click it twice to make it work.

Mine's been bugging out too, sometimes I have to double-click and sometimes I don't.

Sorry but I'd already clicked the geology club before I read that they're admods only. Apologies etc. 

7 hours ago, Randomchaos said:

I don't see why "react to" is a problem?

It's not a "problem". It's just not accurate, since the only reaction possible is "like". The notifications used to say "so and so liked your post". Having to click the button twice (sometimes, for some people) is what would be called a bug in software development (it certainly can't be called a "feature", or if it were by design it would be a poor design choice). The forum upgrades show something that seems to happen too often in software development, and that's that new features are added, old features are dropped or changed, and existing functionality is broken, for the sake of "improving" the software or because they have to deal with "improvements" made at another level, and it was probably rushed out with insufficient testing and/or time to fix issues.

In other words, "react" is just a trivial symptom of a bigger issue.

Catching up with the current social media landscape is a good idea if AVEN is to remain relevant. On that note, the new club format already sounds a bit dated, like Facebook dated.

In Timewarp's first post, all of the emojis only appear as keyboard characters for me, but then they appeared for me, correctly, as animation in Puck's quote of Timewarp's post.

1 hour ago, Pramana said:

Catching up with the current social media landscape is a good idea if AVEN is to remain relevant. On that note, the new club format already sounds a bit dated, like Facebook dated.

I don't understand why AVEN has to catch up or with whom. This website looks pretty updated to me, as when it was first started, no one had the ability to have animated emoticons; avatars; a chat room; nor, I think, their own PM boxes. And back then, websites didn't load as quickly as they do, now.

They've just added a larger variety of emojis that I haven't seen many members use. So, apparently, having a lot more fancy features doesn't necessarily mean others will use or need them.

There's a big difference between a non-profit site that's run by volunteers, that doesn't have a large budget, and large, fancy websites that were built by paid web developers; naturally, the former isn't going to have the most fancy, best of everything because they're unable to find or pay web developers who have that ability. I thought this is a fact of life that all non-profits have to deal with.

Plus, I remember one mod warning others that posting too many photos and gifs in a thread causes problems for some members because their computers/mobile devices don't have the ability to load all of that information, that it takes up too much space on their device, which causes it to crash. So, even if it were updated, with a whole bunch of fancy graphics, apparently, not everyone would be able to access it because not everyone has the ability to afford to buy the latest, most expensive devices that can handle a lot of computer data.

Yes, the clubs page reminded me of Yahoo Group's webpage style, but it didn't matter to me, personally, because the mods said they were testing it, and I wasn't planning on joining any, anyway. Others were starting to enjoy the new feature and that was fine with me; they were happy with it. I'm happy with sites as long as they're loading properly.

On 6/26/2018 at 2:58 PM, InquisitivePhilosopher said:

I don't understand why AVEN has to catch up or with whom. This website looks pretty updated to me, as when it was first started, no one had the ability to have animated emoticons; avatars; a chat room; nor, I think, their own PM boxes. And back then, websites didn't load as quickly as they do, now.

I'm basing this on my experiences running other asexuality sites, and getting a sense of what's appealing to young people today and what isn't. Overall, traditional forums are sliding in popularity against central forums like Reddit and newer social media platforms. AVEN's chat is notoriously dated and buggy and usage pales in comparison to the popularity of competitors.

Archived