How did they "come out" to you?

supergeekgirl

supergeekgirl

I'm really having trouble coming out to family and friends in a way that will help them understand. I thought that, since you were able to find your way here, maybe your loved ones came out to you in a better way. Share what they said to you to make it easier on you.

I'm mostly worried about telling my family and friends, including my religious grandmother who keeps saying that it's "unnatural" and "just a phase" or "just a fad", but you can share stories about significant others as well.

When my significant other told me, my first reaction was "...what?" and my second reaction was "yeah, that sounds about right" and my third reaction was "kewl!"

So maybe I'm not the best model. For people who may have a hard time grasping it, I'd recommend explaining it in context of stuff that's observable, like how some people are total perverts and are overly-interrested in it, and how other people are less interrestested. So it makes sence that there'd be a decent number of people off the "low" end, and you're one, and it really isn't that big a deal whatsoever but it's who you are and you'd like for them to understand and accept that.

Sound good?

Wolf X Omega

most people i told that i'm asexual(not my mom, and my dad is dead) have had an reaction like "wow, How's it like?" and i usually makes a chain of question of how is it being asexual, and what exactly is asexuality, the others just said i'm gay.

I don't tell anyone, because most people I know are as intellectual as a box of bricks, unfortunately, and therefore cannot tolerate anything slightly "different." Where I come from, if someone has an accent, is dark, or dresses differently, or believes different things, they are in trouble. This is sad, since it's a very multicultural area I live in. There are Hispanic & Black people, & Muslims & Buddhists & Christians, and it's real sad since no one likes each other!

I just don't say anything to anyone except THIS PLACE.

As to "How's it like?" my answer to that would be, you are just the same as anyone except you are not interested in sex, and that it's like sex is not a part of your universe. You do everything else that other people do, pay bills, work, do the laundry, clean the house, feed the cats, wash the car, hang out with friends for a few drinks, etc... except your friends keep annoying the hell out of you about why you're not married yet. That's how's it like...

Here is another example of "how's it like." I went to the mall with my cousin for Christmas shopping (not recently, during the winter). She wanted to go to the mall Christmas Eve, because she said, men shop last minute and she wanted to look at them. We walked the mall, she gets excited, "GUYS! GUYS! GUYS! WE ARE SURROUNDED BY GUYS!" "Ah... yeah. So?" "OH! OH! OH! LOOK AT THAT ONE! HE'S SOOOOO HOT!" "I dunno, he looks kinda scruffy." We were at the mall 4 hours, and she was in an altered state the whole time. I was like, calm down girl.

• 2 weeks later...

For me it wasn't exactly 'coming out.' My family knew that I didn't date much, and one day I just started going around calling myself one. :P To my surprise, I found out that my aunt was one as well. :D At one point my mom thought I was gay, which REALLY made me mad, so to this day I still don't know what she thought of me. :? (though I was never one to hang out with many girls, even as friends :roll:)

I'M STRAIGHT, DANG IT! :evil:

Straight asexual, whatever. :P

(I have no problems with gay people, I just don't like being called gay when I'm not.)

I don't go and tell random people unless they ask. I mean, does a heterosexual go around shouting, "HEY! I'M STRAIGHT!"? :lol: If they do ask, however, they're always unhappy with my answer and say, "You're just scared." (Which angers me almost as much as my mum calling me gay. :evil:)

I'm not scared, I just have no interest whatsoever... Ya know?

Archived