World Cup 2018

To Be Named Later

To Be Named Later

Been a bit of a slow-grower for me so far (in the sense that I haven't actually watched any matches yet 😮)

But since the "international AVEN meet" was in Iceland this year, their draw against the mighty Argentina (aka Lionel Messi and some others) deserves recognition.  Selfishly, I'm hoping this means they will now be associated with something other than beating England two years ago.

Also - while Morocco v Iran may not seem thrilling on paper, when the alternative is doing some actual work then constant score-checking is a must.

My goal is to have people post (see what I'm doing here?) some discussion on the "net".

Whatever the football equivalent of "play ball!" is, let's do that ☺️

Browncoat10

Argentina (aka Lionel Messi and some others)

Aguero and Di Maria! But yeah, I see your point. Ironically Messi didn't even play that well that game!

And I fully agree about Iceland, hopefully the better they do the more everyone will forget the Euros...

Best game so far clearly Spain vs Portugal right? And I reckon Brazil to win the whole thing...

I enjoyed today's match. Like, a lot :D

I do not really enjoy the surroundings in Russia though. It's too much "safety". You get checked and scanned at every metro stop; whenever you leave the metro, there are a few hundred cops waiting outside. Whenever you want to put your luggage into the storage facilities, you get checked. Want to enter the stadium? Go through "airport security" first.

Oh, but welcome, great to have you :D

38 minutes ago, Browncoat10 said:

Aguero and Di Maria! But yeah, I see your point. Ironically Messi didn't even play that well that game!

And I fully agree about Iceland, hopefully the better they do the more everyone will forget the Euros...

Best game so far clearly Spain vs Portugal right? And I reckon Brazil to win the whole thing...

No one played well for them to be honest. It seems to be a constant theme for them even when they do well in competitions. The only team that have looked good so far are Spain. They dismantled Portugal and should've easily won that game. 

Iceland are a much better team than people realise and maybe after this tournament they will get the recognition. 

I think it will probably be Brazil or Spain winning it. Only other team I see maybe is Germany. 

I really hate that it is in Russia but my football loving heart can't bear to NOT see it. So here I am. I'm not entirely confident in Germany but I still want them to win obviously. 

I fucking love the Icelandic team. I fell in love with them two years ago when they shocked everyone at the Euros by beating England in the knockout round. I was really hoping they would qualify for the World Cup and ever since it was announced like 6 months ago I've been looking forward to it. I think Iceland has something really special. I'm not expecting them to get too far but I hope they at least make it past the knockout round. Their match with Argentina was so tense this morning. I got up super early just to watch them. When they first came out on the field I couldn't believe how chill they were about the whole thing. I love that they don't really give a damn they're one of the biggest underdogs in the entire tournament, they just do their thing. Their coach is a dentist. They are such a relatable and cool group of guys. I love them so much. They're one of the grittiest, spunkiest sports teams I've ever seen, in any sport. And I just love their Viking clap thing. :lol: 

Other than that, I always enjoy the World Cup. Other than being a sports fan in general, I think one of the coolest things is seeing everyone's different cultures existing (usually) peacefully side by side.

I'm in the "ICELAND Hell yeah!" group. And adding to what @Palovana said about their relatability, the POlish commentators mentioned that the captain (?) engages in long chats with fans after games. Here's a down-to-earth team :)

Australia's game was cool to watch too. They didn't back down.

Spain v Portugal of course takes the cake so far :)

Any of you has been to a local "fan zone"? Are there any where you are?

@Homer

I take it you're in Russia right now?

11 minutes ago, Palovana said:

I love that they don't really give a damn they're one of the biggest underdogs in the entire tournament, they just do their thing.

That's probably the craziest part. They have got plan A and that's it. They play the same way against Argentina as they do against Kosova... and it works. If they only had a deeper squad! Looking forward to the Nigeria match now :D

Gunnarsson is such a great guy. When they sealed a spot in the last 16 at the Euros, that bear of a guy sat there, trying to answer interview questions. 30 seconds in and he started bawling his eyes out. Humble, but also really proud. It's a proud nation, don't ever underestimate that.

Messi is a beast. He couldn't really come up with much today, but he is scary as fuck. Whenever he's on the ball, it has the potential to inflict damage. Crazy dude. The hype around him is beyond ridiculous. How does one single human handle that much pressure? All eyes on him, day in and day out. *tips hat*

@Piotrek Typing this from Moscow :)

@Homer I don't think I have ever seen Iceland look like they're intimidated by anyone, except in the quarterfinal match vs France at the Euros, which turned out to be the disaster everyone was expecting. But for the most part, they have this sort of quiet strength and composure and just seem indifferent to all the naysayers and people who don't want to take them seriously. I just love that, I have so much respect for them.

They were just exhausted against France. Nine of their starting XI had been booked before and they didn't really change much over the course of all five matches. Still put in everything, I guess none of them could walk the day after the match.

Nevertheless, they could easily have conceded eight goals that day... but they also had a chance to make it 2-2 before halftime. You never know.

Maybe Panama is in for a surprise against England as well :D

27 minutes ago, Homer said:

Messi is a beast. He couldn't really come up with much today, but he is scary as fuck.

When he has Iniesta behind him ;) 

Also agree about Gunnarsson, briefly met him in his time at Coventry City, super nice guy!

56 minutes ago, Homer said:

They were just exhausted against France. Nine of their starting XI had been booked before and they didn't really change much over the course of all five matches. Still put in everything, I guess none of them could walk the day after the match.

Nevertheless, they could easily have conceded eight goals that day... but they also had a chance to make it 2-2 before halftime. You never know.

Maybe Panama is in for a surprise against England as well :D

I have 0 expectations for England this tournament but to get knocked out by Panama or Tunisia would be embarrassing but in a way unsurprising. 

Argentina is my less favorite team (sorry to anyone from there) and Iceland is among my best loved ones, so I really enjoyed today's match!

Browncoat10
1 hour ago, Homer said:

Messi is a beast. He couldn't really come up with much today, but he is scary as fuck. Whenever he's on the ball, it has the potential to inflict damage. Crazy dude. The hype around him is beyond ridiculous. How does one single human handle that much pressure? All eyes on him, day in and day out.

Yeah. And same applies to Ronaldo of course. It's credit to his skill that Spain vs Portugal was such a good match. I mean it was almost literally just Spain vs Ronaldo. Dude's insane.

And surely, surely, England can get to the quarters this year...? I mean, we must be able to get out of the group, and then whether we come first or second the most difficult team we could meet in the last 16 is probably Poland. After that though we get either Brazil or Germany in the quarters (assuming they get that far which they obviously will!) I don't really have huge expectations for England, but that said this does look like the best squad we've had in a long time. Southgate inspires confidence as well, and it probably helps in a way that they don't as a team have a huge amount of previous world cup experience. Y'know, no memories of horribly embarrassing past failures. And because everyone has such low expectations, there's not really that much pressure either. 

Purple Wanderer

I've watched most games so far. Nothing comes close to spain portugal yet

SpaceDustbin

Man, Argentina/Iceland was an intense match! I was shouting at my tv more often than not :lol:

i was chatting with a friend from Argentina at the same time, which kept it fun, supporting the other side 😛

Denmark also managed to win, so yesterday was a good day ;)

Now keeping my fingers crossed for Sweden and Belgium who'll be playing on Monday 

Today Brazil and Germany will show if there's some truth to this "favourite" talk.

Also, this was shot before the World Cup, but you may still be interested :)

Guest Deus Ex Infinity

I'm not much into sports but it would be nice to see Iceland go for it this time ..against all odds! :D Germany won't be able to defend the title. Our players are totally messed up atm *lol*

50 minutes ago, Deus Ex Infinity said:

Germany won't be able to defend the title. Our players are totally messed up atm *lol*

We'll see. We don't need much; a goal here, a goal there, Neuer with eight arms and there we are.

I'm glad that Croatia beat Nigeria yesterday. That's a match ball for Iceland against the Africans now. Croatia will be way harder to play and I assume that Argentina will get their shit together now.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH :D I mean: "OOOH!"

I've not seen any coverage yet but is Neuer confirmed to be playing? He's been injured all season so didn't know if he would go for Ter Stegen instead. 

Browncoat10

Germany Mexico, what a game! That save by the Mexican keeper for the free kick. I mean that's already gotta be a contender for save of the Cup?

To Be Named Later
10 hours ago, Piotrek said:

Also, this was shot before the World Cup, but you may still be interested

Enjoyed that - thanks!

Now Switzerland holding Brazil. There've been a few unexpected results, and, so far, very few duff matches 

SpaceDustbin

Watching Sweden - South Korea right now (in a virtually empty pub, so I've got a whole couch for myself :lol: )

Sweden had quite a lot of chances in the second part of the first half - let's hope they can finally get one in

^ *is watching the same match*

Nishni Novgorod is a real clash of the worlds. The train station is somewhat in the city centre. Then there's a path into the town to attend the "fan fest" activities. It's clean and tidy. Opposite direction is towards the ground. Clean and tidy. Third path leads to where I stay :D Lada cars, buses from 1964, swimming pool sized potholes. If I wanted to make you believe that the wall was still up, I'd take you for a walk right here.

This WC is as far away from reality as it gets. An absolute freak show.

Browncoat10

Damn, as a Spurs fan I was kinda rooting for SK and Sonny :) Never mind.

Let's assume that there's a situation like in the Sweden v Korea match. Should have been a penalty, but wasn't awarded - but this time, Korea score on the counter attack before they get the chance to review.

What now?

I despise this review crap. It's okay for baseball, American Football or tennis, where you can just reset the score or put the ball and the players back where they were before... but football is much more fluent than that. It just doesn't sit right.

Archived