Demi-Ghost coming out of Hiding

Alice Walpurgis

Alice Walpurgis

Hi guys! I've been a bit of a Casper, floating around the AVEN forums for a while now without ever actually posting anything. Not because I'm nervous! Actually, right now I'm living in Japan and I'm pretty busy and don't usually have enough time to write heartfelt posts in the forums, even though I've wanted to (jeez, I've wanted to)... But I finally got some time this weekend, so it was now or never! 😊 I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and speaking with like-minded individuals; I'm the only ace I know and despite having an upbeat personality... being alone in this IRL can be crushingly lonely sometimes 😭

~ Fun Facts about Me ~

- I believe I've always been grey-a & demi (but I'm still very much learning about asexuality and that identification might change)

- An abusive relationship was the trigger for questioning my sexuality. It was a horrific experience, but I'm so grateful for knowing myself better because of it.

- I love Japanese media culture (video games, anime, manga, music, the works!). I will NEVER turn down an opportunity to talk about it! 😅

- I'm a bonafide old cat lady (even though I'm only 24). My cat, Luna, is both my witch's familiar and substitute child. She's going through her moody teen phase, and she farts on my bed all the time, but I still love her.

If anyone has any advice as a demi, or any stories about how they came to believe they were demi, I'd really appreciate hearing them. I'm still unsure about some parts of the classification, and would just generally be interested in hearing about other experiences. So far, the only point of reference I have is myself 🙂

NickyTannock

Welcome to AVEN!

I know what you mean about feeling lonely not knowing others like yourself in real life, that's the reason I joined.

10.jpg

Welcome! :) Hope you find this forum helpful.

Image result for anime cake

Welcome! What kind of anime are you into? :) 

c3.jpg

Welcome! I know how you feel, it gets lonely not knowing anyone else like you. I hope you'll find a community here :)

Related image

I like japanese media too! Not a hardcore fan but some of my favorite stuff is from there. What are some of your favorite anime/manga/games? And if it's not too personal, what brings you to japan? From the way you said it it seems like you're not originally from there?

Welcome to AVEN Alice! I also love cats, manga, and anime - here's a manga cake!

Related image

What are some of your favorite manga?

Alice Walpurgis

@Deus Ex Infinity @MichaelTannock @TheAP  @Lichley thank you for the welcomes and the cake! They all look delicious 😍

On the subject of cake, @iam135 - that manga cake looks freaking amazing! I spy an XXXHolic tankōbon, and that makes me incredibly happy because I love everything and anything CLAMP touches.

@brook_worm I believe that is, in fact, a sandwich... Actually it reminds me of the strawberry sandwiches you can buy from 7-Elevens over here (in JP). I eat them a lot... aaaaand now I'm kind of hungry for one!

As for everyone's questions about what kind of anime/manga/video games I'm into, the short answer is always 'it's complicated' because I cross into genres I usually don't like much when I find something with a really solid story. Story is pretty much everything to me (I was a lit student at university, so surprise surprise). But I can list off some of my favourites for clarity!

~ Anime ~

Cardcaptor Sakura (Syaoran is bae. Syaoran is life.), Ouran HSHC, Mahoutsukai no Yome, Death Note, Code Geass, Psychopass, Shokugeki no Soma, Kuroko no Basket, Sakamoto Desu Ga, Haikyu!!, Chihayafuru, Yumeiro Patissiere, Puella Madoka Magica, Durarara!!, Marmalade Boy... Mostly favouring shoujo since that was my main genre in my teens, but I'm in a big sports anime phase right now, so any recommendations are welcome.

~ Manga ~

Fruits Basket (favourite of all time, I've read it 5 times 😅) , Ao Haru Ride, Orange, Junjou Romantica, Ten Count, Mirai Nikki, XXXHolic, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, Parasyte, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun (tbh I usually pick up a manga after watching the anime, especially if the story continues)

~ Video Games ~

Persona 3-5, Kingdom Hearts, Pokémon series, Phoenix Wright saga ❤️, Katamari Forever, Okami, The Last Story, Dragon Age & Mass Effect series, Sims, every otome game I can feasibly get my hands on (it's not even a joke that I'm partially learning Japanese so that one day I can enjoy every otome game ever made 🤣)

How about everyone else? What kinds of anime/manga/video games are you guys into? I'm always psyched to meet other people who are into the same things as me so I hope some of our favourites overlap 🙂

Alice Walpurgis
15 hours ago, brook_worm said:

And if it's not too personal, what brings you to japan? From the way you said it it seems like you're not originally from there?

In answer, nope, it's not too personal at all!

I'm originally from South Wales - I've lived there almost all my life in a pretty small, boring town. But I was attending university in England and I finally finished my degree last summer, after a prolonged period of health issues. It was a long, hard road and when I finally got my hands on the diploma I realised I'd spent my entire life working myself to the bone towards a societal goal. I loved my degree but it was finally time to breathe and do something amazing, now the higher ed chains were off. I've always loved Japan and it's my personal goal to make a life out here one day (if only for a few years), so I'm here on a working holiday visa for a year, travelling around and doing voluntary work at hostels, guesthouses and language schools 🙂 Right now, I'm working as a teacher/conversational partner at a language school in Mie prefecture (near Kyoto). We had an earthquake the other day (the one that hit Osaka as a 6.1) and it was pretty terrifying! 😱 

samstreet101

Japanese cheesecake with hello kitty decoration much?

japanese-cheesecake-2.jpg

14 hours ago, Alice Walpurgis said:

How about everyone else? What kinds of anime/manga/video games are you guys into? I'm always psyched to meet other people who are into the same things as me so I hope some of our favourites overlap 🙂

I'm a pretty casual gamer overall, but I am a huge fan of Pokémon - both the games and the anime (though I haven't really kept up anime-wise since Sun & Moon started).

In terms of manga, I mostly tend to read fairly lighthearted, slice of life type stuff - Natsume's Book of Friends, Chi's Sweet Home, and Your Lie in April are a few of my favorites that have anime adaptations. Funnily enough, I actually seem to be the reverse of you where I'll read a manga first and then check out the anime if I find it interesting 😁.

samstreet101
1 hour ago, Alice Walpurgis said:

@samstreet101 that Hello Kitty cake is EPIC 😍

Doesn't it! On video games I've been an avid gamer all my life. Not hugely into Japanese games, JRPGs I often find a little obtuse but Final Fantasy 9 will always have a place in my heart... Reminds me of simpler times.

My wife and I are also cat parents...I currently have one stood on my chest miowing in my face because I haven't given him breakfast yet...

Guest Deus Ex Infinity
On 6/19/2018 at 5:48 PM, Alice Walpurgis said:

@Deus Ex Infinity @MichaelTannock @TheAP  @Lichley thank you for the welcomes and the cake! They all look delicious 😍

On the subject of cake, @iam135 - that manga cake looks freaking amazing! I spy an XXXHolic tankōbon, and that makes me incredibly happy because I love everything and anything CLAMP touches.

@brook_worm I believe that is, in fact, a sandwich... Actually it reminds me of the strawberry sandwiches you can buy from 7-Elevens over here (in JP). I eat them a lot... aaaaand now I'm kind of hungry for one!

As for everyone's questions about what kind of anime/manga/video games I'm into, the short answer is always 'it's complicated' because I cross into genres I usually don't like much when I find something with a really solid story. Story is pretty much everything to me (I was a lit student at university, so surprise surprise). But I can list off some of my favourites for clarity!

~ Anime ~

Cardcaptor Sakura (Syaoran is bae. Syaoran is life.), Ouran HSHC, Mahoutsukai no Yome, Death Note, Code Geass, Psychopass, Shokugeki no Soma, Kuroko no Basket, Sakamoto Desu Ga, Haikyu!!, Chihayafuru, Yumeiro Patissiere, Puella Madoka Magica, Durarara!!, Marmalade Boy... Mostly favouring shoujo since that was my main genre in my teens, but I'm in a big sports anime phase right now, so any recommendations are welcome.

~ Manga ~

Fruits Basket (favourite of all time, I've read it 5 times 😅) , Ao Haru Ride, Orange, Junjou Romantica, Ten Count, Mirai Nikki, XXXHolic, Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles, Parasyte, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun (tbh I usually pick up a manga after watching the anime, especially if the story continues)

~ Video Games ~

Persona 3-5, Kingdom Hearts, Pokémon series, Phoenix Wright saga ❤️, Katamari Forever, Okami, The Last Story, Dragon Age & Mass Effect series, Sims, every otome game I can feasibly get my hands on (it's not even a joke that I'm partially learning Japanese so that one day I can enjoy every otome game ever made 🤣)

Very well, here are some of my too faves to know:

Anime

- Wolf's Rain

- Loveless

- Gravitation

- Death Note

- Yami No Matsuei

Manga

- Wolf's Rain

- Loveless

- Gravitation

- Yami No Matsuei

- Bronze / Zetsuai

- Three Wolves Maountain

- Ame & Yuki

- The Demian Syndrome

- Only You

- Death Note

- Goth

- Ten Count

Video Games & Graphic Novels

- Winds of Change

- Major/ Minor

- Amorous

- Kindred Spirits On the Roof

- The Reject Demon Toko

- Wolf Tails

- Hustle Cat

- Nekopara

- Steins:Gate

- Love / Life Is Strange

- Dust An Elysian Tale

- NieR:Automata

- Highway Blossoms

- Flowers - Le volume sur printemps

- A Kiss for the Petals

- Lonely Yuri

Coming soon:

Lagoon Lounge : The Poisonous Fountain

Alice Walpurgis

Hi guys! I've been super busy with my job this week and haven't even had time to log into the forums. I appreciate your replies and I promise I'll respond when I get the chance ❤️

Archived