Anyone else gets annoyed by very sexualized lyrics in music ?

texpika96

Ok as title is straightforward and obvious , anyone ?

As for me everytime i hear a sexually suggestive song like to where the entire song is just about sex, i really tend to get annoyed by it, disgusted, wonder how is it remotely ok to just listen to it so casually when of course i understand why but i get really uncomfortable by listening to it.

especially the fact being Hispanic and Spanish speaking music can be a bit too much *looks at Reggaeton as a good example* but its prevalent in other languages also

what about y'all? what do you feel, how do you react to when such music is played and what do you do to save yourself from it ?

I'm really big into heavier rock music (which can talk a lot about sex and stuff like that). Have you ever tried listening to some of the bordering on Christian groups? That's kinda what I do. A lot of the time they won't directly talk about religion but they do tend to keep their lyrics cleaner.

th-emptyhearse

I really don't like the sexual/lustful lyrics either. I don't think I'm as extremely disgusted as you, but they definitely make go 'úgh, pls stop.'

The sheer amount of sex obsessed songs also annoy me, and also when they're sexually objectifying women. For example, I thought the song Çhelsea Dagger by The Fratellis sounded cool at first, but then I listened more closely and watched the video and now I can't stand it. 'Marvin Gaye and Get It On' is another one that annoys me to no end. I'm sure there are countless more, really just half of the stuff that's on the radio. Its part of why I usually steer clear of pop music.

I agree. Whenever a song with sexual lyrics or a sexual music video comes on, I cringe and feel disgusted/weirded out.

I don’t know if I just hadn’t listened to a lot of music before but I feel like music today is worse than it used to be (with exceptions of course). 

So maybe try and find older songs? (Depending on genre I’m not sure how far back you’d need to go)

everywhere and nowhere
1 hour ago, th-emptyhearse said:

I really don't like the sexual/lustful lyrics either. I don't think I'm as extremely disgusted as you, but they definitely make go 'úgh, pls stop.'

The sheer amount of sex obsessed songs also annoy me, and also when they're sexually objectifying women. For example, I thought the song Çhelsea Dagger by The Fratellis sounded cool at first, but then I listened more closely and watched the video and now I can't stand it. 'Marvin Gaye and Get It On' is another one that annoys me to no end. I'm sure there are countless more, really just half of the stuff that's on the radio. Its part of why I usually steer clear of pop music.

I feel the same. I'm generally picky when it comes to pop music and very much dislike dance music, so I really get tired with the music playing at the gym. It's a gym for women, so the music steers perhaps even more in the pop-dance direction (really, why do they assume that women prefer such music? I'm a woman and I prefer rock and ethnic music) and whenever songs get overtly sexual, it feels like PROPAGANDA to me - it feels like someone is actively telling women how a modern woman should behave. On the other hand, at least it gives me again the feeling that celibacy is non-conformism.

And as for the music genre again, I obviously won't tell them what to play (though I suggested more rock), but for example I really feel like one of "songs" (not really a song because it has no lyrics and is over 15 minutes long ;)) by the Swedish psychedelic rock band Träd, Gräs och Stenar could really be good for working out. It's a psychedelic jam (the type of music I enjoy most), but it's very dynamic. And probably nobody at the gym except me has ever heard this "song"...

Depends. I am not into rap, or anything completely 'modern', so I don't get a lot of sexualised lyrics.

They don't actively annoy me. They don't interest me either.

Easier to just ignore all the shit out there.

12 hours ago, Mizuwolf said:

I'm really big into heavier rock music (which can talk a lot about sex and stuff like that). Have you ever tried listening to some of the bordering on Christian groups? That's kinda what I do. A lot of the time they won't directly talk about religion but they do tend to keep their lyrics cleaner.

I do listen to heavier rock sometimes myself also but hearing the sexually explicit lyrics after awhile just turns me away so same there. and yes i have :) i do listen to some bands that are considered Christian but don't always sing with the Christian themes. i listen to bands like Fireflight, Flyleaf, Skillet and some others and i enjoy their music  alot. :) true and even when they do i don't mind since i'm Christian but i like what they sing about life's problems, issues in society etc and coping with situations but definitely a lot cleaner

then of course i listen to rock that doesn't have sex in the lyrics like Paramore, Sleeping with Sirens and some others and i enjoy bands like that. i also listen to country since i love country music but even country music today is starting to get hypersexualized and ugh i have to find alternatives to that. 😕 really sucks when our society are too sexually liberated and us asexuals etc tend to be feeling awkward over it.

11 hours ago, th-emptyhearse said:

I'm the same with going and saying "please stop" since it does get too annoying.

Oh i'm with you there especially when the artists are sexually objectifying women and thats pretty much a vast majority of genres even country when considering mostly conservative people listen to that but pop music and rap are the worse offenders to it though. oh yeah i heard of those songs since especially Marvin Gaye as popular it is and i hate the song tbh and Get It On.. for popular songs and especially females listening to it mainly, i don't get how they can listen to that when its sexually objecting them. ._. same here though i have to put up with it everyday because family and friends love to play that sort of crap all day. i really hate pop music today, its just repetitive crap that has lyrics that aren't inspiring at least, too much sex in it and its just a chore to listen to.

10 hours ago, ReyGraves said:

I don’t know if I just hadn’t listened to a lot of music before but I feel like music today is worse than it used to be (with exceptions of course). 

So maybe try and find older songs? (Depending on genre I’m not sure how far back you’d need to go)

Compared to what was played before at least 2006 ? it was a lot better and since at least 2008 its gotten a lot worse in my view also. for the most part the quality of music just dropped hence we see why it has gotten worse. ( yes some exceptions i know some good exceptions :) )

Yup i do that more often, either listen to some oldies, 90s country music that tends to be less sex focused and more on friends, family, romance and other lighter themes, country music that isnt like pop country today etc,and songs in general that are lighter.i also love to listen to 80s music but some stuff then was heavily sexualized so i just find what i know and like and listen to it :)

I'm going against the grain here. My favourite music is blues and I accept that a lot of blues stuff is just one big euphemism. I suppose I just don't take the words to heart though.

I'm not too fussed, although I do get annoyed when I find a song I really like and realise the lyrics are actually referring to sex. Like Cake by the Ocean, I learnt this from a thread on here a few days ago and it's killed it for me😆 

Fantastic Name

I can't stand them. I usually don't listen to that kind of stuff, but every once in a while I have to endure it because I'm in a public place and it's what's on the radio. It's almost always gotta be some emotionless pop song, too.

I've kinda learned to just ignore it now, but it does get under my skin from time to time.

verymelancholic

Any sexualized scenes in TV/film makes me uncomfortable but I’m more accepting when it comes to music. There are some sexualized songs I hate, some I like, it really depends.

A lot of the music I listen to don't have lyrics, and when there are lyrics, I'm pretty good at ignoring sexual stuff. There are a few genres I'll just stay away from, like rap and generic club music.

I listen to a wide variety of music, and I tend to just ignore hyper-sexualized lyrics. I also think "oh, there goes the obligatory sex reference, la la la, now back to the head banging part!" I also focus on the underlying beats or a certain harmonizing part, just until the bit is over. 

If you like Paramore, I would also suggest Tonight Alive. Same genre, amazing guitarist and female lead vocals. As far as I know they keep it pretty clean, or maybe I'm just totally clueless… 

You can also try to interpret the innuendos literally. Like, doesn't cake by the ocean sound amazing? I love cake! :cake: 

Yep, I get grossed out by it too. I suppose I wouldn't mind as much if most charting, popular music wasn't all like that, but it is and it's exhausting. It's the most annoying thing ever when the song sounds amazing and then these horrible lyrics pop up that just put you right off it.

I think the worst lyrics I've ever heard are by Cannibal Corpse (I think)... I get that they're not being serious, I suppose, but they're just SO excruciatingly painful to listen to.

I really can't listen to music with over the top, scary lyrics, but if it's subtle or at least tasteful then I can usually cope with it.

The Anchorage

I agree with you; music about sex and lascivious women is (imho) quite annoying but (alas!) overrepresented.

I tend to stay clear of radio pop songs and rap/hip-hop and prefer oldies, noir or rock.

The only "sexual" songs I can stand are "old ones" (like "I'm on fire" or "Wicked Game", stuff like that) bc they are kinda "classy". 

It depends on the circumstances. If I’m listening to music alone or with my friends I can generally just tune out sexual lyrics if I can’t turn them off, but if my little sister is around then I get more uncomfortable. I know asexuality doesn’t automatically make one a prude, but I happen to be ace and a prude, probably because I’m mildly sex repulsed and I deal with (mostly mild) body dysphoria.

I'mTheDecoy

I have a real problem with this. I can be listening to a really good song, musically, and then the lyrics go and ruin in, and I'm the kind of person who really pays attention to the words. My housemate says just appreciate it for the tune, but I don't want to dance and be happy to a tune when the lyrics are actually borderline offensive to me. And then sometimes this spreads even further when I start to read into lyrics and they become more and more disturbing. 'Was that a double entendre?' A lot of old songs that are less overtly about sex start getting spoiled when you realise how many of them are complicit with abuse, lack of consent and then the creepy infantilising of women. 

Sexual content in song or in movies or on TV shows don’t bother me. I see posts about this all the time. I just wonder how people would react to posts from straight people saying songs or shows or movies with gay sexual content bothers them. 

I'mTheDecoy
9 hours ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Sexual content in song or in movies or on TV shows don’t bother me. I see posts about this all the time. I just wonder how people would react to posts from straight people saying songs or shows or movies with gay sexual content bothers them. 

Well, that makes me never want to let anyone know how I feel about sexual content for fear of appearing prejudiced.  I don't think that I am, sex-repulsed yes but not sex-negative.  I hope there is a difference between being uncomfortable with something personally and actively wanting others not to do it.  I realise it is more specifically a sex-repulsed ace attitude than a general ace one, but I think the issue is not that allosexuals exist, but that the media is so saturated by sex, that it is reinforced again and again that this is the norm and it's 'wrong' to feel otherwise, that one can start to resent it or be desperate to avoid it where possible, for example when I'm on my own in my 'safe place' i.e. listening to tunes through earphones, I want to be in a little ace haven where I don't have to have sex shoved down my... ears, just for a bit,

For me, it is not really about bother. I just hear something and see it out of place (If I even catch lyrics of this topic), and ask "Really now? What exactly is the point of this anyway." Then I just move along. ;)

A lot of my songs I consider I like, such as Ultraviolet (Light my Way) by U2, have a romantic themed lyrics to it, and not necessarily about sex I seem to like. Usually, those songs it is not necessarily about the lyrics, but the clever words and phrases of the lyrics and usually the melody of the song is pleasant to listen to (Ultraviolet is quite clever with its word choice in lyrics). :) 

I don’t mind if a song mentions sex. In fact, a lot of songs I like talk about sex. I don’t like the lustful songs though. All those songs that are like “girls are so hot am I right?” or “baby I love your body.” I just don’t relate to them. A good example of a song that mentions sex that isn’t lustful is Mr. Brightside. It’s about sex and describes some of the foreplay. That’s a sex-related song that’s tolerable for most aces. But honestly I’m even fine with Vicinity of Obscenity by System of a Down. It’s very graphic and kind of gross, but the song sort of parodies the over-specialization of the media so I’m not repelled by it.

Yatagarasu

As long as I don't have to see what they're singing about.

Yes, I get annoyed at that, because there should be many other topics. Some days all the songs seem to be about relationships, most of which forget there is life outside of these pairings. The expectations are ingrained in our People from such a young age, in such a way that they feel way that there is something wrong with them if they are not in a relationship. TV and movies are the same, and I’ll be like don’t mind at all the references to relationships I do mind explicit scenes in movies. Especially when you’re skipping them, if she would lose actual content in the plot. If that makes sense. Yes, now, Even the movies with a plot have those scenes. It’s an expectation and not a public percentage or small percentage of the content Of just about any movie scene.

• 1 year later...
On 7/4/2018 at 11:12 AM, I'mTheDecoy said:

I have a real problem with this. I can be listening to a really good song, musically, and then the lyrics go and ruin in, and I'm the kind of person who really pays attention to the words. My housemate says just appreciate it for the tune, but I don't want to dance and be happy to a tune when the lyrics are actually borderline offensive to me. And then sometimes this spreads even further when I start to read into lyrics and they become more and more disturbing. 'Was that a double entendre?' A lot of old songs that are less overtly about sex start getting spoiled when you realise how many of them are complicit with abuse, lack of consent and then the creepy infantilising of women. 

I relate soooo much to this! Lyrics are such a deep part of my understanding of songs, I can't just ignore them, it's impossible. As for finding older songs, I love "You got me humming" by Sam & Dave for example, it does something to my brain, and I thought nothing but romance of it until a friend of mine stated the obvious double entendre.... No I can't go through with listening to it, just tried, it's awful.

On 7/4/2018 at 11:54 AM, Éadweard said:

I just wonder how people would react to posts from straight people saying songs or shows or movies with gay sexual content bothers them. 

Well, I don't mind gay content, but I mind sexual content of any orientation. Not to start a definition debate here, but if someone throws sexual talk at me, I can call it harassment. If someone talks about non-sexual things to me, I couldn't (and wouldn't need to). I consider all sexual content in public space as harassment towards me (like H&M bra ads, songlyrics, tv etc).

On 7/4/2018 at 9:53 PM, I'mTheDecoy said:

Well, that makes me never want to let anyone know how I feel about sexual content for fear of appearing prejudiced.

Please don't have that fear. Sexualized content should not have any place in public space, only in spaces that you've made a conscious decision and consent to being exposed to sexualized content.

On 6/20/2018 at 10:16 AM, Nowhere Girl said:

whenever songs get overtly sexual, it feels like PROPAGANDA to me - it feels like someone is actively telling women how a modern woman should behave. [...]

And as for the music genre again, I obviously won't tell them what to play (though I suggested more rock),

It IS propaganda. If not intended, at least it certainly has the exact same effect. I don't like listen to the radio because I don't want other people to tell me what I should like (sexual or not). So, with sexualized content, it's even worse. My personal opinion when I'm at the gym is: why do they play so much rock, isn't techno much better for work out? :D I tried to tell my gym once to remove the explicit songs, but they just said, they have over 700 songs on their list and couldn't possibly go through all. Spotify now has a setting to turn explicit content off, but I guess it's only the most offending stuff.

It gets tiring. Still listen to good songs that are sexually/romantically explicit, though. I also listen to songs about heroin abuse. I can't relate to them at all, but they can still be sound tracks. They all go into the same kind of lala place in my head where I stop paying attention.

I only get really bothered by it when I have to pay attention, like during a book or movie. Music isn't really that "interactive" for me, it is very passive. I can tune out from the lyrics. I can imagine it getting really bad, though.

everywhere and nowhere
27 minutes ago, elisabeth_II said:

My personal opinion when I'm at the gym is: why do they play so much rock, isn't techno much better for work out? :D

Techno isn't good for anything, for me it's just unlistenable. :P I would definitely prefer some dynamic rock music for workout.

For example I really like this track (I can't check if it's the same version because I have moved back to my apartment and for some reason I have no sound in my computer 😭, but I have this track on CD too. Caution: 100% psychedelic jam, but that's the kind of music I like best.) and I think that it would really, really be good for workout.

literallylexi

I tend to avoid singing the parts that mention sex, and I always feel awkward doing it

Archived