The Strat Column

Guest -NULL-

Guest -NULL-

Geology.gif

~For your daily dose of geology, mineralogy, and all things Earth science.~

Hello everyone.

Welcome to my mineral science thread!

I will post photos and photo-micrographs of minerals here.

These will be featured from my collection.

I hope to update this thread on a daily or weekly basis, so you can expect a new mineral image each day!

💎ROCK ON.⛏️

Guest -NULL-

June 16th, 2018

[Quick Disclaimer: This specimen is from a museum collection; I do not own this specimen.]

Photo Credit: Ninja

JhaihlirOB7AADnvairljn5rUumkVC5sSyEMSR9AkJwfY6nYOtHaYR_JSjCo3n879NUyfauOVhkha90IvxntvfdB3ug9G63IvPtqsyIWAEuNXsGRieHuzYbnMcH-s0-y00tNhP1r

Specimen Description: Large Cubic, Yellow Fluorite with Etching on the Crystal Faces Embedded in Matrix

Locality: [Unfortunately, I do not have record of this]

Property of Houston Museum of Nature and Science in Houston, Texas

Ninja 🍰

Hell yeah! Geology rocks!

Also that's a cool cube, it almost looks like it contains a mountain landscape.

Guest -NULL-

June 17, 2018

[Quick Disclaimer: This specimen is from a museum collection; I do not own this specimen.]

eQBBAD81BPJOZC03exmggpaEJK2jyCITE13l9Kt9zBUPiO0tS53uuoSonm8j23fg6Kbdj-JCFXYJ4LSxFBlin6WG85Lb5I2lPQoqOqBVch2eDQYwcjNxJ4bqO1ZRy7KJymMCsyX-

Specimen Description: Pentagonite Crystals in Stilbite Matrix

Locality: India

Property of Carnegie Museum of Natural History in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Quick Mineral Facts:

Pentagonite is typically a blue-green mineral with a translucent diaphaneity.

Identification Statistics:

Pentagonite has a light blue streak and a hardness of 3-4 accompanied by a density of 2.33g/cm^3.

Ninja 🍰

Spoiler

I found an interesting twinning habit for Pentagonite, and I thought that I would share this image. This image is not mine; I will give credit to the website that owns this image.

Image result for pentagonite twins

This is a contact twin of Pentagonite. You are looking down the twin axis, which is located at the center of the "star".

Locality: Wagholi, India

Photo Credit: https://i.pinimg.com/236x/07/ed/60/07ed60470bade3918ceff313f2d8a9d4--image-search-amber.jpg

23 hours ago, Ninja said:

June 17, 2018

eQBBAD81BPJOZC03exmggpaEJK2jyCITE13l9Kt9zBUPiO0tS53uuoSonm8j23fg6Kbdj-JCFXYJ4LSxFBlin6WG85Lb5I2lPQoqOqBVch2eDQYwcjNxJ4bqO1ZRy7KJymMCsyX-

Specimen Description: Pentagonite Crystals in Stilbite Matrix

Locality: India

Property of Carnegie Museum of Natural History in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Quick Mineral Facts:

Pentagonite is typically a blue-green mineral with a translucent diaphaneity.

Identification Statistics:

Pentagonite has a light blue streak and a hardness of 3-4 accompanied by a density of 2.33g/cm^3.

Ninja 🍰

Hide contents

I found an interesting twinning habit for Pentagonite, and I thought that I would share this image. This image is not mine; I will give credit to the website that owns this image.

Image result for pentagonite twins

This is a contact twin of Pentagonite. You are looking down the twin axis, which is located at the center of the "star".

Locality: Wagholi, India

Photo Credit: https://i.pinimg.com/236x/07/ed/60/07ed60470bade3918ceff313f2d8a9d4--image-search-amber.jpg

The second one looks like a real life crystal gem gem😁

Dang, I only saw that second one just now. Unless you edited it in after I had already read the post.

It looks like the cursor in Mario Galaxy to me.

Guest -NULL-

June 18, 2018

[Quick Disclaimer: This is a specimen from my collection. I will post some focused case studies of the crystal habits as photo-micrographs.]

oTpSbwqE1zZNT14dUp8pN9WbVEj61lbGqJH6zzUfZepZ15GqBHlwnKnZtVhQURQTJ07c4VcEZI6BS6USETfP93mvrnnIDm3IMDmuy34WfRlnQITFPRtDyujD_lOt3aX4MlyeU_k1

Specimen Description: Pyrite Blades/Planes Associated with Sphalerite

Locality: Gilman Mining District, Gilman, Colorado

Property of Ninja's Personal Collection

Quick Specimen Facts

Sphalerite is a primary ore of zinc; it is the mineral that made Gilman a worthy mining district. The Pyrite growing in planes is accommodating for the space that the Sphalerite crystals already encompassed.

Quick Mineral Facts

Pyrite: Pyrite is simply iron disulfide, a common sulfide mineral found in many areas of the world in metamorphic, igneous, and sedimentary rocks. Commonly known as "Fool's Gold," Pyrite can actually contain a significant amount of lattice included gold atoms, weakening the name "Fool's Gold." In some hydrothermal deposits that have been altered by metasomatism, it is not uncommon to find gold and pyrite in close association with one another. Sulfur complexes act as transportation vectors for gold dissolved in solution, so when the gold precipitates out or bonds to sites of high entropy, it is possible to have associated formation of sulfide minerals due to the solution chemistry.

Sphalerite: Sphalerite is a zinc sulfide mineral that is the world's most reputable source for zinc. Due to the sulfide component of the mineral, it is understandable that the Sphalerite would be associate with Pyrite, an iron sulfide mineral, in this instance. The chemical formula for this mineral is (Zn,Fe)S, where the iron atoms may substitute for zinc atoms in the lattice in an occurrence of up of 25 weight percent.

Further Study

This specimen exhibits an interesting crystal habit for the pyrite, which could explain some of the hydrothermal geochemistry of the Gilman deposit. I will investigate this further and update this thread with any of my discoveries.

Ninja 🍰

Guest -NULL-

June 19, 2018

[Quick Disclaimer: This is a specimen from my collection. This is a focused photo-micrograph of the previous specimen.]

40X Magnification

h7AnfEvCnJF2M_dFi4B_nQ6yoplIcV9KmGtIdSzoso5ACSMqcC61C6EcPobnGeGVAjpPk9pD2TLyam1ZlcAj9MTsit3BdZ_W20uBxRoqK8o7oJBWDTF9M7aSq9jqITaZaJucM48f

I apologize for the low quality of the photo. I am attempting to buy a proper attachment for my microscope that will enable me to photograph with greater ease.

Specimen Description: Crytalline Sphalerite with Sphalerite Penetration Twinning with Pyrite Cubes in the Background (Notice Striations)

Property of Ninja's Mineral Collection

Quick Mineral Facts

The Sphalerite in this image exhibits a trigonal crystal habit and shows intergrowths, the growth of unit lattices of a crystal in two different yet interconnected axis. The Pyrite that is visible in the background exhibits a cubic crystal habit and shows striations (indented lines) along the crystal faces. This photo-micrographs demonstrates that the Sphalerite crystals are not translucent, which indicates that these crystals have a significant amount of iron impurities (Fe replacement of Zn in the lattice) which reduces the diaphaneity.

Discoveries

I suspect that the Gilman Mining District was a sulfide vein deposit that just so happened to contain enough zinc to promote the formation of the Sphalerite crystals,

June 19, 2018 BONUS

-C1VqXgiQjX-AFtzairhjxmZRYsXCPQaq-DkWtQJwetfwupKfl-i7Teak837MyVgrmScHDwJf5HTwrs-j3Qe1DPHp_cfikls43eeeQ_SojCDSqtUWFinDnvLle1YyR9Ei1kXxXss

This is an image of the entire specimen. This should supplement the previous day's post and should exhibit the full size of the sample.

*See Previous Notes for More Information*

What I see:

Spr_3r_299.png

(Please tell me I'm not the only one who sees a nose on that crystal.)

Guest -NULL-

June 20, 2018

[Quick Disclaimer: This is a specimen from my collection. This is another focused photo-micrograph of the specimen from June 18.]

40x Magnification

yH2o7tGY77qZF28uYbk0V-DHmfT1PVDyUbulx4Oo7YAo8bP4cZ_WIMOemqG97UT0DijTKiSwmRvub8mxB2rB_l0UCChFv3brUuMtiO9qriIviNVqi6doPC-wG0E7QyyeyqBmSglX

Specimen Description: An Etched Crystal of Sphalerite is Surrounded by Pyrite Crystals

Quick Mineral Facts

The Sphalerite crystal in focus in the image exhibits a trigonal crystal habit with etching along the face in the view. In close association with the Sphalerite are the yellow-gold hued Pyrite crystals with a cubic crystal habit.

Ninja 🍰

Guest -NULL-

June 21, 2018

[Quick Disclaimer: This is a specimen from my collection. This is another focused photo-micrograph of the specimen displayed in the post from June 18.]

40x Magnification

Z6vhKUz0rh0Zx3fiVdpAi5ksNDQleNaUtMEUSykngGNysC3QbfhcXWLVhVNtDJO9c-95rEoVHkrAEBIdY7A9fG-3JPdSpKjG7F-I3bs8SbuhmeA8-TpbckJIuwB6qln4cvqJchCy

Specimen Description: Sphalerite Crystal Cluster (With Intergrowths) on Pyrite Crystal Matrix

Quick Mineral Facts

The Sphalerite crystals shown here are intergrown but not necessarily twinned with one another. This is one of the more interesting Sphalerite clusters on the specimen. One of the Sphalerite crystals in the lower portion of the center of the cluster is reflecting a patch of light that reveals some possible striations. These striations are not typically exhibited in Sphalerite but are commonly exhibited in Pyrite crystals, especially on this specimen. This Sphalerite crystal could possible be a pseudomorph, a mineral replacement of one crystal by another while retaining the original crystal habit of the predecessor.

Ninja 🍰

Moved from Off-A to PPS by member request

Lia

Off-A Mod

Guest -NULL-

June 22, 2018

[Quick Disclaimer: This is a specimen from my collection. This is another focused photo-micrograph of the specimen displayed in the post from June 18.]

40X Magnification

C9vltAr8fqPGtQcoyy_dhYfmlfniPBN0trz6EtyHIvJte4LPjXpr0jMwIpgLAEeV_fkOdf3o97FTRTL68FGuLrQVAnjQPnFWTGMxP6keSXElIeQZk8jKgQxYtSR8YEUHBMblkSoV

Specimen Description: Crystals of Pyrite (Habit: Cubic, Every Face Centered; Striated Faces)

Quick Mineral Information

The Pyrite crystals in this specimen show that the Gilman deposit must be a sulfide (hydrothermal) deposit that is rich in a variety of different sulfide minerals. The intergrowths and pseudomorphs found in the area suggest that there may have been subsequent introductions of hydrothermal fluids or metamorphic alteration in the area throughout the time of its formation. 

Ninja 🍰

AnarchistTactician

Now, this is a bit different than your normal broadcast, but this IS a thread about geology. Cheers!

20180623_174548.jpg?width=282&height=376

Guest -NULL-

June 23, 2018

[Quick Disclaimer: This is a specimen from my collection. This is another focused photo-micrograph of the specimen displayed in the post from June 18.]

40X Magnification

MZTjyuE2_37HszI8MOcyAeEegwsQEOIEmjA4lEjsT30rZEL6AEwaezNO4xiT5-O2A0qYr3U4_kbDnZ8myQuj7UOvfbJobyXqWLxLjmJq0Kms1yVGXyhkAWXFm_i16pA8enzofg9B

Specimen Description: Sphalerite Crystal Embedded in a Pyrite Crystal Matrix

Quick Mineral Information:

This Sphalerite crystal is a good example of the isometric crystal system that Sphalerite belongs to. This is a somewhat modified tetrahedron (as evidenced by the small triangular face at the tip). It is also possible to see "etchings" or small intergrowths of Sphalerite within the main polyhedron of the crystal.

Ninja 🍰

Guest -NULL-

June 23, 2018 EXTRA

[Quick Disclaimer: This is a specimen from a museum collection; I do not own this specimen.]

oeBoj9-wxcCm9-ijEYIaO2agqYTrGJqFGajIkuq83D2zYnTkP7VhNlZExpjx9wGbVHkvV8oHMQW4XOJpHk8BGS3jgYw-kOgXXZO5Wwf2ctI9CHSAJtpJ78KOa59pV3eTlKd4Q03_

Specimen Description: Quartz Crystal Overgrowth on Rhodochrosite

Locality: Greece

Property of Carnegie Museum of Natural Science, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Rhodochrosite is the state mineral of Colorado and is now a rare find in the state. One of the areas in Colorado that is the most famous for its Rhodochrosite is the Sweet Home Mine.

Ninja 🍰

So this is where this thread went.

This quartz looks like rocks that have been out in the snow during winter and got all frosted. :3

Guest -NULL-

June 24, 2018

[Quick Disclaimer: This is a specimen from a museum collection; I do not own this specimen.]

CRtx4hJ2zXA6Z47zpiBgJN-f_FYmRHrDTwgf1vwX1iIIDZIODxAXX1j3fYYxIEf0vaii-gNk9xx-dGdoh9sqJSepMhrqM5WVb6ORkvC5Km5T3VcJK0q2fRYT5I8DJWVY9MIo-4WP

Specimen Description: Galena Crystals (Silver/Argentiferous) on Siderite (Brown-Khaki Crystals) on Quartz (Large Sea Urchin-Looking Spines)

Locality: Romania

Property of Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Galena is a lead oxide mineral and has served as a primary ore of lead since the history of its initial discovery. The Galena crystals on this specimen show an interesting octahedral crystal structure. The Siderite crystals have completely encrusted the Quartz crystals, making the Quartz appear as if it has many smaller khaki-orange colored crystals growing out of it.

Ninja ⛏️

Oooh I like this one. It looks like some kind of turtle with rocks and crystals growing out of its shell.

Guest -NULL-
16 minutes ago, Ammy said:

Oooh I like this one. It looks like some kind of turtle with rocks and crystals growing out of its shell.

@Ammy, I thought it quasi-resembled a lionfish! 🙂

lionfish-factsheet.jpg

35 minutes ago, Ninja said:

@Ammy, I thought it quasi-resembled a lionfish! 🙂

lionfish-factsheet.jpg

It does too! So it's a turtlefish!

AnarchistTactician

I'm seeing a stonefish with spikes.

Guest -NULL-

June 25, 2018

qmB9Rv4XOKbupdd2FSYjsNvLFZqpBtesykfX9HnTum1H2WpT7ocKYjjmh5nfBlHEC3IVnXLc4Ar86lj7PHaEBCL-CA5rbZsBirUaoBtaVVfjBSyMNHqdag15A5zf2pR7_zZGvCED

Specimen Description: Crocoite Crystals

Locality: Arizona

Property of Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

These Crocoite crystals are typically yellow-orange and have a chemical composition of Pb(CrO4). This classifies the mineral in the chromate group. [WIP]

Ninja ⛏️

Guest -NULL-

June 26, 2018

[Quick Disclaimer: This is a specimen from my collection. This is another focused photo-micrograph of the specimen displayed in the post from June 18.]

20X Magnification

xdj8EUSem9a7_EiJiAr7PF7eSn4c9jmZN1PWmACJd_kXxul0z-ic-vIK5NkVrzr_MJgKlSqwHQU_uXtaszHK88fdGwmS8LFpkg5ZsyQl-_f1n6Hzue09O6R1bsv3whGiPctR8T6f

Specimen Description: Tetragonal Sphalerite Crystals with Intergrowths on Pyrite Crystal Matrix

Locality: Gilman Mining District, Gilman, Colorado

Check out the interesting tetragonal Sphalerite crystal that is growing out of the face of a Pyrite crystal in the center of the microscope objective.

Ninja ⛏️

Guest -NULL-

June 27, 2018

20X Magnification

_aiVrlyBp7Lw-4PhzJL6VzeTP0vhlFR6IarpdRztj9rj6ewwfI1aTzQ8soKTWezAYDFRzUcx6VYpXfSEaxcUCNfGzZWUyb0Qy0wKJpk-Eb8TanwUGwHnEzjOawyY_ijz0xhh-5ve

Specimen Description: Tetragonal Sphalerite forming a Dipyramidal Crystal Structure Surrounded by a Matrix of Pyrite

It is interesting to see a dipyramid structure for the Sphalerite in this specimen. The aspect of this crystal being an intergrowth suggests that there may have been re-introduction of fluids or metamorphic alteration in the area.

Ninja ⛏️

Guest -NULL-

June 28, 2018

20X Magnification

GiFvfNySGawNydbA-b2XETwyXMVLVqIpTYCK4X2ZiWi93uCwJwv_MhNeO5qK7tchpXMZ-lZYiFq4_gzneWV33fHSiTGI7dkw4W27pbahVkka7abPte6xn49P5KGOhKAEmoQKuLpQ

Specimen Description: A Sphalerite Tetrahedron Surrounded by Pyrite

[Technically Property of the Earth's Lithosphere]

This Sphalerite crystal is exhibiting one of the common crystal habits for this chemical composition. There are slight modifications to the crystal structure at the vertices of the crystalline lattice. This could be due to growth differences in the environment of formation or may pertain to the formation of a Sphalerite pseudomorph after Pyrite

Ninja ⛏️

Guest -NULL-

June 29, 2018

[Quick Disclaimer: This is a specimen from a museum; this is not my own specimen.]

X0njiFNZvSdYK2wz-7of5KWXOjIRN89LxA-2V74YWD9bLmY_Cp_4rDfdVglp2it6P9HsZ8lm9F4IB7kH5q8HCiRMwGdkusW9Mje8JV4XZJ3t1CeMxNYONTP9wJShewtLG77SUiC1

Specimen Description: Smoky Quartz Crystals Associated with Amazonite Crystals (From Pegmatite Vein)

Locality: Blue on Black Claim, Teller County, Colorado

Property of Florissant Colorado Museum Collection

Ninja ⛏️

Guest -NULL-

June 30, 2018

[Quick Disclaimer: This is a specimen from a museum; this is not my own specimen.]

pGOPVbs_Ly1mvwaFIn-j6bEIHXDR9MuS_ajnRlu3TtlIbNl1gQ-qxxfCp_jXwF7HJqeacwb-uVEoldJG1B3amppp7s0x6KU2IaR6ReQ4qBLfMBYt8mItfc_dSKdqOfvIFL7uDQFc

Specimen Description: Uralite Crystals from an Iron Deposit

Locality: Calumet Iron Mine, Chaffee County, Colorado

Property of Florissant Museum Collection

Ninja ⛏️

Archived