Announcement of Admod Votes of Confidence ("Term Limits")

Lia

On 6/25/2018 at 1:53 PM, daveb said:

How would we (general members who are not on staff) even know if they weren't "strong" (whatever "strong" means in this context)? Given the way things work here it seems to me the best mods would often be the least visible (because they are working behind the scenes to keep things from escalating, for example). I mean, if a forum seems to be running smoothly we don't see what is making that happen. It could be a good mod, could be members being good, or who knows what.

I highly disagree. Certain forums are less likely to run smoothly. More importantly, I think good moderators don't always work begone the scenes. Now, I know I was never the best at this, but I think moderating requires constant interacting with members. You see me do this in the many posts I've made to some prevalent issues in that board. I've got 1 in WW, 2 in Q&A, and 1 in PPS. I'd be in SC, responding to concerns. In fact, a couple if my threads were made specifically for member interaction with mods (which have been quite well taken care of, I commend those mods). I'd often bring member ideas up to admods to discuss, as well as try to address common issues members bring up. 

This isn't a criticism on current admods by any means, as I believe current admods have done quite well in constantly interacting with members. I just disagree with the idea that most mod work is done behind the scenes. Is a lot of it done behind the scenes? Yes. However, in my experience members greatly appreciate that communication with mods. A simple, "We're looking into your report" or a "I'll bring this idea up with other admods". Encouraging questions and criticisms. Responding to threads in SC. It goes a long way, and the first indicator that I should step down was when I couldn't respond to members as much in the threads I created for just that. 

I think it depends on the needs of the forums. Some of them don't need as much mod interaction, and rely more on member input or just having someone be there to use the shiny buttons if a thread happens to be in the wrong place, or be duplicated by mistake. Some need more interaction than most, and even more guidance beyond that, so shiny buttons aside, it takes balancing knowledge and experience with what you have to work with, at the time.

It is never a one-size-fits-all solution for modding 'round here. It's a one-size-maybe-fits-most with a dash or semicolon at the ready for any one-offs or side notes. 😛 AVEN is nothing if not a melting pot of experiences, no?

That being said, it's still a community, and ppl are elected into positions because the community feels they know or understand the person(s) they voted for. It would make sense to keep that going by keeping in touch, in some capacity, with the very group that put you in that position to begin with, right? So, in that vein, I can see being interactive as a plus for any Admod; especially in holding a role that helps regulate rules within a community. That and a myriad of other positives that sort of connection adds to on-the-job improvements, or at least the potential of, anyway... N'cest pas? 

On 10/14/2018 at 10:10 AM, FaerieFate said:

I highly disagree.

So you're picking on a post I made several months ago? :P

I guess I'll find out now.

1 hour ago, daveb said:

So your picking on a post I made several months ago? :P

I guess I'll find out now.

Lol, Sorry, I didn't notice how long ago you made that post. As you know, I've been gone for a while. XD Regardless, I wanted to get my opinions on that out there for a while, just been unable to since I haven't exactly been on XD

Archived