3 YA Writers Share Why They Wrote Books With Asexual Protagonists

scarletlatitude

scarletlatitude

https://www.bustle.com/p/3-ya-writers-share-why-they-wrote-books-with-asexual-protagonists-9546309

Bustle

21 June 2018

This article discusses 'Let's Talk About Love' by Claire Kann, 'Radio Silence' by Alice Oseman, and 'Tash Hearts Tolstoy' by Kathryn Ormsbee. 

"In the US, we live in a culture that’s saturated with sex and hypersexualization, and while I am all for sex positivity, I think it’s so easy for those in the ace community to feel alienated in this environment," Ormsbee, who identifies as demisexual, tells Bustle. "Books that feature asexual characters give voice and presence to readers who might not see themselves represented anywhere else."

These three books bust down stereotypes, the few that exist about asexual protagonists and then some. The characters are alive and passionate and confused and in love and heartbroken and trying, always, to figure it out, just like everyone else.

That's good that we have some asexual representation in fiction. I'd still like to see more books with aromantic characters, though.

Archived