Mind transfer into an artificial body

Sywei

Assuming that we know for a fact where the mind itself is located and we have the technology to process it as we do now, would you body transfer?

Sure, I'm sick of this piece of shit I'm trapped in; if an artificial one would cause me fewer problems, why not I guess.

Bandrailian

I used to want to, under the assumption that the brain was the location of the mind. But then I realized that theoretically that wouldn't have solved the health problems I'd be hoping to escape, so it wouldn't help. I'm also quite fond of my flesh sack, despite those health problems, so if I was able to transfer my mind somehow escaping those health problems I'd want my new artificial vessel to be very similar to this one. That would present the problem though of in order to have a similar new body, they'd probably grow it from the genes of my current one, which would mean I probably couldn't escape the health problems anyway.

tldr: If somehow the new artificial one was the same without health problems, hell yeah!

Well true the major factor to be considered would be that people would want an artificial body similar to the current one they have now so in that instance, we'd have to learn how to create an artificial womb in which we transfer the mind component after determining where and when.

The main limiting factor in all of this considered is determine where exactly in the body the mind is.

Celyn: The Lutening

HELL YES GIVE IT TO ME GIVE IT TO ME YESTERDAY No more shortsightedness, no more Essential Tremor (or would it? Since it's neurological? But would my robot joints have good "suspension" to minimise it?) No more boobs, no more periods. No more acne, no more backache from where I picked up a big sheep. No more sore hips from being all twisted because one of my legs is shorter than the other.

Jeez my meat sack is rubbish. Robot body - I needs it.

Maybe when I get old, or if my body ever becomes physically disabled. But for now, nah.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished watching A.I.C.O. so that's a definite no for me. Maybe if I'm about to die or something (though that's what started the whole mess in A.I.C.O.)

But exoskeletons (partial or full)? Something like Google Glass (but more sci-fi)? other things like that? Count me in! There was this thing on a Tedtalk about how people could have artificial wings? I want wings! As long as I could take it all off and go back to "normal" when I wanted to.

On 6/23/2018 at 7:04 AM, Celyn said:

HELL YES GIVE IT TO ME GIVE IT TO ME YESTERDAY No more shortsightedness, no more Essential Tremor (or would it? Since it's neurological? But would my robot joints have good "suspension" to minimise it?) No more boobs, no more periods. No more acne, no more backache from where I picked up a big sheep. No more sore hips from being all twisted because one of my legs is shorter than the other.

Jeez my meat sack is rubbish. Robot body - I needs it.

I mean... You could probably fix most of that with current technology.

8 minutes ago, WhimBerry said:

I just finished watching A.I.C.O. so that's a definite no for me. Maybe if I'm about to die or something (though that's what started the whole mess in A.I.C.O.)

But exoskeletons (partial or full)? Something like Google Glass (but more sci-fi)? other things like that? Count me in! There was this thing on a Tedtalk about how people could have artificial wings? I want wings! As long as I could take it all off and go back to "normal" when I wanted to.

You could probably make something like a sky bike if you wanna fly through the air. You're gonna need like 4x 240W motors tho. I think if you have a wanderlust then having an artificial body is best so that you can explore the whole universe

Just now, Sywei said:

You could probably make something like a sky bike if you wanna fly through the air. You're gonna need like 4x 240W motors tho. I think if you have a wanderlust then having an artificial body is best so that you can explore the whole universe

I don't really want wings for the sake of seeing everything in the universe. Just Earth is okay. I would probably never get tired of flying around my neighborhood, but maybe I'd try to fly to where the prairie ends and the forest begins. Or just drive out there and fly around over the treetops. Maybe head to downtown somewhere and fly around for a while. And of course this all has to be at night. 

When I was younger every birthday and Christmas wish was to be able to fly. And I was disappointed every year because all the cool toys in the world couldn't possibly compare to the night sky. 

Wings would be awesome. Not sure if a sky bike would have the same effect.

2 minutes ago, WhimBerry said:

I don't really want wings for the sake of seeing everything in the universe. Just Earth is okay. I would probably never get tired of flying around my neighborhood, but maybe I'd try to fly to where the prairie ends and the forest begins. Or just drive out there and fly around over the treetops. Maybe head to downtown somewhere and fly around for a while. And of course this all has to be at night. 

When I was younger every birthday and Christmas wish was to be able to fly. And I was disappointed every year because all the cool toys in the world couldn't possibly compare to the night sky. 

Wings would be awesome. Not sure if a sky bike would have the same effect.

Well yeah wings would be cool but they'd pretty much get in the way unless you can find some way to minimize the space they occupy when not in use. I suggested the skybike because of that and because you get to wear googles for a nice cyberpunk style :)

IDK if you'll get bored in the future but it certainly would be fun to fly around all night with nothing but you, the wind and the peaceful nightly sounds to match with a starry sky.

Celyn: The Lutening
8 hours ago, WhimBerry said:

I mean... You could probably fix most of that with current technology.

True, but also Robot Aesthetic...

Imagine you have signed up for transfer into a fantastic robot body.  Its everything you want, a better body than yours in every way.  The show you the robot, its perfect - you are ready to go. 

Lie down. Relax.  They attach electrodes to your head to read your mind. Takes a while but not unpleasant, just a bit dull. Eventually they are done, and remove the electrodes and the attendants leave.  You sit up an there is a video monitor showing where they are programming your new perfect body.  After a few minutes it sits up.  It smiles.  It talks with the attendants for a bit - it is VERY happy with its new body and wants to take it for a spin.  They tell it "no problem", just sign here that this worked so we can dispose of the old one...  

Comrade F&F

Get a new body? Never age again? Take a step closer to eternal life?

Sure.

Now for the idea if the body is you or just a copy of you, I present you "The Ship of Theseus." If a ship is slowly replaced piece by piece until all the pieces are new, is it the same ship? And if the ship was removed and them put in with an exact duplicate, isn't that the same thing?

Every seven years we shed our old cells for new ones. We are never the same person we were before. How would an immediate transfer to a robot body be differet?

The best explanation we have for consciousness comes from brainwave patterns. So instead of a 'robot body' I would opt for a cyborg body, so I keep the brain I'm in. Increase the chances of transferring the sense of self to the new body.

In truth, I'd rather upgrade my current body. Replace the legs so I can run faster, replace the lungs so I can breathe underwater, replace the eyes to see ultraviolet light...that sort of thing.

RoseGoesToYale

Actually, I would not. It's taken me this long to get to know all of this body's quirks, flaws, and advantages. I wouldn't want to spend 20 more years stumbling around in a body that's taller than mine or feels pain differently than this one.

16 hours ago, uhtred said:

Imagine you have signed up for transfer into a fantastic robot body.  Its everything you want, a better body than yours in every way.  The show you the robot, its perfect - you are ready to go. 

Lie down. Relax.  They attach electrodes to your head to read your mind. Takes a while but not unpleasant, just a bit dull. Eventually they are done, and remove the electrodes and the attendants leave.  You sit up an there is a video monitor showing where they are programming your new perfect body.  After a few minutes it sits up.  It smiles.  It talks with the attendants for a bit - it is VERY happy with its new body and wants to take it for a spin.  They tell it "no problem", just sign here that this worked so we can dispose of the old one...  

HELLO nightmare fuel haha.

That's actually why there is need to find out where the true mind or sense of self is before this procedure can even be done. That's the first complication, the second being that to engineer a body that's exactly like a human (self regeneration included) and even perform more advanced functions in a wider range of environments.

The difficultly is insane but there are clues for the first part which comes from MRI devices in which patients have reported that there has been instances in which they feel as though they were at different places within the magnetic field despite their physical body being elsewhere. A next perspective to tackle would be Out of Body Effects (OBE) and how they occur.

My personal theory (hypothesis in science) would be that you can transfer a mind from one point to another using a powerful directional magnetic field. But this is based on a limited amount of information as well as a lack of money to try it.

If it were possible, stuff like full immersive VR games would be possible though.

Some people really enjoyed Ghost in the shell series,so I guess it's understandable.I also did,and have a positive impression,but...I cant mix up apples with lemons.The show was good yes,but nothing more that that.Just a nice fiction works.Real life is a different issue,and since I'm a religious guy(but no religious group whatsoever) I can only laugh when I read about such ideas.Some ppl are interested?They even think it's simple,not to mention possible?Go right ahead! Nothing will force me into that sort of things.I wont betray my beliefs.I always thought,since some time ago,that the present world isnt at all to my likings.I might've fit somewhere in the 1500s.Humanity lived thousands of years without that sort of technology/improvements.So why is the present world that obsessed with all gadgets&thingies?

Dont try an answer-I'll give it myself.Because NOW it's the time.The time 4fun.And not in a positive meaning.This answer also explain the rise of LGBT movement,4 ex.And countless others.I'm a reasonable guy,I could live happy and content without all the present's 'gifts'.The only problem is-I'm still stuck.Stuck in a complex situation and cannot escape that easily.But the time will come,eventually.

After 2000,ALOT of stuff changed or began to rise.And now,more than other times,we're close to a BIG change.Or I should say-the pt.of no return.

Although it meant something else,for me,this was the REAL Y2K problem.Are we meant to be destroyed?-at the time,or will live on and continue opening further,Pandora's box in the 21st century?Since we're still here,the answer is obvious.Plus,it was not the time yet.In the year 2000.

RakshaTheCat

To actually transfer your mind, you would need to transplant whole brain. Otherwise, artificial body will just receive clone of your mind, while original one will stay in meat-brain. Hilarity ensues, when your old and cloned minds start fighting each other over your current assets and money 😁

• 4 weeks later...

Will it extend my lifespan? If yes, then I won't. I'm not gonna sign away my God-given right to death after a small handful of decades of life. :P

If I'll still get to die within thirty years max, then I'd need a lot more details on the procedure.

J. van Deijck

knowing it's actually going to work, yes. I'm an android after all.

btw, has anyone heard about Kenneth Hayworth? 

I don't think so.

Even though sometimes I absolutely hate it, I want to stay in my natural body. It feels safe and familiar. 

My body is faulty, so yes 

I believe my body is a gift, so no matter how it is, I don't think I would transfer. It's scary for me, since it will be like challenging death itself. 

I have a hard time believing it could be done, just making a copy of myself doesnt really help "me", sure its awfully selfish of me to complain if a exact copy of me could continue "better" existence but it still woulndt be me :)

Only way i can think copy problem could go away is replacing body piece by piece (on a cellular or even smaller scale) with similar enough machine doing the work of whatever its replacing, whatever changes to me that process would cause should be slow enough for "me" to adapt to them just like aging is changing me now :)

I can imagine in the far future it might be culturally ok to cease existing if exact copy continues, bit like altered carbon tv series but now i find it unacceptable for myself

(i saw the system in the series as copying individual instead of actually transfering same person to another body)

(thanks auto correct, i was about to write invidual, its also saying transfering is wrong but too lazy to sort that out)

GutsyCowardLep

if it was a copy of me or me I would not care it would be interesting plus kind of soothing to know a part of me is out there.

Archived