Better living through technology...

SorryNotSorry

SorryNotSorry

My computer nerd buddy and I have come up with a simple gadget which we want to make and sell. It's made of 3 pieces of steel welded together and given a coat of paint. Problem is, two of those pieces have been very time-consuming to make, because they had to be cut on a drill press. It would be much better, I thought, to job them out to a company that can stamp them out of sheet metal the way washers are made, then I'd do the final assembly.

First place I contacted never got back to me. Second place wanted WAY too much for the job. Third place said what I want is way too small a job for them. Fourth place told me—surprise, surprise—that stamping is an obsolete technology, that I'd do better to look for a place that can cut the parts I need using a laser or a plasma cutter.

Up until now, I'd even been considering looking for someone in China who can make the parts cheap, but then the idea of buying a plasma cutter started to sound better and better, plus there are a lot of other unrelated projects my computer nerd buddy and I could use it for. So, he got so excited afer watching some guy on YT cut a steel plate using a plasma cutter, that he wants to buy one for both of us.

I found out there's nothing magical about the way a plasma cutter works. It's essentially a jet of compressed air blown through an electric arc, and this superheated air is used to cut metal. It's way less time-consuming than using an electric saw, and not as messy as an acetylene torch. I've been doing my own arc welding for 24 years, so using a plasma cutter should be second nature. I remember when plasma cutters used to cost a couple thousand bucks. Now there are some for under $200.

Duke Memphis

What's your product's intended purpose?

SorryNotSorry
2 hours ago, Duke Memphis said:

What's your product's intended purpose?

Surcam accessory for residences and businesses.

Ace of Mind

I'm quite impressed with the accessibility of do-it-yourself CNC machines these days. 3D printers, plasma cutters, and 3-axis routers are all within reach of hobbyists for a few hundred bucks, either through kits or even built from scratch with enough knowhow,. It's refreshing. 

Archived