Nonsexual?

quentin

literally asexual means devoid of gender rather than a sexual orientation

From the Merriam Webster Dictionary:

1 : lacking sex or functional sex organs <asexual plants>

2 a : involving or reproducing by reproductive processes (as cell division, spore formation, fission, or budding) that do not involve the union of individuals or germ cells <asexual reproduction> <an asexual generation> b : produced by asexual reproduction <asexual spores>

3 : devoid of sexuality <an asexual relationship>

• 1 month later...

Maybe gays should "seek help" too. Oh wait. Thats being homophobic. Ah the hypocrisy of society. Will we ever be free of it?

People seek help for far too many things. People seek help for being different, when they should just realize that diversity is ok!

What an intolerant article.

Asexual and proud!

A growing number of so-called asexuals insist that their indifference toward sex isn't a pathology, but an "orientation" like being gay. But some experts say that instead of comforting themselves with a label, "amoebas" should seek help.

Why seek to cure something that isn't a problem?! I've really been thinking lately about chemical reactions that take place upon orgasm, it's really like a drug. Does it matter if we don't have the urge to share this drug with another person? Why do people seem to insist that it's something that needs fixing? Gah.

hey, it's SwankIvy! I remember reading her site when I was first stumbling around finding stuff on asexuality, long before I joined AVEN :D

Tangled trees

I don't know about you guys, but I've definitely noticed a trend as far as reactions to asexuality go in the 'experts' world. Either they're scientists, and they'll say "There ARE asexuals out there", or they're psychiatrists, and they'll say "There AREN'T, it's a disorder". Exceptions (on either side) seem to be few and very far between. It's like when journalists want to talk positively about it they'll quote a scientist 99% of the time, and then they'll quote a psychiatrist when they want to say bad stuff.

It's somewhat understandable -- in a way, it's a counselor's job to make us fit into what society percieves as normal, and it's a researcher's job to stay open to new possibilities. But still, I find that tendency disturbing. Come on, there's counselors out there that do think asexuality exists. Why don't we hear from them in those articles ?

I'm quite conviced I'm asexual through some kind of brain 'deficiency' or whatever, what with my sheer level of cluelessness and complete inability to feel anything physically or above deep friendship emotionally. But how does that "require help" ? I mean, even if something isn't working in this worthless lump I call brain, what about it ? It doesn't bother anyone and I'm not unhappy -- I can't be unhappy, as I have absolutely no way to know what I'm missing nor to enjoy it, and therefore can't want it. I'm not configured for it. Telling me about the joys of sex is like describing colors to a man blind from birth : the very concept escapes me. How could I want something 'fixed' when it's about as real to me as the Force and Jedi masters ?!

I'm with Parthenos; I don't get those guys' point. Why fix something that isn't a problem ? Is the average person less happy because he's unable to see ultraviolet rays ?

I think people who are always telling people to "seek help" should seek help :lol:

But there are two very totally different angles that they rarely touch on because there are us who are asexual, fine with being asexual, don't care if it's nature or nurture, we feel perfectly normal and don't need help.

There are the others who can't stand who they are, feel like something is wrong with them, think there's something wrong with their partner etc. They may WANT to seek help, not to change who they are but to deal with it or their relationships.

So 'seeking help' is a very broad term. Me? I need help because I'm moving in a few weeks and my dedication to packing is next to nil. Heeeeelp!

• 2 months later...
A bunch of Russians who know what they're talking about... Their leader - Yuri Nesterenko... Antisexual Stronghold

That site is just scary.

If those people take over the world, I'll be leading the revolution...

:shock:

yeep. I'd be right there with ya, Bunny. . .sex may not be for me, but that's ridiculous.

I think you're exagerating... I like their site and I spoke to some of them through e-mail... They're a bunch of nice fellows... They just think having sex is bad for you...

Something I've been wondering for awhile... do you have to look down on sexual people to be considered antisexual? What if it's just the act itself you hate?

Not this shit again!

Arrrgh! It just makes you want to curb-stomp some sense into these people!

I think you're exagerating... I like their site and I spoke to some of them through e-mail... They're a bunch of nice fellows... They just think having sex is bad for you...

Well, they may be nice when you agree with them, but they want everyone to be like them, which is quite rude and arrogant. As long as they are just talking about it on the internet, it doesn't bother me at all, but if they ever got in a place where they could affect my life, you better believe I'd be fighting them tooth and nail.

Plus, I can't help but notice that some of their arguments are just...dumb. Talking about the wasted energy of sex, as if sitting on the internet and arguing about whether sex is evil is any better use of energy. At least sex burns calories! :P

Archived