Biosphere - Living with Science

AnarchistTactician

AnarchistTactician

Greetings, my fellow science lovers! It is I, Ana, and I come to you with a thread. This thread will be about sharing information about biology and the living world. We will not hesitate to talk about any kingdom, the ecosystem, the effects of disease, and so, so much more. We will post weekly with brand new information that has not been iterated here, and we will jump around. Now, you may wonder, who is we? Why, that is Ninja and I! (He runs the geology thread) Please, sit down, and do relax. No need to overwork your organism. (I'm sure ninja will say something as well, though they may not)

Neuron: AnarchistTactician

Helper T-Cell: Ninja

5303d9cf5d3d843ef9aa269c6bc3d296.jpg

Guest -NULL-

Hello everyone!

As @AnarchistTactician said, I will be the helper T-cell for this topic. We will be hosting a weekly "Science Update" that will showcase new or interesting research that is being done in the field of Biology. We may decide to branch out into other fields that are interconnected with Biology as well. We both hope that you will enjoy this topic and the myriad of different posts that will soon accumulate.

I will be monkeying around in some new research, but feel free to ask questions or convey skepticism. The best scientists are the ones that question everything.

kbkSTlTvJYiTjC0nvlYepJozxUhJkZV-IWdx1b7_SwJPuk1SqPLbCv1tbXe6dDMUC2u0DVag2IIQ86uVGiGi2JxPGc_GNFzalvO3NDal8wuXmtgEBAI1QaZtrV3lxnEw6dnEaLqT

Pictured Above is a Golden Snub Nosed Tamarin

Keep Wondering Aces!

Ninja 🍰 

AnarchistTactician

Tuesday, June 19th's Weekly Topic: Bacteriophages

Image result for bacteriophage diagram,

Above is pictured a diagram of a bacteriophage

Origin of Knowledge: Bacteriophages were discovered in the early 1900s in two different countries separately. These two countries were Great Britain (1915 by Frederick W. Twort) and France (1917 Felix D'Herelle). Like many microscopic discoveries, bacteriophages were discovered by accident.  Frederick was trying to study viruses like the ones that caused rubella, but his dishes kept getting contaminated. When doing this he noticed patches of dead bacteria in his dishes. Being a skeptic, he came to three conclusions. A. The bacteria's lifestyle was rather funky, B. the bacteria were forming some strange enzyme, or C. it was some tiny, tiny virus that latched onto bacteria. Two years later Felix came to the same results. Now, he was a bit more bold and declared it a new virus and called it a bacteriophage. Years later, his theory was confirmed so both of their discoveries were now valid.

Anatomy and 'Biology': Now, bacteriophages don't have overly complicated anatomy.  If you look at the diagram above, you can see the different parts of a phage being labeled. Starting with the head, I shall explain the function of its parts. The head on a phage is in fact a thin protein membrane, designed to hold its DNA. The DNA (Deoxyribonucleic Acid) is the genetic code within the virus that allows it to clone itself inside of a bacterium. The neck on a phage is what the DNA travels through to insert itself within a host bacterium. The collar sheathe is what protects the virus's neck and keeps it from deforming.  The little leg like appendages are called tail fibers, and their purpose is to allow the bacteriophage to latch on to its host bacterium. The base plate is what the phage uses to penetrate the bacterium's membrane, and allows it to pour its DNA inside.

Behavior: Bacteriophage behavior is normal behavior for viruses, but they target bacteria instead of eukaryote cells. What a phage does is that it has mimicry proteins to fool the bacteria into thinking its intrusion and genetic makeup that it inserts is normal. Using its tail fibers, it will latch on to a bacterium and penetrate it using the base plate. After the base plate penetrates the host, it will inject the DNA from the head through the neck and into the bacterium. One could compare this process to being pricked by a needle. Depending on the type, the phage will either merge with the baterial DNA or it will use its lysosomes to lyse the host (which kills it in the process) to unleash more phage particles to infect yet more bacteria. This continues in a cycle, and phages can carry pieces of genes from a former host.

Use in medicine: Now, one might say, "A virus used as an anti-biotic? Impossible!" I would like to point out that many anti-venoms, and vaccines are made from components from the thing that is killing you. Snake venom is used to make anti-venom for that snake and vaccines are made by clustering dead pathogens so your body can form antibodies. At least one species of bacteriophage exists for every bacterial strain out there, meaning there are phages that could potentially eliminate extremely deadly bacteria from our bodies. The problem really, is finding a way to do this, and do it effectively.

Danger Level: Are phages dangerous? Some of you may ask, perhaps, if phages do not affect humans whatsoever on their own. Both of these questions are valid, and the answer to both is yes and no. Phages on their own, pose no threat to humans, and are in fact rather beneficial. However some bacteria such as Staphylococcus (Staph) become dangerous only when infected with phages. In other words, they are a double edged sword that is to be wielded with caution if ever used.

Hopefully this was a satisfying overview of bacteriophages, questions are welcome.

Until next week!

-Anarchist

SorryNotSorry

Hoo boy. I'm all for scientific literacy, but to pay Devil's Advocate, I'm going to imagine what it must feel like to be one of those people who's been taught all their lives that science is a load of BS and that everything happens by magic.

The idea that disease can be caused by a tiny microbe and not by a vengeful ghost... the idea that I can't levitate... the idea that some tea-like concoction doesn't contain anything that can heal... these ideas would either break my heart or cause my brain to short out, probably both.

On 6/20/2018 at 3:52 PM, Woodworker1968 said:

... the idea that I can't levitate...

As a tingler and still improving I do have, since a Year or so the ability to block or surpress, after an x amount of "tingle" time, touch in my hands and fingers. It's not levitation but the sensation of not feeling the table or bed sheets under my hand and fingers is quite enjoyable, even if it took me by surprise the first time it happened.

SorryNotSorry
3 hours ago, Nidwin said:

As a tingler and still improving I do have, since a Year or so the ability to block or surpress, after an x amount of "tingle" time, touch in my hands and fingers. It's not levitation but the sensation of not feeling the table or bed sheets under my hand and fingers is quite enjoyable, even if it took me by surprise the first time it happened.

That sounds more like early-stage neuropathy. :o

J. van Deijck

following the thread, yay.

Guest -NULL-

Wednesday, July 4th's Weekly Topic: Quorum Sensing

Quorum sensing is a novel manner of gene regulation that is dependent upon the population density of cellular organisms. An example of an organism that might use quorum sensing is bacteria; as the bacterial population grows, the amount of a chemical signal molecule called an autoinducer increases in proportion. One there is a reception of the autoinducer that exceeds the threshold concentration for a species of bacteria, there is a consequent gene expression that results. Quorum sensing essentially functions as a form of communication among populations of bacteria and controls or modifies specific physiological activities of the cells.

Quorum sensing is a form of juxtacrine cell signaling. Cells must be in the immediate vicinity of one another to transmit and receive autoinducers and related chemical ligands. If there is a very low cell density in a population of cells, the autoinducers and ligands that are produced will diffuse into the environment before they are received by other cells. In the case of a higher population density, cells will be able to transmit and receive ligands and autoinducers effectively due to the high density and subsequent high concentration of autoinducer molecules within one localized region. Autoinducers also stimulate a positive feedback loop; upon reception of autoinducer molecules, cells will begin to produce and transmit their own autoinducers into the environment for contiguous cell reception.

In bacteria, there are two major, distinguished groups in relation to quorum sensing: gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria. Each group uses a different class of chemical ligands as autoinducers to activate the signaling and communication amongst other cells. The gram-positive class uses peptide (protein-based) signaling molecules, also known as autoinducer peptides, that bind to a two-component histidine kinase receptor. The gram-negative class uses molecules such as acyl-homoserine lactones and other comparatively small molecules as the autoinducers. One major difference between both classes is the ability for the autoinducers to permeate cell membranes: the peptide signaling molecules of the gram-positive class cannot permeate the membrane and must be received by a membrane-bound or membrane-integrate receptor protein in order to facilitate a phosphorylation and allow a phosphate group to be passed to a response regulator found in the cytoplasm; the small molecules produced by the gram-negative class can diffuse through cell membranes and are received by protein receptors found within the cytoplasm of the cell.

An example of a characteristic that can be controlled or regulated by quorum sensing is bacterial virulence. In the case of Staphylococcus aureus (responsible for “Staph” infection) and Bacillus cereus, virulence is a factor of quorum sensing and is dependent on ultralocal population density of organisms. By finding a chemical that can intercept the transmission or reception of these autoinducer virulent-determining molecules, scientists can begin to develop a novel new form of treatment and medication for containing and eliminating pathogens in the body.

Another example can be found in Vibrio fischeri, a species of bacteria that is symbiotic with the Hawaiian Bobtail Squid. Vibrio fischeri exhibits bioluminescence, light that is produced by living organisms, as a product of quorum sensing communication. When population density of Vibrio fischeri is high, there is a concentration of the autoinducer molecule that surpasses the threshold level for gene regulation, and the bacteria begin to produce light.

On 6/20/2018 at 8:52 AM, Woodworker1968 said:

Hoo boy. I'm all for scientific literacy, but to pay Devil's Advocate, I'm going to imagine what it must feel like to be one of those people who's been taught all their lives that science is a load of BS and that everything happens by magic.

The idea that disease can be caused by a tiny microbe and not by a vengeful ghost... the idea that I can't levitate... the idea that some tea-like concoction doesn't contain anything that can heal... these ideas would either break my heart or cause my brain to short out, probably both.

Oh my poor friend. She went to a Mennonite school her entire life and that one fateful day in Science class in Junior High...

Teacher: So, can anyone tell me how life originated.

Friend: *Raises hand*

Teacher: Yes?

Friend: God created life.

Me:*Headdesk* Oh nooooo... Oh you didn't just say that in science class...

Teacher: Well, um... Well that's one theory, of course, but we're, um... You see, this is... And um...

She was so torn between telling her that the Biblical model of life is incredibly outdated and not offending her (or getting into a two-hour philosophical discussion).

Oh and about the tea thing, it does actually have some medicinal qualities, though not nearly what some people will make it out to be.

SorryNotSorry
8 hours ago, WhimBerry said:

Oh my poor friend. She went to a Mennonite school her entire life and that one fateful day in Science class in Junior High...

Teacher: So, can anyone tell me how life originated.

Friend: *Raises hand*

Teacher: Yes?

Friend: God created life.

Me:*Headdesk* Oh nooooo... Oh you didn't just say that in science class...

Teacher: Well, um... Well that's one theory, of course, but we're, um... You see, this is... And um...

She was so torn between telling her that the Biblical model of life is incredibly outdated and not offending her (or getting into a two-hour philosophical discussion).

Oh and about the tea thing, it does actually have some medicinal qualities, though not nearly what some people will make it out to be.

Or you get people why try to do like my aunt does: attempting to hybridize science with pseudoscience.

She'll tell you many ailments are caused by toxins, but if you ask her which toxins, of course she won't be specific. That's because she's not the kind of person who'll question the info she got from whatever snake-oil salesman told her about it in the first place.

Apparently, if you arrange the atoms into a molecule in just the right particular array, voila! Magic! Now you're in the ream of the great shamans!

2 hours ago, Woodworker1968 said:

Or you get people why try to do like my aunt does: attempting to hybridize science with pseudoscience.

She'll tell you many ailments are caused by toxins, but if you ask her which toxins, of course she won't be specific. That's because she's not the kind of person who'll question the info she got from whatever snake-oil salesman told her about it in the first place.

Apparently, if you arrange the atoms into a molecule in just the right particular array, voila! Magic! Now you're in the ream of the great shamans!

I once found a salt lamp online that claimed to remove radiation from the air. Which is just... No.

What is it with people and misinterpreting the word "radiation"? Like one of my friends told me that cell phones caused cancer because they give off radiation and I had to explain to her that since it uses... Either radio waves or microwaves, I forget which, and that's less energetic than visible light, she's more likely to get cancer from a lamp.

• 1 month later...
if only I was a dragon

1) It looks like this is... dead? Sad, I really like it.

2) @WhimBerry ... 実は、読めました。

AnarchistTactician
On 8/30/2018 at 10:59 PM, if only I was a dragon said:

1) It looks like this is... dead? Sad, I really like it.

2) @WhimBerry ... 実は、読めました。

No, I've just not had time to post with the new school year and the work needed.

Following this topic. I hope it revives. Im a horticulturalist with interests in biology, cosmology, neuroscience. At the moment im reading books on the evolution of conciousness ( from Bacteria to Bach, and Back) and cloud formations :D

Any pro scientists here?

Also.. popular science/ non-fiction book recommendations anyone?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2018 at 7:38 PM, Pramana said:

The title of this thread reminds me of those experiments they used to do where people had to live in biospheres!

I applied for a job at Biosphere 2 once. I was so upset when they sold it.

Archived