• 8pm
    • 9pm
    • 10pm
    • 11pm
    • Midnight
    • It depends on the season
    • Don't know

This poll is closed to new votes

When does afternoon end and evening start?

To an hour. I guess 6pm as this is the time a lot of people are getting home from school or work but then on summer when it is still hot outside at 7pm, it doesn't seem very eveningy.

Scottthespy

For me, five o'clock is an arbitrary time when it feels late enough to be considered 'evening'. There is no real justification or reasoning behind this, its just how it feels for me. Its almost half way between mid day and midnight, but its when the people in my life tend to be making dinner. Also most of them go to bed before twelve am, so its sort of the halfway point of their 'after noon but before bed' span of time.

Grumpy Alien

I dunno. I think at 5, I would say it’s late afternoon. But at 6, it’s evening because most people are home by then and the sun starts to set during colder months. 

SpaceDustbin

Somewhere between 5 and 6 (voted for 5). Everything until 5.30pm is afternoon (at least.. for me), and everything after is evening. Mostly because dinner time for me could be anywhere from 5.30, making it evening in my book.

For me it's 7pm. It's during or right about dinner time for a lot of people, so after would be the couple of free hours for either an evening out or time people use to wind down from the day. 

6 to me is too close to the end of the work day (hour commute time) and there wouldn't have been any time to yourself and is still too close to the work day clock, so I can't see anything earlier than that as evening, but 6 could be possible but it's rarely sundown then so it wouldn't feel right for evening to be 6 to me.

I say 1800 

To my way of thinking 

0000-0600 =night

0600-1200 = morning 

1200-1800 = afternoon 

1800-0000 = evening 

Whereas day and night are variable according to the season 

I'd probably say around 7/8 during summer 

Maybe earlier in the winter seasons like 5/6 when it gets darker earlier 

To me, once I've eaten dinner it feels like the day switches from afternoon to evening.  Usually I eat around 5pm, so 5pm is when I think of evening starting.

0-24: Ugh

Seriously though, over the years terms like "morning", "Wednesday" or "two months ago" lost all their meaning.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

@iff

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived